Thread: new g46 owner

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

new g46 owner

hi,

after owning my g74 for a year now and wanting something lighter i bought the g46vw.

questions:

1. No DVD - How do i reinstall windows if i want or need to?

2. How do i make backups of the system like i did with th g74? I mean when i made backups on the g74, i ended up with womething like 3 or 4 dvd restore dvds. what do i do with this g46 in that regard?

thanks

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by City Builder View Post
    hi,

after owning my g74 for a year now and wanting something lighter i bought the g46vw.

questions:

1. No DVD - How do i reinstall windows if i want or need to?

2. How do i make backups of the system like i did with th g74? I mean when i made backups on the g74, i ended up with womething like 3 or 4 dvd restore dvds. what do i do with this g46 in that regard?

thanks
    External DVD drive.

Go to windows search type in "Windows 7 recovery" You will have options to burn a disk image and a recovery dvd for windows 8 from that.

okay anybody have recomendations for external DVD?

Prefer something light and powered purely from USB port (i.e. no extra power bricks to carry around)

Thanks

ROG Guru: White Belt Array JwPwns's Avatar

Usb drive, you can create bootable window drives with usb sticks. I did mine this way, just copy the ISO over to the (formated) usb drive then plug it in make sure you enable launch csm and select the usb as boot option.
    Asus G46 vw
    3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
    16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
    128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
    GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Vicodin's Avatar

I recently purchased an external disc drive for my girlfriends Asus All-in-One touchscreen that I got for her. (I derped hard on this one, and didn't even realize it didn't have a disc drive until I got it! HAHAHA) It is an Asus External CD/DVD writer and would match your G46 nicely!
    Also, it is only $30.00!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135256

It is solely powered by usb.
    Last edited by Vicodin; 03-21-2013 at 04:17 AM.

ROG Member Array

I have 16 and 32 GB usb sticks that work great for installing windows or creating system images. For backups an external or network drive works well.

There is a recovery option in the control panel that will create everything I found out, but requires a 16GB thumbstick, while I've got some 64GB sticks they're in use, and my next largest is only 15GB so it will have to wait until I go to town tomorrow to pick up a 16GB or larger thumb drive to use for this specifically.

The reviews of the DVD listed above left me rather cold on the item, it's inexpensive enough but needs dual usb ports to run it, so I'll pass on that for now and go the thumb drive route.
    Thanks for the posts.

Super Moderator Array

Although I've never tried it myself, the forums have recommended using Macrium Reflect for back-ups, so another option you may want to look into or ask about.
    This thread by rewben about upgrades mentions it as below which should be in quotes, but I wanted to include the link.
    ---------------------
    There are a number of options to create a working copy of recovery media:
    1. using third party cloning and imaging tool, such as Macrium Reflect.
    ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JwPwns View Post
    Usb drive, you can create bootable window drives with usb sticks. I did mine this way, just copy the ISO over to the (formated) usb drive then plug it in make sure you enable launch csm and select the usb as boot option.
    Is this any different than using the Recovery option in the control panel?

What is csm?