cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Should a Rampage IV Formula Come Packaged?

sludog1
Level 7
I received my parts for my new x79 rig, but when I took the motherboard out of the shipping box, I noticed that the top of it was not sealed with any sort sticker and it wasn't shrink wrapped or anything. I called the company and they said this was normal for that product?? It can't be the normal way these motherboards ship is it? when you guys received your Rampage IV boards were they sealed at the top? I went over the board with a magnifying glass and can not find any marks on it, it looks brand new. SHould I call back n push for a RMA? Thanks!
SLU
ASUS Rampage IV Formula -=- Intel 3930K @ 4.2Ghz -=- Noctua NH-D14 -=- Corsair Dominator GT 16GB 2133 -=- EVGA GTX580 x2 -=- ASUS Xonar Essence STX -=- Corsair Force3 SSD 120GB + 1TB HDD -=- ASUS Black BD-RW -=- Corsair AX1200 -=- NZXT Phantom 820
9 REPLIES 9

MultiDoc
Level 7
sludog1 wrote:
SHould I call back n push for a RMA? Thanks!
SLU

Don't think so, mine was like that too and If I'm not mistaken there's no shrink wrap on any ASUS boards (can't recall ever seing on in wrap for as far as I remember).
Asus Crosshair VIII Impact, 5950X, Crucial Ballistic 2x32GB @ 3600MHz, 2 x Corsair MP600 2TB, 2 x Samsung 870 Evo 4TB, Asus 3090 TUF OC, Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ, Panasonic UJ265 ODD, Ncase M1 v6.1, Corsair SF750, Logitech G703, Wooting One, Soundblaster Katana X, Audeze LCD-GX, Logitech C920 HD Pro, Win 10 Pro x64

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
This is something I did and do not like. Yes, my RIVE came that way too... open box.... open bag. It is tantamount to colluding with unscrupulous retailers who can sell-on returned merchandise. I wish they would change this. My X58 board came in a sealed bag!

Just give the board a thorough inspection.....check solder around mounting holes is smooth and domed to check it has not been mounted in a case before....check socket for bent pins under good light and look for finger prints on back of board....that's all you can do...

sludog1
Level 7
Thanks for the quick answers MultiDoc & Arne! I really appreciate it. and thanks for that extra tip on checking the solder around the mount holes to make sure its still domed. The pins look perfect and there isn't any finger prints or fine scratches anywhere that I can see. Everything in the box was still sealed (Q connect, cables, etc). I had ordered the P6TDeluxeV2 a few years back and I received it the same as yours, sealed and in a static bag. They both came from the same e-tailer and I've never had any problem with what I've ordered from them before (but I have read some real good horror stories from others trying to deal with RMAs and receiving old products). I opened the box with the PSU first and geez, that Corsair AX1200 had the box plastic wrapped, inside the psu sat on big chunks of hard foam, I opened that up and found it in some type of cheap velvet bag with a draw string and when I took it out of that, it was wrapped in more plastic! lol THAT impressed me and I felt like I bought a quality product. then I opened the box with the MB and found it to have not even a piece of tape on the top. As long as there's no marks then I guess I should just try it, but it doesn't really sit well with me.
ASUS Rampage IV Formula -=- Intel 3930K @ 4.2Ghz -=- Noctua NH-D14 -=- Corsair Dominator GT 16GB 2133 -=- EVGA GTX580 x2 -=- ASUS Xonar Essence STX -=- Corsair Force3 SSD 120GB + 1TB HDD -=- ASUS Black BD-RW -=- Corsair AX1200 -=- NZXT Phantom 820

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, if you got it from a good place then all should be fine...but I know what you mean...I went into a cold sweat when I saw the open bag on a premium product! I mean it had to be a second hand board right? Well, half an hour with the magnifying glass out and multiple breath tests showed it was new! But geez ASUS!:confused: That's not the adrenalin rush you want first associated with your boards!

sludog1
Level 7
lol yea u got that right! especially after opening that power supply, i just stood there with my mouth open starring at the MB box thinkin WTF is this lol. I just check those mount holes and they still look ok. guess I'll find out tomorrow when the case and memory arrive.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you screw a board down the eight solder points around the hole get flattened off and dulled immediately...plus handling the board in will show finger prints...it's pretty hard for someone to use a board and return it unmarked without getting all CSI Miami about it.... so I shouldn't worry.

Thanks for bringing back that memory....NOT.....:D LOL

mpoffo
Level 10
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering the same about my RIVE board. It came the same way and made me wonder. Upon inspection it appears to be fine.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

sludog1
Level 7
My case n ram got delivered on Thursday and I threw it all together and I'm very happy (relieved) to say that it is working perfectly. First boot all memory was recognized, cpu speeds & temps are good, bios was back on 1005 which appears to be untouched from factory, and I've stress tested the thing to be ok. so far so good. Now I just have to deal with the heat of the SLI 580s for whatever Nvidia releases in the next weeks/months. Thanks again guys for the replies and calming my nerves before the build! lol ROG 4 LIFE

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40