cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice on planed gaming PC.

phoenix132
Level 7
hey, I'm very new to computer build and I would like some advice on a gaming system that I'm planing on building sometime in the next month or two, the parts, budget, etc are all listed below. What I would like is if anyone with some more experience then me (i.e pretty much everyone here) could give some advice on the parts that I've chosen. any help is appreciated.

Budget: around $2000 (AUD)
Main uses of intended build: gaming, school work and video capture
Parts required:all parts other then external peripherals (eg mouse, audio, monitor)
Previous build information (list details of parts): my last computer was bought prebuilt online
Monitor resolution:NA
Storage requirements:in parts list
Will you be overclocking: yes
Any motherboard requirements? not really
Extra information about desired system: extra parts will be added later.

Parts list:
case: NZXT switch 810, gunmetal black
PSU: OCZ Technology ZX Series 1250W
motherboard: asus rampage IV extreme
CPU: intel core-i7 3820
graphics card: MSI GeForce gtx 680 twin frozr II
memory: corsair dominator platinum (2X4)
HDD: segate barracuda 1TB
CPU cooler: corsair h100i

All the parts are being bought from a store here in AUS, and yes I am planing on buying more memory and a second graphics card later on. thanks for helping 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

kkn
Level 14
find another PSU then the OCZ, corsair have a few good ones.
try and get a psu from a well known brand.

thanks for the advice, is there any particular corsair ones around the same price range?

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, phoenix132.

Instead of opting for a X79 build (i7 3820 + Rampage IV Extreme), I'd go with a Z77 (i7 3770k + Maximus V Formula) build which is cheaper and would allow you to use the extra money on getting a 256GB SSD. With that your system will be a complete powerhouse. Other than that, all the parts you listed are compatible.

Chino wrote:

Instead of opting for a X79 build (i7 3820 + Rampage IV Extreme), I'd go with a Z77 (i7 3770k + Maximus V Formula) build which is cheaper and would allow you to use the extra money on getting a 256GB SSD. With that your system will be a complete powerhouse. Other than that, all the parts you listed are compatible.

Thanks, I'll see what happens but I really like the look of the rampage IV and x79 also seems to have lots of bonuses over Z77but I'll probably go with your advice and get the maximums V or something similar.

Chino wrote:

Thanks, I'll see what happens but I really like the look of the rampage IV and x79 also seems to have lots of bonuses over Z77but I'll probably go with your advice and get the maximums V or something similar.

Chino
Level 15
There's nothing wrong with your choice really. Personally, I consider the X79 platform a little expensive and it's overkill for gaming and school work. Only video editing would benefit much from it if that was what you meant when you said video capture. If you decide to stay with the X79 platform, please do try to add a SSD into your budget. You won't be disappointed. 😉

Chino wrote:
There's nothing wrong with your choice really. Personally, I consider the X79 platform a little expensive and it's overkill for gaming and school work. Only video editing would benefit much from it if that was what you meant when you said video capture. If you decide to stay with the X79 platform, please do try to add a SSD into your budget. You won't be disappointed. 😉

I agree with you 100% for doing school work, but it's still what I'd use it for. As for gaming It seems like a good chipset that will last a fair while with very little upgrading.
I understand that video editing/capture would be best with an SSD so I've decided that I'll add one one soon after I've finished the build.

Im with Chino on this as well OP.
Ever since I saw HiViz say, Max V/formula and Ivy .. I believe.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Im with Chino on this as well OP.
Ever since I saw HiViz say, Max V/formula and Ivy .. I believe.c.

yeah I've decided to go with the maximus V and the 3770k, still looks pretty sweet, and witht he cheaper parts I can also add an SSD as a boot drive with extra space for a few programs.