cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOP UEFI BIOS Available for ASUS GeForce GTX 680 Series Graphics Cards

X-ROG
Level 15
Hi All,

Here's the first app we're rolling out: currently it's for all ASUS GTX 680 owners. Simply download and run the executable to upgrade your VGA BIOS to GOP UEFI ready that will allow you to use Win 8 Fast Boot with a compatible UEFI motherboard.

Please carefully note the limitations first
* This is a preliminary roll-out to check our automated software. There should be no issues with the update, it's just a scripted NVFlash. Further cards will be supported soon. GTX 680 owners please help to report back if it's all successful.
* All and only ASUS GeForce GTX 680s are supported with this particular tool (the software checks against pre-loaded ROMs)

This bit is critical:
* You will be UNABLE to flash back to the original legacy-only BIOS. HOWEVER, the new GOP UEFI BIOS is actually a Hybrid BIOS. It includes the legacy one as well as the UEFI one. But...
* We are only able to qualify its use ASUS motherboards: that includes those with UEFI BIOS' and those with older legacy BIOS' (we've checked on boards up to ~4 years ago). Other motherboards might work with our UEFI graphics cards but we cannot officially endorse compatibility as we don't have access to all BIOS and board revisions. I'm willing to keep a list on here if users really want to test non-ASUS boards.
* (If you intend to sell-on your card to fund a future upgrade, since you can't flash back, remember this decision affects the next person you sell to)

FAQ:

Do you need this GOP UEFI update?
If you want to use Win 8 Fast Boot, then yet, otherwise no. Do not upgrade if you don't need to. (If it works, don't fix it ;))

What factors do you need to get Win 8 Fast Boot running?
Only these motherboards listed below support Win 8 Fast Boot, due to a major, ground-up re-write to make the UEFI spec compatible with the Win function (this doesn't just affect ASUS motherboards FYI).

- All Intel 7 Series
- Upcoming Intel 8 Series
- Intel X79 Series updated to Win8 BIOS (3xxx)
- Intel H61 Series R2.0 or later
- All AMD R2.0 Series or later

Despite others being 'UEFI' boards (P67, Z68 etc) they are not compatible with Win 8 Fast Boot even after you update to GOP UEFI on your graphics card.

So, it's a Hybrid BIOS? Does that mean if I plan to upgrade my motherboard and OS to Win 8 later I can still update my GPU BIOS now?
As long as you own an ASUS board, sure. Upgrading the GPU now in preparation will still allow it to fall-back to legacy mode on your ASUS motherboard for the time being. You should see no change in the way it functions or performs. We still encourage the 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' though. 😉

If you have read all the disclaimers and everything's still good-to-go, download it here: ASUS Webstorage

EDIT:

To check if the BIOS update has been completed successfully, please use GPU Tweak to check if it's one of these BIOS versions:

V80.04.09.00.AS11
V80.04.09.00.AS10
V80.04.09.00.AS09
V80.04.09.00.AS08
V80.04.09.00.AS07
V80.04.47.00.AS08
V80.04.47.00.AS10
V80.04.47.00.AS11
V80.04.47.00.AS09
V80.04.5B.00.AS12
46 REPLIES 46

X-ROG
Level 15
If you do have NVFlash (you don't need it) you can check the update has been applied by running nvflash --version from a command prompt. The bottom 3 show UEFI confirmation (as attached picture).

We're not providing the BIOS files separately due to the complexity of checking and cross-matching which one of the 12 GTX 680 versions we make sorry. The automated tool is the only thing we're issuing for advanced users.

eddiepropane
Level 7
Hi,

1st of thanks again for listening to your customer, being awesome and offering what we need 🙂

Just though I'd post letting everyone know I have safely flashed my GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 BIOS in combination with a MSI Z77A-GD65 and there have been 0 issues.

I am on the latest mobo BIOS 10.9 released recently which has a new boot option, Legacy + UEFI and UEFI only which I had set to UEFI.

