cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 - How do i force Nvida 660m chip use in games?

City_Builder
Level 7
Hi

I have the asus g46 laptop. It has an Intel 4000 GPU as well as an Nvidia 660M GPU.

I just loaded up the new Simcity and am finding that it's using the Intel 4000 GPU instead of the Nvidia 660m GPU.

I know this because the game displays a grid line on the terrain when using the Intel GPU chips as I had bought an Asus s200 laptop the other day that only has the Intel 4000 GPU in it and it displays this grid, but my Asus G74 with an Nvidia 560m does not poduce this grid pattern. Earlier this evening when I first tried out Simcity my G46 was using the Nvidia GPU to play and it was smooth as could be. Now that it's using the Intel GPU the graphics are laggy as all hell.

How do I force my laptop to use the Nvidia GPU that it has in it either only in games or all the time?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Vicodin
Level 10
That is a good question. I had a Toshiba laptop with Optimus technology and I had the same issue. What worked for me on that was going into device manager and disabling the integrated video. Screen flickered a bit, then used the GT540m at all times. I do not know of this would work on your G46, and probably not the smartest way to go about it. ( I don't want your screen to go black, and not come back) LOL. So wait for some more posts before you go doing that!

Dreamonic
Level 12
City Builder wrote:
Hi

I have the asus g46 laptop. It has an Intel 4000 GPU as well as an Nvidia 660M GPU.

I just loaded up the new Simcity and am finding that it's using the Intel 4000 GPU instead of the Nvidia 660m GPU.

I know this because the game displays a grid line on the terrain when using the Intel GPU chips as I had bought an Asus s200 laptop the other day that only has the Intel 4000 GPU in it and it displays this grid, but my Asus G74 with an Nvidia 560m does not poduce this grid pattern. Earlier this evening when I first tried out Simcity my G46 was using the Nvidia GPU to play and it was smooth as could be. Now that it's using the Intel GPU the graphics are laggy as all hell.

How do I force my laptop to use the Nvidia GPU that it has in it either only in games or all the time?

Thanks

This would be done in the NVIDIA control panel. You can manually choose or set it to Auto, which is where it is at by default or go to the Program Settings tab to specify which preferred graphics processor to use for each running program instead of enabling one globally.