cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rampage iv won't boot

beeflomein
Level 7
Hey, so it's been a while since I build a computer and I'm running into problems just getting this one to start. It powers up and sticks on Code 34, and the vga_led is lit red and the boot_device_led is lit red. No signal of any sort goes to my working monitor. And to my knowledge doesn't even hit the BIOS menus.

Rampage IV Extreme
Intel 3930k
16GB G.skill Ares F3-2133CQ9
Kingwin LZR 1000W
Asus GTX 690

Ive reseated the CPU and RAM, flashback'd the BIOS to most recent update, cleared CMOS, did a raindance, unplugged and plugged things back in... I've done this before a while back and I'm pretty sure everything is connected correctly. the only thing I'm not sure of is the 12v 4-pin CPU connection. No cable came to fit it and the 8-pin block is connected.

I am open to any ideas, I've waited a long time to build something this high end and I'm deflated trying to get it up and running.
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, beeflomein.

I know you're a pro at this and I hope you don't get offended by my rather silly steps. But please bare with me. 😛

1. Disconnect all your cables and remove all your components from your motherboard.
2. Take the motherboard out of your case and put it on the box that it came in with.
3. Please inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

Report back. Also, which heatsink are you using?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
8 pin ATX should be fine to run on...the 4pin extra is just that, extra for OCing very cold..

Have you got both the power cables seated well on the GPU and the GPU well and truly in the PCIe slot

Make sure the PCIe lane switches are where they should be...try flicking them on and off

Also try a different SATA cable for the drive...and maybe try with only one stick of RAM in the first red slot on the right of the CPU....

Have you got a fan plugged into the CPU fan header...

beeflomein
Level 7
So I took it all out and put it back together again (even found a cable I missed) and it still comes up code 34 and absolutely no video signal coming out. From the ground up it lands on 34 when I install the RAM no matter how many sticks I put in. I am at a loss. Checked the pins under CPU and its all fine. CPU fan is a CLP0596 Thermaltake Frio.

Chino
Level 15
4. With all your components removed and your motherboard still on the box, remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
5. Insert the battery back into place.
6. Install your CPU with the Frio.
7. Insert one stick of RAM into the DIMM_D1 slot.
8. Connect the 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin power cables.
9. Power on your system using the Start button.

What QCODE do you see on the DEBUG LED now? And which of the QLEDs stay lit?

Zka17
Level 16
Double chack the RAM modules if they're seated correctly! You do need to hear/feel one click on each side of the modules...

If your VGA LED stays on, then I would reseat that too...

If the reseatings are not helping, then I would clear CMOS... either by the button on the back of the mobo or just by removing the battery for overnight then put it back...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Actually if I remember right 34 is the code the board sits on when you stop off in the BIOS so it sounds like you are booting and it is going into BIOS. But if you have no display that is where I would investigate....Did you flick the PCIe lane switches on and off?

Do you have an alternative GPU or monitor or cables to test.....or even a different PSU

If you have a fan connected to the CPU header does it spin? Did you try replacing SATA cable?

Let us know which suggestions you have tried....:)

beeflomein
Level 7
So I figured out whats going on. My case and the level of the mobo are what is to blame. Barely, just barely, when installed in the case the GTX 690 does not sit in its slot all the way (should have noticed that the GeForce logo wasn't lit) 34 is in the BIOS just the video wasn't coming out. Now this is something I'll have to be creative to fix I guess... if I can raise the board slightly everything should socket and still line up on the back i/o.

The culprit was a Fractal Design Define XL case. Super sleek and nice but apparently wants to drive me crazy.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help!

Zka17
Level 16
Have you used all the screws to secure the mobo in the case? Were those in the same level?

Sometimes these new cards are so heavy that they're bending - check the free corner of the card... be sure that the power cables are not tensioning it...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK cool...at least you know the hardware is working...just make sure you have the standoffs in the correct ATX holes or check the card is not interfered with at the back of the case etc. Or get Fractal design to send you a new case...or beat it with a hammer;)