cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G71GX-RX05, can upgrade to Core2Quad Q9000 CPU?

cynepcupon
Level 7
G71GX-RX05, can upgrade to Core2Quad Q9000 CPU?

hello, i dunno if i can call ASUS to find out or what, but i purchased an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.0ghz quad core CPU, Socket P, and it fit into the CPU socket just fine, but the laptop wouldn't boot. screen stayed black for several seconds, then the fan went on full bore. the specs are

Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53ghz w/ 1066mhz FSB & 3mb L2 cache
6gb DDR2 ram
1440x900 17.1" display
nvidia geforce GTX 260M

please help with the compatibility of CPUs. i put the original P8700 cpu in and its working fine again. i just wish to know if it was the Q9000 cpu that was bad (purchased used) or if this motherboard/chipset doesn't support Core2Quad
as far as i could find out, this G71GX-RX05 uses the Intel Mobile P43 Express chipset, but on intel's website, they only list the DESKTOP chipset's compatibilty, which includes Q9250 and such, but no mobile compatibility specs. and also, Q9000 is seen as a CPU option on support.asus.com when i look up G71GX. does this mean asus used a whole different motherboard/chipset on the Core2Quad Q9000 variant of the G71GX?

please help. i'll be totally happy with this asus laptop if i can upgrade to Core2Quad.

thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

Pitcher1
Level 9
ASUS collocation Q9000 2G/6M SLGEJ 2.0GHz, 1066FSB, 45nm, 6ML2, 45W, Quad core with G71SX, you can purchase this one.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
ASUS collocation Q9000 2G/6M SLGEJ 2.0GHz, 1066FSB, 45nm, 6ML2, 45W, Quad core with G71SX, you can purchase this one.

i don't understand what you mean? are you saying i need to purchase a whole new computer? i was specifically asking if the G71GX model equipped with Intel Mobile P43 Express chipset, and Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53ghz) was upgradeable to Core 2 Quad, Q9000, Q9100, QX9300.

because i can't find any literature on the subject at all. i've searched extensively for several days now. i dunno where else to scour, besides calling Asus directly.

i cannot find any computer called G71SX. are you certain?

i did notice that the P8700 had a TDP of 25 watts, while the Q9000 has a TDP of 45watts.

i believe that this factor alone rules out an upgrade. well, it seems i answered my own question.

problem solved! 🙂

cynepcupon wrote:
problem solved! 🙂

How do you solve this? if you are still remember.... lol

cynepcupon
Level 7
the Q9000 is the CPU i tried to upgrade to but the laptop wouldn't boot, so i put the P8700 back in and it worked fine again. all the thermal pasting is annoying though, and a waste. so i'd like to figure it out first, before buying another CPU and trying again.

are you saying i must buy a new computer? i dunno exactly what you mean, i have G71GX-RX05.

grungeboy2
Level 10
the problem here is that the motherboard doesn't support it. the chipset supports it, and it physically fits in the socket, but a majority of the RX05 laptops will not use it.

sometimes it's a case of trial and error. you tried and erred. the fastest chip you can probably use in that laptop is a 3.06Ghz dual core. the TDP didn't really have much to do with it, as they did make some of those laptops available with a quad core, but those had a specific motherboard that supports it.

cynepcupon
Level 7
thank you orange leader 🙂

c2d T9900 then? will it be too hot? the GPU and CPU use different heat sinks but share the same fan assembly pushing air out thru them. would you recommend T9600 (2.8ghz) or T9900 (3.06ghz)???

and from what i've read since last posting, faster clock rate is better for most games anyways? better than more cores at lower clockrates? i only play HL2 anyways, DODS/CSS/HL2:D..... AND THEY FINALLY PORTED IT TO LINUX!!!!!!!!!! KDE ubuntu 13.04 beta + steam linux client = 200fps!!! that kernel 3.8,,, its a winner!

http://starmicroinc.net/intel-core-mobile-e8335-2933ghz-cache-1066mhz-socket-slaqc-slgeb-mobile-proc...

that's the CPU i plan to throw in my G51. i wouldn't worry about the heat too much. i would still run a monitoring program like CPUID Hardware Monitor, i would also keep the fans clean and use some quality thermal paste when you do swap it out.

i've been running one of the windows friendly ubuntu installs myself. it's quite nice and one of my first experiences with Linux. the nvidia driver rain dance crap is getting old though.