cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 Windows 7 to Windows 8 clean install questions

Guido7142
Level 7
Hi, I'm willing to upgrade my G75VW from W7 to W8. My question is, how can I do a clean install of W8 so that I can generate once again all that restoration an security things that comes with the stock W7, such as the bios backup files, and everything else. Also I tried fresh installing W8 and when I installed the TDK package (fn keys driver), al on screen indicators for those keys no longer have that fancy ROG style on then, instead they was just a little bar on the top left corner (for the volume) that was far from being fancy as the ROG themed indicator that I got with W7.
I also hear that only SP1 is good since it does I don't know what to the UEFI and all that stuff.

I wold really appreciate some information about all this.
G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M
9 REPLIES 9

rewben
Level 13
@Guido7142, if you happened to download the w8 upgrade online, you can download it as an ISO file. with that ISO file, you should be able to create a usb install stick for fresh install. i suggest you to download it as an ISO because it can be used to create bootable install DVD also.

.. My question is, how can I do a clean install of W8 so that I can generate once again all that restoration an security things that comes with the stock W7, such as the bios backup files, and everything else.

sorry i don't understand this part. for the bios file, you can just extract the stock bios downloaded from asus support site into your c: and rename it to the correct filename.

Also I tried fresh installing W8 and when I installed the TDK package (fn keys driver), al on screen indicators for those keys no longer have that fancy ROG style on then, instead they was just a little bar on the top left corner (for the volume) that was far from being fancy as the ROG themed indicator that I got with W7.

i see you have actually done it. to restore the overlay indicators, run C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKOSD2\ATKOSDMgr.exe and enable asus on-screen display.

.. I also hear that only SP1 is good since it does I don't know what to the UEFI and all that stuff.

by default, your stock drive is meant for uefi install (it's a gpt disk). but is this a question about w7 sp1?

Guido7142
Level 7
That answers some of my questions, thanx.
What I really want it to make a fresh install just as if I were buying this notebook with Win 8. So just a fresh insatall and putting the BIOS file in C will do ?

rewben
Level 13
oh, that. including those bloatware? then you have to find out which bloatware are in your system now; and look for them either at c:\; driver dvd; at asus support site; or directly from the vendors' sites. note that there will be no more f9 recovery.

sorry a fresh install to me is wipe the disk, install a plain w8, then install drivers, then your software of choice, done.

Guido7142
Level 7
My idea of a clean istall is also that of yours, but I have recently bricked my system and everywhere I look or talk to they say 'oh but if you mada clean install you no longer have that something that was in your system with the original windows and bla bla'. So now I am doing all the research needed so that when my system comes back from RMA I am covered from bricks and other parafernalia.

rewben
Level 13
ok 🙂 personally i like a small system that runs only things i use on a regular basis. if that something is missing, i think i will install it when i really need it.

please note that it's good to keep a copy of your stock bios at c: it could be handy when something bios-related is messed up.

TokoDude
Level 10
And before you go to Windows 8

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AL DRIVERS THE LATEST VERSION!

or else you gain problems...
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

Guido7142
Level 7
And before you go to Windows 8

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AL DRIVERS THE LATEST VERSION!

or else you gain problems...

What do you mean ? I can download them once I have installed Win8...

Pitcher1
Level 9
you can install OS what you want, but if you send back RMA, it would reinstall back factory OS than back to you.

Guido7142
Level 7
I know, I will do the clean install after I RMA my system. When it comes back I will do this clean install.