cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX Titan Quad-SLI & Rampage IV Extreme Break New 3DMark 11 Records

Mankz
Level 10
All three 3DMark 11 present records have been smashed by Andre Yang wielding four Titan’s and a Rampage IV Extreme!
The four GeForce GTX Titan’s were ran between 1.4-1.45GHz with memory running at 7.1GHz (effective), while the Core i7-3970X ran at just over 5.7GHz. Naturally everything was super-chilled using LN2.

http://rog.asus.com/220222013/overclocking/gtx-titan-quad-sli-rampage-iv-extreme-break-new-3dmark-11...
41 REPLIES 41

tabuburn
Level 7
Replace the 6-pin PCI-e power to another 8-pin and I could almost guarantee the Titan scores will jump much higher. They are capable of so much more but is bottlenecked by the amount of power being delivered. The Titan's performance is based on thermals not power so theoretically, you can get as much performance per additional power as long as thermals are kept low enough.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, I saw that! That's a good effort and a testament to how good the card is but also the MB....got to love the RIVE!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Read this on HWBot earlier today

It's quite clear now: the reference PCB of the Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan is just not strong enough to push the Titan core to the maximum of its capabilities. It's a shame and some would even say a disgrace that Nvidia dares to release such a powerful GPU soldered on something so weak. In addition, disallowing any manufacturer to build their own custom version of the card makes it damn near impossible to get the most out of this USD $1000 graphics card. Yes, that's right: no Lightning, no Matrix, no Classified.

We've already seen the engineering wonders of the K|ngp|n/TiN team as well as AndreYang/Shamino. Today, our attention goes to the team from Brazil, formed by Rbuass and Schenckel Bros. With their own version of the GTX Titan zombie, they managed to take home the single GPU 3DMark Vantage record, outscoring K|ngp|n by 360 points. For that, the team from Brazil uses a Core i7 3960X clocked at 5.6GHz and a GTX Titan at 1750/1820 MHz. Nice work!

Soo, this is how they did it...something called "Zombified" they ripped out the apparently crap PWM's from the Titans and used others to get these scores.

Always knew these cards weren't worth my money 😛

Mankz
Level 10
Yeah, they are using the power circuits from a 7970 Matrix or the like, soldered into the Titans. Bonkers.

That would explain why they are using a 6-pin PCI-E connector

Zka17
Level 16
Congrats to Andre Yang! :cool:

I'm always looking with great enthusiasm to new records, specially where Asus hardware is involved.... - because I'm chasing those records too... 🙂

However, these record brakes would be more useful for us, Asus customers, who are doing benching on Asus products too, if we would have more details... using LN2 as cooling is clear a far superior way to achieve records, but I'm absolutely sure that there are other tweaks too... certainly, the OS and driver tweaks are applied, but I also have a feeling that some mods at the hardware level were done too... - is there a way to find out those things?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Your best resource Z would be: HiVizMan 😄

Mankz
Level 10

Yep, thats a 7970 Matrix bolted onto the back of a Titan...

Mankz wrote:

Yep, thats a 7970 Matrix bolted onto the back of a Titan...

not only Matrix 7970, there is another PWM card from some random old VGA to feed vmem
Titan shouldn't be that long 😄

TL@ASUS wrote:
not only Matrix 7970, there is another PWM card from some random old VGA to feed vmem
Titan shouldn't be that long 😄

Holes in the PCB around the fan mount makes me think thats part of a GTX480..

So its technically a GTX Titan 4807970 then 🙂