cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX260M upgrade?

Jackmystery
Level 7
I have a G51VX-X1A with the GTX260M and was looking to upgrade the graphics card. So far it looks like I should be able to go to a GTX460M but haven't been able to confirm it. Anyone done this or is it capable? Any replies are appreciated.
G51VX-X1A, X9100, 180 GB SSD, 8GB RAM
14 REPLIES 14

Pitcher1
Level 9
myabe you can search form here or youtube to find it.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Is the card in your G51JX a true MXM card? If so, then the answer may be yes in terms of electrical compatibility and physical size constraints. If the card is an ASUS custom card, I would say the answer is no.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

G51vx-rx05 owner since 2009. the video card in the G51 series uses a reverse pinout. it's a MXM connection, but flipped. there are supposedly no cards out there really compatible with it. the cards out there will physically mount, but the GPU will end up on the wrong side, meaning no heat pipe connection.

if i'm not mistaken the GTX280m made for some of the other models around this time MAY fit and line up with everything.

the other problem is that the GTX260m was pretty top of the line for that socket and chassis. there isn't a whole lot to upgrade to.

the things to upgrade on these notebooks are the CPU (found some E8325's over at StarMicro for $43), the RAM (up to 8GB), and the hard drive (SSD as a boot drive, your choice for a secondary storage).

these days some stuff for a upgrade can be had fairly cheap. but for the most part you're stuck with the GPU. at this late in the game, the G46 becomes an attractive option.

danwat1234
Level 9
I have heard of no one going beyond the GTX 260m in a G50VT / G51vx/ G51j chassis. It is a reverse MXM slot as the guy above said. Even if a newer card fits, you'd probably need a custom heat pipe heat sink to cool the GPU and the RAM chips. Since I know that upgrading from the 9800m GS to the GTX 260m requires another heatsink in the G50VT. So in other words I'd say it nearly impossible. Wait for the G75 to be cheap used on Ebay 😉

Also, even with the upgraded Forcecon DFS541305MH0T “F8U5” fan, which is 17-fins and came standard on the G51vx and G51j laptops but the G50V and G50VT came with the 13-finned Delta KDB05105HB “7F36” fan.
So even with the Forcecon fan and 9800m GS and X9100 CPU, the thermals are at their limit when everything is crunching. A 260m is worse and something newer may or may not be more power efficient.

remember that the A1 version of the G51vx used a quad core CPU, which has a higher TDP than the dual core versions.

there is some headroom for heat.

the big upgrades to make to that laptop would be SSD, more RAM, a faster CPU (intel e8335 would be my pick).

cynepcupon
Level 7
orange leader, are you SURE the E8335 2.93ghz is superior to the T9600 2.8ghz? on starmicro, the T9600 is more expensive. i can't even find anything for the E8335, it was made for Apple products, are you sure its not one of those ones thats soldered directly to the motherboard, like Apple likes to do, to make their products non-upgradeable?

if it was soldered on they wouldnt have it for sale. intel made them for imacs at one point. that's why they have a e designation. they were just a t9800 though. several version exist, the e8135, e8235, e8335, and e8435. they're a socket p processor. several people have swapped them into G-series laptops. the e8435's tend to run a little hot but the e8335 is a 35TDP.

if you'll send me the money for one, i'll buy it, install it in my G51, and post any kind of benchmarks you'd like.

cynepcupon
Level 7
yes, you're correct. i was wondering tho... so, its installed, massive performance increase over P8700. but both CPU and GPU hit 90c at one point, then went back down to a little over 80c. so i set max_fps to 90, which lowered the temp 10c lower. what temperature is borderline dangerous for a CPU and/or GPU? on my old thinkpad, the gpu would stay at 99c for long periods of time, until i eventually put the arctic silver x2 on there, that thinkpad would get so hot the keyboard hurt my fingers sometimes.... but it never died, until sometime later of an unrelated issue (G84 nvidia chipset failure, no video output, only external display). but i don't remember what the thinkpad (T9500, 2.6ghz) CPU would run at. is 90c too much? this spring/summer heat outside isn't helping.

danwat1234
Level 9
CPUs are pretty tough these days. I'd worry more about the motherboard & video card temperature more than the CPU. My CPU is often a bit over 90 Celsius nearly 24/7 crunching seti@Home and it works fine. Been doing that for a year or more