Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time build, entry level gaming pc

sneezemeat
Level 7
Budget: 700-800$

Main uses of intended build: Mainly for gaming

Parts required: Not a clue :eek:

Previous build information (list details of parts): intel core 2 duel cpu E8400 @3.00GHz, memory 4gb ram, Geforce GTX 260, windows 8 32 bit.. not sure what else

Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080

Storage requirements: at least 1TB

Will you be overclocking: yes, although I have no idea how I will be researching this as I buy the parts 🙂

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): I'd probably need 3-4 usb ports and I use headphones that are have green and pink input plugs (not sure of the name)

Extra information about desired system: Basically after a computer that I can play games (mainly chivalry and cod) on without getting major FPS lag, also I wanted to be able to play blu ray DVDs. At the moment, I'm not sure if water cooled is even in my budget let alone the actual benefits! I'm fairly new to all this, in fact I only started reading up on it about 2-3 hours ago. I will learn as I buy the parts but that seems to be something I'm stuck on, picking parts to actually build the computer.. I feel as though I'll buy outdated low spec parts, Until I gain more knowledge!

Sorry for the rant, any help is much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

chrsplmr
Level 18
SneezeMeat .. hahhaha .. (gotta love that.) .. Welcome to ROG.

The budget will greatly hinder you in your quest .. that said. Much can be done with very little .. ie.
MB: ASUS F2A85-V PRO $139 newegg
CPU: AMD A10-5800K Trinity $129 newegg
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 $109 newegg
(the 16gb kit is $249)
A decent PSU and SSD will be around $250
A closed corsair liquid cooler or Air $50-$150
A case to hold it all together .. and your on your way.

There is nowhere to go but up from here:
add a GPU later...

I dont know about folding with this setup ..
Now if you tweak the ol budget a bit .. new game. Best of Luck.c.

sneezemeat
Level 7
Haha, not many people get the name 😛 Here is what I have found via other forums/doing a bit of research.

- CPU: i5 3570k (+/-$200)
- Mother Board: Asrock z77 Extreme4 (+/-$130)
- RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 ($109)
- PSU: 550W quality PSU (corsair, OCZ) (+/-$60)
- HDD: 1TB HDD like WD caviar blue (+/-100)
- GPU: 7870 (+/-$250)
- SSD: agility 3 120GB SSD for +/-$100

That's roughly US$900, what do you think of that build? I have stretched the budget a bit like you suggested, I compared your suggestions with the ones I found using another forum and found the ram to be better, but that is my own novice opinion, feel free to critique the build and give advice.

I'm still in search of a case (any suggested websites?) I'm also unsure if I should go 16gb RAM, liquid or air cooled & if the GPU I listed is good enough is good enough.

Zka17
Level 16
Quality PSUs are Corsair, Seasonic, some Antecs - but never OCZ... I may go up to like 650W...

Regarding the SSD, Samsung 830 and 840 series are very reliable...

chrsplmr
Level 18
Looks like ur on ur way bro .. AsRock is ok .. it's not ROG or Asus for that matter .. and the i5 .. nice.
The video ... not an A10 but .. et. Best of Luck.

Where do you hail from ??? Where in the World is the SneezeMeat.c.

sneezemeat
Level 7
I'm from Australia, mate Haha
Should I go the Asrock or the ASUS you suggested? I'm undecided on that.
Would you go agility 3 120gb SSD or a Samsung 830/840?
Also, Ive had a few different opinions on PSU's. 550W, 650W or an 850W?

Thanks for the help so far, sorry for all the questions!

asrock makes a great motherboard. The cost is really good to if you dont have alot to spend. I just sold my last build that I made for $890.
It was a great second build. Here is what I used - ZALMAN Z11 PLUS HF1 COMPUTER CASE
WINDOWS 7 ULIMATE 7 64 BIT SP1,
INTEL i5-3570K PROCESSOR
ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 4 MOTHERBOARD,
G.SKILL 8GB OF DDR3 14900 MEMORY
EVGA 670 GTX FTW VIDEO CARD,
60GB OCZ SATA 3 SSD
500GB HITACHI HARD DRIVE
SAMSUNG 24X DVD,
COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO HEATSINK
ULTRA 550 ATX POWER SUPPLY

Just look online and not just newegg. I got my case with shipping for $70 and at the time it was $100. It wasn't on sale when I got it.
See what kind of dvd drive that you have plus what size is your harddrive and power supply. You could use thoes parts from your computer now. I did, I used all three from my first build. The ssd was my boot drive and what main programs that I was using and the 500GB harddrive was for my other stuff. That computer was getting great FPS on my games and my boot time was 15 sec's. Hope this helps alittle.
Phanteks enthoo primo, i7-4770k, ASUS MVIF, 16GB G.Skill Trident X Ram, ASUS 780 Ti DC2O, Samsung 120GB and crucial M500 480gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive, NZXT 850W power supply
EK Supremacy, EK ASUS MVIF Water Block, EK Monarch Series X4 Ram, EK ASUS 780 Ti DCII, EK 420 Cool Stream Rad, XPSC 240mm RAD,Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir, Swiftech MCP655-PWM-Water Pump, Monsoon Compression Fittings & Tubbing, Mayhems Pastel Red with Mayhems ultra pure h20.

kkn
Level 14
the board C posted does supord AM2 ( not AM3+ like the prosessors out now ( socket ) ) so its an old one in a way.
if you feel for it go for intel and the i5 3570K ( its unlocked for OC ) and go for samsung, 830 or 840 is up to you but the 840 is newer ( if im not mistaken )
are you gona expand whit a second graphic card in the future i would go for a 850/860W PSU, but if only a single one then go for the 650W ( gold/platinum version ) one.
asus or asrock, thats up to you and what futures yiu are interested in.
the ROG series are made for gamers and OC'ers in mind that want quality and menny options in bios for diffrent OC options. ( it may cost a bit but its a good one i think ).

kkn wrote:
the board C posted does supord AM2 ( not AM3+ like the prosessors out now ( socket ) ) so its an old one in a way.
if you feel for it go for intel and the i5 3570K ( its unlocked for OC ) and go for samsung, 830 or 840 is up to you but the 840 is newer ( if im not mistaken )
are you gona expand whit a second graphic card in the future i would go for a 850/860W PSU, but if only a single one then go for the 650W ( gold/platinum version ) one.
asus or asrock, thats up to you and what futures yiu are interested in.
the ROG series are made for gamers and OC'ers in mind that want quality and menny options in bios for diffrent OC options. ( it may cost a bit but its a good one i think ).

Nope, the board Chris mentioned is not AM2 mate, but an FM2...different kettle of fish altogether 😛

Sneezemeat...hmm, i'm an Aussie and I don't think i've heard of that lol, but no matter...where you looking for parts mate? if you haven't seen them, look at PC Case Gear, the just won a couple ASUS reseller awards 2 nights ago and from my own personal experience, their service is pretty damn fast and they are pretty much THE cheapest online retailer you'll find 🙂

Chino
Level 15
Here's a build for $929 AUD. Have a look at it and see if you dislike anything. LOL Prices courtesy of PC Case Gear and iiBuy.

Intel Core i5 3570K - $206 (iiBuy)
ASRock Z77M Motherboard - $86 (PC Case Gear)
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $72 (PC Case Gear)
Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD Retail Box - $99 (PC Case Gear)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003 - $69 (iiBuy)
Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 2GB Overclocked - $249 (PC Case Gear)
Corsair GS-600 V2 Power Supply - $99 (PC Case Gear)
CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black with window - $49 (PC Case Gear)