cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPT Temp 1/2/3 monitoring ?

MultiDoc
Level 7
Hello,

Since I have finalized my new build and everything is working fine, my OCD kicked in 😛 and I'm thinking about those 3 OPT Temp sensors/headers the motherboard has.
So what kind of cables/sensors can be mounted there so I can get readings (of course after enabling them in BIOS, currently I have them disabled)

Any help and suggestions (also a link to a retailer would be great) will be appreciated.

Nikos
Asus Crosshair VIII Impact, 5950X, Crucial Ballistic 2x32GB @ 3600MHz, 2 x Corsair MP600 2TB, 2 x Samsung 870 Evo 4TB, Asus 3090 TUF OC, Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ, Panasonic UJ265 ODD, Ncase M1 v6.1, Corsair SF750, Logitech G703, Wooting One, Soundblaster Katana X, Audeze LCD-GX, Logitech C920 HD Pro, Win 10 Pro x64
11 REPLIES 11

MultiDoc
Level 7
I found these sensors:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001IQ0L2M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

So if i get 3 of those and connect them on the mobo 2pin temp headers, all i have to do is enable the optional temp monitoring in BIOS and I'm good to go ? ALso does anyone know of a panel that can support sucj sensors so i can have the temps up front in real time ?
Asus Crosshair VIII Impact, 5950X, Crucial Ballistic 2x32GB @ 3600MHz, 2 x Corsair MP600 2TB, 2 x Samsung 870 Evo 4TB, Asus 3090 TUF OC, Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ, Panasonic UJ265 ODD, Ncase M1 v6.1, Corsair SF750, Logitech G703, Wooting One, Soundblaster Katana X, Audeze LCD-GX, Logitech C920 HD Pro, Win 10 Pro x64

MultiDoc wrote:
I found these sensors:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001IQ0L2M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

So if i get 3 of those and connect them on the mobo 2pin temp headers, all i have to do is enable the optional temp monitoring in BIOS and I'm good to go ? ALso does anyone know of a panel that can support sucj sensors so i can have the temps up front in real time ?

Hi, MultiDoc.....and search no more.
Buy this:
http://www.eworld.com.gr/eworld/products/details/1234/Scythe-Kaze-Master-Pro-5.25

Works fine, controls 6 Fans, (on display in real time only 2 of your choice) and guess what... it includes 6 temp sensors that works perfectly with ASUS mainboards. So you can stick them to RAM, VRMs, MOSFETs etc.

Chino wrote:
Those should work since they look exactly the same as the Thermal Sensor Cable that Asus sells.

Thanks, didn't even know there was an Asus online store :rolleyes:

nikosa43 wrote:
Hi, MultiDoc.....and search no more.
Buy this:
http://www.eworld.com.gr/eworld/products/details/1234/Scythe-Kaze-Master-Pro-5.25

Works fine, controls 6 Fans, (on display in real time only 2 of your choice) and guess what... it includes 6 temp sensors that works perfectly with ASUS mainboards. So you can stick them to RAM, VRMs, MOSFETs etc.

That's looks nice, but that would require a lot of rethinking and rerouting of cables and also some sleeving (i hate non-sleeved cables) :p. I might get that after all, do you by any chance have any personal experience with it ?

The whole reasoning for me about bringing those temp sensors to life is that since Asus provides them to us, I could take advantage of them and put them in use. If I'm gonna use them I'll be putting one on the VRM's, Mosfets and one will go to the HDD cage.

MultiDoc wrote:
Thanks, didn't even know there was an Asus online store :rolleyes:

That's looks nice, but that would require a lot of rethinking and rerouting of cables and also some sleeving (i hate non-sleeved cables) :p. I might get that after all, do you by any chance have any personal experience with it ?

The whole reasoning for me about bringing those temp sensors to life is that since Asus provides them to us, I could take advantage of them and put them in use. If I'm gonna use them I'll be putting one on the VRM's, Mosfets and one will go to the HDD cage.

I have one on my own. Very good and with a cool blue light. You are right about cable routing.:p

nikosa43 wrote:
I have one on my own. Very good and with a cool blue light. You are right about cable routing.:p

Ok, now get a camera and upload (or mail me) some pics of your temp sensors setup and the whole cable mess the Scythe did 🙂

Looking forward to them 😛 (in the meantime I'll be getting it for myself too tomorrow)

nikosa43
Level 12
As soon as I find some time I am going to send some pics but only of the device outside of the case. I had this installed on my old system to control the fans and check temps. On my last build with the Max V F, I wanted to control everything from Fan expert 2. So the only thing I can show you for the moment is the sensors installed. Now that I have uninstalled Ai, I was trying to use BIOS fan control but I am not satisfied 100%. So I am thinking to reinstall the Fan header. Too unhappy with Ai and Fan expert. The concept is brilliant and I liked the idea and the SW but causes problems and when it's on 100% load it stucks, so I doubt if can control anything at this time. Anyway for the moment I have 3 sensors monitoring RAM Memory module, VRMs of my GTX 570 and GPU Heatsink. Either way I am disappointed. The idea of an application to monitor and control everything was the best. By the way is out there any alternative SW solution that actually works?

nikosa43 wrote:
As soon as I find some time I am going to send some pics but only of the device outside of the case. I had this installed on my old system to control the fans and check temps. On my last build with the Max V F, I wanted to control everything from Fan expert 2. So the only thing I can show you for the moment is the sensors installed. Now that I have uninstalled Ai, I was trying to use BIOS fan control but I am not satisfied 100%. So I am thinking to reinstall the Fan header. Too unhappy with Ai and Fan expert. The concept is brilliant and I liked the idea and the SW but causes problems and when it's on 100% load it stucks, so I doubt if can control anything at this time. Anyway for the moment I have 3 sensors monitoring RAM Memory module, VRMs of my GTX 570 and GPU Heatsink. Either way I am disappointed. The idea of an application to monitor and control everything was the best. By the way is out there any alternative SW solution that actually works?

Quite the same thoughts i had, the Fan Expert utility looks great and has excellent potential; I only wish it was bug free and didn't interfere with BIOS 😞 Otherwise I would still be using it, but for the time being I uninstalled it as you already know.

Regarding the controller, I bought it today. Thanks again for pointing me to it :). The only thing i don't like about it are the gross un-sleeved cables it has :mad:. And since finding sleeving parts or kits localy is impossible, my only option was to use the only alternative I could think of to hide those color cables... and that was using heat-shrink for the whole cable length :p.
Worked ok I think (will post fotos later maybe) and also the controller had 2 extra temp sensors, so now I have a nightmare choosing where to install them 😛 I guess I have to be carefull what i wish and ask in the future.
For the time being I have only installed 4 sensors (between GPU cooler's fins, between the thermal fusion's fins at the top, on one RAM dimm and one on the GPU's mosfets).

I guess when I'm finished sleeving and installing everything I'll be using the Scythe just for temp monitoring and I'll probably go back to using SpeedFan (I was using it with great success on my previous rig, an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe).

Glad you liked the Fan header and sorry for the extra effort to put everything in order, but I bet you enjoyed a lot :). You mentioned Speedfan. I am curious. Is it functioning like Fan Expert? Can I use it to control all the fans and set profiles? Can it control the fans automatically based on schemes?