cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help bios option launch efi shell from filesystem device not wroking

Trektohi
Level 7
so I'm trying to run the EFI Shell, but all I get is a black screen then back to bios. I made a usb with GPT and fat32 file system then I downloaded the edk2 shell.efi and renamed it to shellx64.efi on the root of my usb.

I'm using a rampage iv gene bios 3404

12 REPLIES 12

Nodens
Level 16
Not sure if loading EFI shell from a USB drive is supported. I run the EFI shll from the system drive's ESP.

You need to mount the ESP and place shellx64.efi at the root of the partition. Then you'll be able to boot it.

To mount the ESP do this:
diskpart
sel disk 0
list par
find the ESP partition number (in default win partitioning scheme it should be partition 2)
sel par 2
assign letter N

At that point it should be mounted as N. By default Win8 won't let you open the partition for viewing under Windows Explorer. So copy shellx64.efi to the root of N via the admin command prompt. 🙂
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Trektohi
Level 7
Thank you for your reply i was not able to get the EFI Shell to start with your method, but i was able to get it to work form the rear USB ports below the universal PS/2 port

Nodens
Level 16
Ah were you trying the USB3 ports? Perhaps that's why. Funny it wouldn't run for you with my method because it's working great on this end:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Rick2001
Level 7
Can you please tell exactly what you did with the USB stick, in which port you put it and which files you put on exactly ?

I also can't get it to work, neither with the method that Nodens gave unfortunately. I need to flash the firmware on my LSI controller with the EFI shell. Have tried so many things but it just doesn't want to work.

Your help would be very appreciated... thanks!

Nodens
Level 16
Can you verify that you have the shellx64.efi file at the ROOT of the ESP partition and you can't boot it?

RealBench Developer.

Rick2001
Level 7
I put the shellx64.efi file on the 2nd partition yes and with the option in the BIOS launch efi shell from filesystem device is still not working.
The file is at the root of the ESP partition as shown in the picture.

What else can I try ?

Nodens
Level 16
Try renaming it to exactly "Shellx64.efi". I think it's case specific. Also which version of the shell are you using?

RealBench Developer.

Rick2001
Level 7
Well, found the solution finally...

I had secure boot at Windows UEFI mode instead of Other OS.... now it works fine.

Thanks anyway for your help!

Nodens
Level 16
Ah..that explains it!

RealBench Developer.