cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acceptable G75vw HDD's and SSD's

guitarguise
Level 7
Hi everyone, this is my first post so I'm hoping to get a response eventually. I'd like to be a part of this ASUS ROG community; it seems like it's full of people who know what the hell they're doing.

Anyways, I recently purchased a ROG G75VW and I'm looking to increase my hard disk space. For now I'm only interested in space, so I'm looking into HDD instead of SSD. However, I don't know what size is acceptable.

Is a 3.5 inch HDD alright? I found the Seagate Barracuda on Amazon for only $101, 2TB. It seems a little too good to be true compared to the other prices of HDD's, so I was wondering whether it's because it's incompatible with the limited slot that laptops have. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST2000DM001-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B005T3GRN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

If this is not compatible with my G75VW, then please tell me what my best option is (I'm looking for size more so than speed, but I don't want it any slower than 3GB/s).

Also, I would eventually like to upgrade to SSD so my OS will run faster. Is ANY SSD acceptable?

Many many thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

rewben
Level 13
hi @guitarguise, welcome 🙂

the largest and compatible hdds that fit in the slots are 2.5" 9.5mm 5400/7200rpm 1tb hdd; they should be able to run at 3gb/s (sata2). if you're considering for size only, you can put in up to 3tb i.e. 3x1tb hdd (for hdd bay slots 1 and 2; and then replace the dvdrom with a hdd caddy that houses the 3rd one).

as for ssds, yes, any ssd would be fine, in theory. however, there were reports about 'incompatibility' of certain ssds for some 'unknown' reasons. generally there are 2 types of consumer ssds: consumer ('normal') and performance. the difference between the two types are performance, and price.

3.5" is for desktop.

Thank you for the information!

I think I might end up doing that with the caddy eventually. I really never use my CDROM.

Another question, though. Should I ever expect the 2.5" SATAII drive to hold 2TB? Or is 1TB looking like the best we'll ever do?

Thanks again :).

rewben
Level 13
note that if you're always plugged in then you should be fine with the 3-hdd setup; i think it will affect battery life.

i don't know if there is a possibility for a hdd to reach 2tb AND the size can be reduced to fit into the hdd bay. there is a 2tb 2.5" hdd but it's thick. also note that due to declining market, seagate will stop producing 2.5" 7200rpm hdd before the end of this year.

Clintlgm
Level 14
If you really need that much storage. You might look into an external hard drive connected through your USB 3.0 ports, these you can go to 3 TB no problem. Or as I do multiple 2.5" external hard drives a bit more expensive than for 3, 1 TB but also a much smaller package when your mobile and no power supply required they are powered by your USB ports!
Then go for a SSD for your OS Drive and enjoy a fantastically fast computer.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I wonder if the Thunderbolt port might also be an option for high speed external storage devices??
G75VW-DH71

If you actual have one, Your OP states G75VW I don't think any of those actualy have Thunderbolt, Not sure what is available in external drives for Thunderbolt at this time. If you find something it will likely be very expensive. Really I find that with a 256 GB SSD, you have a very fast computer. With up to 1 GB 2nd drive lots of storage and convenient. If more storage is needed you can get 1 GB 2.5" external drives for around $100 or less on sale. If your using as a desk top replacement like me you can connect a NAS box or 3.5" up to 3 GB external hard drive I think you can get into one of those for around $150 if you look around. It seems to me that USB 3.0 transfers are pretty close to internal hard drive speeds. You are limited by the NB you have as to what you can put in there. Its not like a WS or Desk Top where you have more room.

I guess there are some Thunderbolt external hard drives available check this link out
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thank you everyone for your input! They were all very helpful 🙂

Living_Room_Roc
Level 7
@guitarguise, I am going to just chime in here under the assumption that you are planning to use your G75 for audio from what your member name suggests (that you are a musician). If I am wrong, forget this post...

I too am a musician and have a G55 for the purpose of recording (when traveling/mobile). If you do have this in mind for your G75, then let me strongly suggest you go with SSDs. A 7200 rpm HDD is ok, but you will be better off with SSD if you are using audio samples for soft synths as well as your OS and program(s). I would even suggest a SSD for your audio recordings/projects (not to mention a minimum of 8GB of RAM). So, speed is a factor you may want to consider. I would also suggest an external drive as previously mentioned. Audio can take up a huge amount of storage particularly if you are recording at 24bit and 48 sample rates or above (which are the most common settings in a DAW). In this scenario, it only makes sense to save older project on the external drive and keep your currently projects on an internal drive (separate from you OS and programs drive). That would be three internal drives and one external drive (which can be a 3.5 HDD).

Just food for thought. Feel free to ask me anything about the DAW related stuff.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
And that just ain't greasy kid stuff.

geo355
Level 7
Didn't particularly want to start a new thread so hoping my question can be answered here.

I'm looking for a 512gb SSD for my G75vw. Money isn't an issue. I'm basically looking for the best and most suitable SSD for the G75.

I've come across this is this good value for money? Bare in mind it's Australian currency, although very little difference in conversion rate. I'd pick it up myself as I live just around the corner from the store so no delivery charge necessary.

Any thoughts? Is this a Desktop only SSD or can it fit in the slots in the G75vw? I know it needs to be 2.5" just notsure if it needs to be a specific design. Any better options?

My laptop is 6 months old but below is my spec incase anyone wants to know..

Model: G75vw T1120V
Ram: 24gb (16gb Kingston, 8gb Hyundai) warranty unvoided
CPU: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.3ghz (8 CPU's), 2.3ghz (non-overclocking)
GPU: Geforce GTX 670m - 3gb
Storage: 1.5TB HDD (x2 750gb)