cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX high temperatures near boiling point

NeoSniperkiller
Level 7
Hello,

Currently I'm experiencing an overheating problem when I simply run the most basic game that uses the GPU.
Even attaching my second screen causes the GPU to rise slowly to 100°C and the vent is blowing air like it's about to die.
Gameplay is actually not possible anymore, since the GPU reaches critical temperature for the throttle to take effect in almost 5 to 10 minutes.
The CPU and motherboard is also experiencing some warming up, but not so fast as the GPU.

Little bit of details: (gathered using Speccy)

IDLE
CPU
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz 72 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G53SX (CPU 1) 68 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB GeForce GTX 560M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 69 °C
Hard Drives
699GB Seagate ST9750420AS (SATA) 39 °C
699GB Seagate ST9750420AS (SATA) 34 °C

RUNNING CHROME WITH c&c tiberium alliances on second screen (after 5 minutes of playing this webgame!!!)
CPU
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz 94 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G53SX (CPU 1) 92 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB GeForce GTX 560M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 97 °C

I can already guess the advice you people will give me, but I was wondering how I could clean my G53SX in such a way that the warranty does not void?

With regards

NeoSniperkiller
9 REPLIES 9

Pitcher1
Level 9
i suggest you send back to asus service center, and tell them you have overheat problem, because you are in warranty.

NeoSniperkiller
Level 7
Hello, thank you for your reply!

The problem is that I cannot miss my laptop since I'm currently finishing my studies as a Civil Engineer.
My warranty is indeed still active, so simply sending it to an ASUS Service Center will make them clean my laptop?
Do you think that this is not a dust problem, but more a malfunctioning of the heat sink?

grungeboy2
Level 10
i would suggest you buy a can of compressed air and blow the system out. this may mean you need to remove the bottom cover, etc.

is this laptop used around smoke? how long has it been since it's last cleaning?

i find that a cleaning schedule of about every six months keeps my G51vx humming happily.

ang1dust
Level 7
Asus has had a problem with pasting the video cards. If you want to do it yourself there are quite a few you tube tear downs of ROG notebook units you can follow to repaste it. Otherwise, i would take their suggestion. Borrow a laptop....send this off to have warranty work....90% of all the overheating is repasting and it will fix it. Vbios update would be my next suggestion.

grungeboy2
Level 10
repasting with something good is a miracle worker on the G-series.

pineappleXpress
Level 7
I just repasted mine. Took about 1 hour for the teardown and reassembly. Youtube videos were a big help. The only "void your warranty" sticker I found was attached to the heatsink on the CPU and the graphics card heatsink didn't have one but if you're gonna tear it apart to repaste do them both. When I took mine apart my exhaust vents were completely covered on the inside with a sheet of dust so not much heat was making it out. After repasting with good compound my G73 runs like a champ!

NeoSniperkiller
Level 7
Sorry for my late answer!

The only problem I can think of is that I bought this laptop on the website http://www.laptopshop.be.
So not really from Asus themselves. Will this be a problem?

@Grungeboy
The last time this laptop was cleaned was actually never. I used it since I bought it, that was last year around October.
The location where it stands the most is actually in a non-smoking area (my student room).
I do carry around the laptop a lot in my backpack (offcourse it is not on while I carry it around).

@angldust
Do you know how long it could be gone if I send it to Asus?

grungeboy2
Level 10
if i was you, i'd blow that thing out, ASAP.

asus is probably only going to cover it if it is still under warranty and a part has actually failed. if i was them, opened up the laptop, and saw a cat's worth of dust and dirt in it, i wouldn't honor a warranty since it wasn't cared for or cleaned.

it'd be similar to if you bought a new Chevy Camaro, dogged it out, never checked the oil, and blew the motor due to a lack of oil.

any laptop or computer you have should be cleaned regularly. the fans can't do their work if they're clogged with gunk. heat kills, and not smoking doesn't really change that. smoking simply changes how often you do it.

NeoSniperkiller
Level 7
Thank you for your response!

The only thing keeping me back is actually doing something wrong while opening this metal can and voiding the warranty.

With the last laptop I opened (old IBM thinkpad), I had so much trouble getting all the stuff back in its original places 🙂
It was so cramped inside and the cables were a hell for me (even if it were only 5-10 cables...).