cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX - Windows 8 installation

diamond
Level 7
Hello guys,

I have the possibility of getting a genuine Windows 8 copy to install in my G74SX but I have my doubts if it will work perfectly as Windows 7 Home Premium works right now in my machine.
So I have some questions...
- Once I installed the Windows 8 version can I still use the factory recovery partition?
- Are there any recognized bugs/malfunctions of using Windows 8 with G74SX?
- Are the drivers for Windows 7 - 64 bit from ASUS website supported in Windows 8?

Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

getmealive
Level 7
Windows 8 Works well with ASUS G74sx. go ahead and install your genuine copy of windows 8 in your G74sx. but if you want to go back to windows 7, just don't delete the recovery partition during installation. I have ASUS G74sx and installed windows 8 pro in it too.

there are no bugs or malfunctions of using windows 8 with G74sx. currently Asus does not support windows 8 with G74Sx. Asus does not provide windows 8 drivers for G74Sx. however mostly windows 7 64bit driver works well in windows 8. and some Asus applications written for windows 7 are working in windows 8 too.

Broadcom/Atheros Bluetooth driver for windows 7 is not working in windows 8. to get it to work I had to download the latest Bluetooth driver for win8 from Asus support site.

Hm, interesting. But how about the keyboard lights and the profile switcher button ? Do they work as well ? I'm more concerned about the keyboard functions... the rest I can figure out...

Pitcher1
Level 9
ASUS have not provide win 8 driver, you will find driver by youself, asus not promise it is able to use, if you want to back win 7 system, don't delete recover partition, maybe you can search from here, most of people have install win 8 system and share in here.

Montavious
Level 7
Well I know none of my ASUS utililes are working now. And under my system info my PC isnt showing up as an ASUS computer anymore. I tried downloading Power4Gear again, but when my PC starts up its saying my computer needs to be an ASUS computer to work, which it is. SOme of the original keyboard functions still work, but a LOT of them dont work anymore. Ive never been a big hotkey user so it doesnt bother me that much. I just installed windows 8 yesterday so ask if you have any questions. But I can say there is nothing that is really bothering me about upgrading, so far.

pineappleXpress
Level 7
I installed windows 8 Pro with no problems. Everything works. I reinstalled some drivers from ASUS website.

digitard
Level 7
Has anyone, yet, been able to ghetto rig the ASUS tools to work?

I, primary, don't wish to give out my fn keys and things like that. I'd like to swap over to 8, though, as it's grown on me using it on my desktop (wife wanted Metro... I wanted a reason to wipe out the PC and run a fresh install).

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
digitard wrote:
Has anyone, yet, been able to ghetto rig the ASUS tools to work?

I, primary, don't wish to give out my fn keys and things like that. I'd like to swap over to 8, though, as it's grown on me using it on my desktop (wife wanted Metro... I wanted a reason to wipe out the PC and run a fresh install).

Haven't tried Win8 on the G74Sx, so hopefully someone else will chime in, but from what I remember running Win8 Release Preview before on some of our other notebooks, many Fn keys will still work with only Win8 installed and no other drivers, but you just don't see the onscreen indicator like the brightness level, volume level, etc.
Some functions like Power4 Gear or disabling the touchpad need additional software installed to work with the Fn keys though.

Anyway, if you do end up getting this far and can take the risk, just wanted to say you might try to grab the Win8 ATK driver from one of the newer models like the G75VW to see if it helps with the onscreen display etc. although I should tell you to be prepared in case it doesn't work out.

If you already have a copy of Win8 and a spare hard drive available, there probably isn't much reason not to give it a try at least.

Only thing I did was to install the ASUS ATK utilities from the G75VX support page as they are Win 8 compliant. I have had no issues since installation with any of the FN keys or the like. v1.0.0026 of the ATK utilities. I got it from here:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75vx&p=3&s=336

OldNESJunkie wrote:
Only thing I did was to install the ASUS ATK utilities from the G75VX support page as they are Win 8 compliant. I have had no issues since installation with any of the FN keys or the like. v1.0.0026 of the ATK utilities. I got it from here:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75vx&p=3&s=336

Yes, don't worry about fn keys, keyboard backlit and touchpad drivers, there are win8 drivers, i'm using v1.0.0027 and no problem so far, but don't install other asus bloatware, they are useless. One more thing, don't upgrade, do a clean install, I had problem with touchpad when I upgraded from 7 to 8, after clean install it is solved.