cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little confused

Improv
Level 7
Hey all, I have a quick question.

I've noticed that with this motherboard and i7 3770k that when I have power plan set to max performance my CPU constantly stays at its turbo speed of 3900MHz.

My guess is that it's the power plan but the thing is with my old computer and 2500k even with it set to max performance it would still drop while I wasn't doing anything intensive.

Is this just how Windows 8 does it?
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You have to edit the power plan....in advanced there is a setting "minimum processor speed" or something like that, that is likely set at 100% at the moment ....set it to 10% for example and if you have speedstep enabled the processor will downclock.

Improv
Level 7
Oooh okay. So that's normal then.

Any ideas why my old build didn't need to have that done? Was there something wrong with it if this is working as intended? lol

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well check it is that.....;)

I'm not sure about the old system....probably nothing wrong with it....same OS etc?

Improv
Level 7
Yeah I just set it to 10% and it down clocked.

No the other system was running Windows 7, ASRock Extreme something motherboard.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm funny I think Win 7 does the same but maybe interacts different with other board, bios, cpu etc...

Improv
Level 7
Alright, it's no problem now. Rather have this comp work properly than the old one lol.

Glad to see that's how it is designed. Thank you very much.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40