cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Case recommendation to use Crosshair and two GTX 680 video cards.

Aronis
Level 7
hello all,

I recently completely rebuilt my 13 year old system with new MB, etc, the only things I reused were three SATA drives and the Case (ended up getting a larger 1000 W PS, inplace of 650 due to lack of enough SATA power connectors).

I bought two of the ASUS GTX 680s with the intention of setting up SLI with them but they don't fit!

The bottom card slot is too close to the bottom of the case! I guess with the usual TWO slot Wide Video cards this is not an issue, but I did not realize teh GTX 680 is THREE CARDS WIDE.

Anyone know of a case (full tower) that has the room to do this?

MB Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU AMD FX 8350
SSD drive for system drive with new install Windows 7 ultimate
Two 2 TB drives in RAID mirror
Two 1 TB drives in RAID stripping for 100 gig (200 gig for games drive) the rest in regular partitions
Two DVD burners
1 200 GB drive (left over)
16 GB GSKILL
Corsair HX 1050 PS
Case: Full tower.

And....I have a cooling fan in the top rear of the case and two in the front and the CPU still overheats when I run Handbrake (rips very fast with the AMD FX-8350) but I have to run it with the case open LOL... Any suggestions on cooling? I think the EOM CPU Fan assembly is fine, I just need to move more air out of the case. I have the two front fans (they move 26 cfm each) directed Out of the front and the rear blows out also I think. There are vents on the sides of the case and rear. Perhaps a PCI slot fan may help? If I put it just below the processor slot?

Thanks,

Mike
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z, AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX680 x 2 in SLI, 16 gig G-Skill Trident, Crucial M4 SSD,
Corsair Obsidian 800d, Corsair HX 1050, Windows 7 Ultimate
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15

Aronis
Level 7
No budget.

I've seen cases any where from 200 to 700 but need to know if any has fit two of the gtx 680s in any case?
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z, AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX680 x 2 in SLI, 16 gig G-Skill Trident, Crucial M4 SSD,

Zka17
Level 16
I think, any full tower case can house that gear... - just check which one you like then post it to get some comments about it... My preferences would be around HAF X, Storm Trooper, Phantom... - but those are very subjective...

With the Asus DirectCu system is only one problem... they're exhausting the warm/hot air on their side - directly in the case... So, I would choose some case which has fans on the side and set them as exhaust...

Did I get it correctly that you have the original stock fan for the CPU? If so, I would advise you to change it into an aftermarket one... that stock fan is unbelievable inefficient...

Chino
Level 15
Just to add to Zka's list: Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Thermaltake Armour Revo, NZXT Switch 810, Corsair Obsidian 900D, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Silverstone Raven 03.

lewybear
Level 7
Ok little confused as why your using the bottom pcie slot as for two way SLI you need first and third! That's how you get 16x
And most gtx 680 are 2 card thickness so which are you using?
Rampage v edition 10
I7-6950x @ 4.1ghz
Dominator platinum 32gb @ 3000mhz
NZXT X76 Kraken 360mm rad cooler
Corsair ax1600i psu full white cable set
Samsung EVO 970 1tb M.2 boot
Samsung EVO 850 1tbx4 SSD raid, storage
Titan xp jedi collectors edition
NZXT Phantom 820 full fan set
ROG frontbase
Samsung 55" 1000hz (140hz effective) 4k hdr tv as monitor
Windows 10 pro 64bit

Zka17
Level 16
lewybear, check the Asus GTX680 DC2s... only the 4GB one is 2-slot one, the rest are 3-slot wides...

lewybear
Level 7
Ok that's my point a lot of them are 2 slot other than those just wanted to know which he had cos you could change the IO plate on the card to make them two as mostly the third is for a cooling grill.
Rampage v edition 10
I7-6950x @ 4.1ghz
Dominator platinum 32gb @ 3000mhz
NZXT X76 Kraken 360mm rad cooler
Corsair ax1600i psu full white cable set
Samsung EVO 970 1tb M.2 boot
Samsung EVO 850 1tbx4 SSD raid, storage
Titan xp jedi collectors edition
NZXT Phantom 820 full fan set
ROG frontbase
Samsung 55" 1000hz (140hz effective) 4k hdr tv as monitor
Windows 10 pro 64bit

Aronis
Level 7
The triple thick GTX card surprised me. It does go first and third but the extra thickness of the card is the issue.

Yes heat is a big problem. I changed the front two fans to 26 cfm ones pointing out and strapped the old ones to the back if the case pointing out.

Running handbrake with the case closed the temp was stable at 69 degrees but still too hot.

The stock cooling fan rates very well in fan comparisons. It has the heat pipes and a 8000 rpm fan.

It works great with the case open keeping the temps at about 52 degrees.

I'm going to get some better fans. The noise does not bother me too much. LOL.