I was already on UEFI only as recently updated to 10.9 whilst doing a UEFI Win 8 install in preparation for this GPU BIOS but the earlier BIOS think 10.7 on have the Win 8 fast boot features available but maybe not the option to choose Leagacy+UEFI and UEFI only so I would hazard a guess to them being in Leagcy+UEFI which should allow for any fallback options in the BIOS.

Anyway is your a Z77A-GD65 owner you can grab 10.9 BIOS from there BETA section or Station-Drivers easily so would update that 1st and then your GTX680.

Thanks, Bob.

Hey.
I try to run GTX680BIOSUPDATE but it seems like it does not work for me.
I run with.
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE Bios 3408
ASUS GTX680-2GD5.
Had the graphics bios update 80.4.9.0.f before and after GTX680BIOSUPDATE still 80.4.9.0.f.
I check with nvflash after GTX680BIOSUPDATE and see there's nothing I
UEFI as you look at your picture.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
Memory: Corsair Dominator CMP16GX3M4X1866C9
Graphics Card: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX680
SSD Drive: 2x Corsair SSD Force Series GT 90GB Raid 0
Power Supply: Corsair AX 1200W PSU
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Cooling: Water cooling GPU/CPU/SYD
Monitor: Samsung 27 LED SyncMaster S27A950
Speaker: Logitech Z-906 5.1 THX, DTS
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

asard wrote:
Hey.
I try to run GTX680BIOSUPDATE but it seems like it does not work for me.
I run with.
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE Bios 3408
ASUS GTX680-2GD5.
Had the graphics bios update 80.4.9.0.f before and after GTX680BIOSUPDATE still 80.4.9.0.f.
I check with nvflash after GTX680BIOSUPDATE and see there's nothing I
UEFI as you look at your picture.

Hi asard,

Please try again with this Nvflash.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/ACD5D82AF20B49CC8F5C35472FE07758Y

Best regards,
TL

Thanks TL @ Asus
I check for a newer nvflash but did not find it.
So thanks for the link.
But have to ask if you need to set something in the bios after GTX680BIOSUPDATE?
I do not expect to get faster fastboot.
But i am curious about it.
In the picture, I put PCIe Expansion Devices on UEFI run first now that was before Legacy.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
Memory: Corsair Dominator CMP16GX3M4X1866C9
Graphics Card: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX680
SSD Drive: 2x Corsair SSD Force Series GT 90GB Raid 0
Power Supply: Corsair AX 1200W PSU
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Cooling: Water cooling GPU/CPU/SYD
Monitor: Samsung 27 LED SyncMaster S27A950
Speaker: Logitech Z-906 5.1 THX, DTS
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

asard wrote:
Thanks TL @ Asus
I check for a newer nvflash but did not find it.
So thanks for the link.
But have to ask if you need to set something in the bios after GTX680BIOSUPDATE?
I do not expect to get faster fastboot.
But i am curious about it.
In the picture, I put PCIe Expansion Devices on UEFI run first now that was before Legacy.

You have to install your windows in UEFI mode and disable CSM.
Windows installed under legacy mode won't be detected after CSM disable.

I cannot flash the bios of my 2 GTX680.
When I run GTX680BIOSUPDATE.exe as administrator the command promt is popped up for 1 second.
In this short time I can see that the tool can find my 2 GTX680, but then the command promt is closing immediately and after that nothing was happend.
In the next try I disabled SLI in nVidia driver, but the same problem!

My specs:
Core i7 - 3930K
Asus P9X79 Deluxe (BIOS 3501)
2x ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5
Windows8 Pro x64

ASUS - GTX680-DC2-4GD5

Flashed. No issues at all.

Eliott
Level 9
Thank you for this info. Sorry for the offtopic question but do you plan to release such UEFI BIOSES for 670 séries ?

My bad, I think I've my answer there :

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29659-UEFI-GOP-Fast-Boot-update&country=&status=
😉