ROG Member Array

Maximus V Formula & i5 3570k overclocking

Hello,

Posted this in the Maximus motherboard forums but figured I'd try here just in case:

First time overclocker here looking for some advice from the grizzled veterans.

Last night I overclocked my i5 (with a Noctua NH-D14) to 4.5GHz seemingly stable and I used 1.210v on the processor and Auto LLC.

The max temp any core reached was 67c after 1hour torture test in Prime95. The temperatures of all cores were hovering between 63-65 however as I watched RealTemp.

I tried setting LLC to Medium and High (I believe? 25% and 50%). This resulted in the system being unstable.

So my main question: Is there any reason I shouldn't use Auto LLC given above information? My temps were fine and the system was stable for as long as I tested so I was just trying to see if there's an obvious reason to not use Auto.

Thanks in advance.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Well if you're a control freak leaving things on AUTO is going to give you sleepless nights as your board takes the decisions and conspires behind your back

*hears therapists voice*

ahem. anyway, no, nothing wrong with AUTO ...probably just means the voltage you set was too low and AUTO LLC is making up the difference...

But if it works it works! Nothing wrong with your temps which is the important thing.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the reply and the information.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I believe the voltage showed a max of 1.208 on openhardwaremonitor and 1.210 on CPUZ. I am not sure though and I will double check when I get home later tonight to verify and post an update.

Quick question, does that mean Auto LLC will make up the difference up to the set 1.210 or will it go up as far as necessary?
    Last edited by JUMBOFLAPJACK; 03-21-2013 at 07:06 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array WeRNothiNg's Avatar

I am also curious to the answer. I have been building PCs sine the ol P4 days, and have always felt good about having one that is OC ready just in-case, but have only recently ventured beyond presets. My last 2 rigs(Striker Extreme and P5Q Pro Turbo) were built with the intent of OCing, but never got around to it. I have mine set to auto as well with 4.5GHz @ 1.20v. Passed prime95 with a max temp of 56c.
    **i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
    ~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array nikosa43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Well if you're a control freak leaving things on AUTO is going to give you sleepless nights as your board takes the decisions and conspires behind your back *hears therapists voice*ahem. anyway, no, nothing wrong with AUTO ...probably just means the voltage you set was too low and AUTO LLC is making up the difference...But if it works it works! Nothing wrong with your temps which is the important thing.
    Arne that was on of the best answers I have read.... The mobo conspiracy theory .. It can be a movie. Anyway, I agree with your answer. Nothing wrong with AUTO. It's just the thing, that because none knows what is the real setting behind (it can be anything from Regular to Extreme), I need to know exactly the value because it may can work with a better one that gives lower voltage and lower temps. .....So I always have to try all manually :P. Control freak too.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array nikosa43's Avatar

The funny thing is that if I set AUTO I get a BSOD. If I set manually Medium works like charm, (3770k).

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by nikosa43 View Post
    The funny thing is that if I set AUTO I get a BSOD. If I set manually Medium works like charm, (3770k).
    LOL OCing can be weird at times...just goes to show, your system is your system and you have to find what works for you...

ROG Member Array

I checked again and the voltage showing in CPU-Z and openhardwaremonitor is 1.208.

I just want to verify using AUTO LLC isn't going to come back to bite me and if I need to tweak it a bit more.