cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula & i5 3570k overclocking

JUMBOFLAPJACK
Level 7
Hello,

Posted this in the Maximus motherboard forums but figured I'd try here just in case:

First time overclocker here looking for some advice from the grizzled veterans.

Last night I overclocked my i5 (with a Noctua NH-D14) to 4.5GHz seemingly stable and I used 1.210v on the processor and Auto LLC.

The max temp any core reached was 67c after 1hour torture test in Prime95. The temperatures of all cores were hovering between 63-65 however as I watched RealTemp.

I tried setting LLC to Medium and High (I believe? 25% and 50%). This resulted in the system being unstable.

So my main question: Is there any reason I shouldn't use Auto LLC given above information? My temps were fine and the system was stable for as long as I tested so I was just trying to see if there's an obvious reason to not use Auto.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well if you're a control freak leaving things on AUTO is going to give you sleepless nights as your board takes the decisions and conspires behind your back

*hears therapists voice*

ahem. anyway, no, nothing wrong with AUTO ...probably just means the voltage you set was too low and AUTO LLC is making up the difference...

But if it works it works! Nothing wrong with your temps which is the important thing.

Quick question, does that mean Auto LLC will make up the difference up to the set 1.210 or will it go up as far as necessary?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well if you're a control freak leaving things on AUTO is going to give you sleepless nights as your board takes the decisions and conspires behind your back *hears therapists voice*ahem. anyway, no, nothing wrong with AUTO ...probably just means the voltage you set was too low and AUTO LLC is making up the difference...But if it works it works! Nothing wrong with your temps which is the important thing.
Arne that was on of the best answers I have read.... The mobo conspiracy theory :D.. It can be a movie. Anyway, I agree with your answer. Nothing wrong with AUTO. It's just the thing, that because none knows what is the real setting behind (it can be anything from Regular to Extreme), I need to know exactly the value because it may can work with a better one that gives lower voltage and lower temps. .....So I always have to try all manually :P. Control freak too.

JUMBOFLAPJACK
Level 7
Thanks for the reply and the information.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I believe the voltage showed a max of 1.208 on openhardwaremonitor and 1.210 on CPUZ. I am not sure though and I will double check when I get home later tonight to verify and post an update.

Quick question, does that mean Auto LLC will make up the difference up to the set 1.210 or will it go up as far as necessary?

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
I am also curious to the answer. I have been building PCs sine the ol P4 days, and have always felt good about having one that is OC ready just in-case, but have only recently ventured beyond presets. My last 2 rigs(Striker Extreme and P5Q Pro Turbo) were built with the intent of OCing, but never got around to it. I have mine set to auto as well with 4.5GHz @ 1.20v. Passed prime95 with a max temp of 56c.
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

nikosa43
Level 12
The funny thing is that if I set AUTO I get a BSOD. If I set manually Medium works like charm, (3770k).

nikosa43 wrote:
The funny thing is that if I set AUTO I get a BSOD. If I set manually Medium works like charm, (3770k).

LOL OCing can be weird at times...just goes to show, your system is your system and you have to find what works for you...

JUMBOFLAPJACK
Level 7
I checked again and the voltage showing in CPU-Z and openhardwaremonitor is 1.208.

I just want to verify using AUTO LLC isn't going to come back to bite me and if I need to tweak it a bit more.