Akki
Level 7
And Why?

If yes, how did u set it up?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Enigma
Level 9
I think that only some versions of the G75VW have throttling, mine doesn't appear to but I'm not sure. Some ppl do still use it and it's OK but just be careful, you can cause permanent damage if you don't know what you're doing.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

Akki
Level 7
Thanks,.. i am using it only wit default (2) gaming profile, and constantly monitor CPU and GPU temperatures.
CPU never exceed 66 and GPU 70 Celsius.

Are those temperatures safe?

Tnx

Enigma
Level 9
I'm no expert but that sounds well below the safe threshold. You should be fine. But it varies by machine too so you'll need to do a little research on what the max safe temps are.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

gokica
Level 10
Throttlestop has some weird effect on the CPU. I did use it while running Prime95 and it kept the clock at 3.3 - 3.4 on all cores on my i7 3630QM but made the temperature rise to 95C. Never used it afterward. Without it the temps never went higher than 80 degrees under full stress.

So if anyone wants to try feel free but keep an eye on the temperature. Never leave the computer unattended under heavy stress when this utility is used.

TokoDude
Level 10
CPU will get damage at 100C
GPU will get damage at 90C
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

gokica wrote:
Throttlestop has some weird effect on the CPU. I did use it while running Prime95 and it kept the clock at 3.3 - 3.4 on all cores on my i7 3630QM but made the temperature rise to 95C. Never used it afterward. Without it the temps never went higher than 80 degrees under full stress.

So if anyone wants to try feel free but keep an eye on the temperature. Never leave the computer unattended under heavy stress when this utility is used.

Thanks gokica - i will delete it - and as i dont see many replys here anyway, i think that it might be useless for our CPU.

BTW, did you overclock you GPU maybe? )

TokoDude wrote:

Thanks!

TokoDude wrote:

Really because the cpu tjmax is 105c at the point where it will throttle its self so it wont get damaged. The GPU also has this well over 90c. This will throttle them self's long before heat kills them and that's just a fact.

Now as for throttle stop it is 100% safe as you are operating in the limits that intel has speced as the max operating frequency. I use throttle stop and even with a stock crap paste job i never loaded higher then 78c after a good paste job i load at 65c.

Throttle stop will increase your heat across the board. idle and load. Some peoples temps can hit in the mid to upper 80's with crap paste jobs and other can stick in the 70's. If you get in the 80's it wont hurt the cpu at all its pretty much a normal load temp for the ivy bridge i7's if you look at all the laptops . Its just high for peoples taste but its fine. Right now im sitting at 3.4ghz and staying at 40c.

Now here is my recommendation.

If you use throttle stop you dont always have to lock the multi to turbo. You can lock it to the slower 3.2ghz or 3.3ghz that it uses for 4 and 2 threads, it turbos to 3.4 for single thread.

Now i recamend that load temps never go over 75c. This gives enoguht room in case you have a hot day where the load temps might only hit 80-85c that day and not in the 100c range and risk throttling or even a crash.

Also i will correct him the utility is not used under heavy stress. You are simply locking the multi to whatever you want upto its turbo. This means your system will run at that clock and not down clock its self like it normally world. Like i said my idle temps using using the system normal web and what not stays at 40-45c if i let it sit it will drop to about 32c.

What people who are new to computers think is that heat kills your components they are very wrong. CPU's and GPU's for years have had temp cut offs as well as a point when they throttle to maintain safe temps. The really killer is voltage here and unless you are volt modding or cranking up the volts outside of what they speced then you can run into some problems.

If you do it. Run prime check your load temps. If they are high and you wanna do it just repaste the heatsink. If not you can revert to stock.

Also i have throttle stop set up so when im on the battery the max my cpu will hit under full load is 1.5ghz. This helps extend battery life on my Sager since i use a XM power hog cpu and really the system can not game on the battery and if i'm on the battery its just doing ms word, internet or nextflix nothing that needs more then a 1.5ghz i7.

bignazpwns wrote:
Really because the cpu tjmax is 105c at the point where it will throttle its self so it wont get damaged. The GPU also has this well over 90c. This will throttle them self's long before heat kills them and that's just a fact.

Now as for throttle stop it is 100% safe as you are operating in the limits that intel has speced as the max operating frequency. I use throttle stop and even with a stock crap paste job i never loaded higher then 78c after a good paste job i load at 65c.

Throttle stop will increase your heat across the board. idle and load. Some peoples temps can hit in the mid to upper 80's with crap paste jobs and other can stick in the 70's. If you get in the 80's it wont hurt the cpu at all its pretty much a normal load temp for the ivy bridge i7's if you look at all the laptops . Its just high for peoples taste but its fine. Right now im sitting at 3.4ghz and staying at 40c.

If you use throttle stop you dont always have to lock the multi to turbo. You can lock it to the slower 3.2ghz or 3.3ghz that it uses for 4 and 2 threads, it turbos to 3.4 for single thread.

Now i recamend that load temps never go over 75c. This gives enoguht room in case you have a hot day where the load temps might only hit 80-85c that day and not in the 100c range and risk throttling or even a crash.

Also i will correct him the utility is not used under heavy stress. You are simply locking the multi to whatever you want upto its turbo. This means your system will run at that clock and not down clock its self like it normally world. Like i said my idle temps using using the system normal web and what not stays at 40-45c if i let it sit it will drop to about 32c.

What people who are new to computers think is that heat kills your components they are very wrong. CPU's and GPU's for years have had temp cut offs as well as a point when they throttle to maintain safe temps. The really killer is voltage here and unless you are volt modding or cranking up the volts outside of what they speced then you can run into some problems.

If you do it. Run prime check your load temps. If they are high and you wanna do it just repaste the heatsink. If not you can revert to stock.

Also i have throttle stop set up so when im on the battery the max my cpu will hit under full load is 1.5ghz. This helps extend battery life on my Sager since i use a XM power hog cpu and really the system can not game on the battery and if i'm on the battery its just doing ms word, internet or nextflix nothing that needs more then a 1.5ghz i7.

Danger zone (high) temperatures are pretty standard due to manufactures low-level specifications of usage. Danger temps are set to downclock the component such as the CPU or GPU in order to cool the component down enough to prevent overheating

Here are temperatures for specific components when they enter the danger zone.:

CPU danger temperature is around 75-85C http://ark.intel.com/products/64899 Ur right about 105 tijection
GPU danger temperature is around 90-95C
HDD danger temperature is around 60-65C

Threshold temperatures are also pretty standard once again due to the reasons specified under the danger zone temperatures. These temperatures are the most dangerous to a system, in which permanent hardware damage can be incurred if the user does not remedy the heat issue during which time the user is experiencing temperatures within the danger zone. Systems that have a component that reaches threshold temperatures will usually crash or shutdown when the temperature peaks.

CPU threshold temperature is around 90-100C (and above)
GPU threshold temperature is around 100-105C (and above)
HDD threshold temperature is varied, but above 65C is bad

Safe temperatures are temperatures are basically any temperature below the danger zone temperatures. Even a 5C-10C difference is ok as long as it stays below the danger zone temperatures.

If it is not a new system when a it enters the danger zone, it is a red flag to do some serious cleaning of dust from the vents and fans or to be aware that you may be blocking vents on the bottom or side, which is restricting the airflow. Only use notebooks on hard, flat, clean surfaces. Never use a notebook on a lap, couch, bed, or other soft surfaces.

If it is a new notebook and it is reaching danger zone or threshold temperatures it is recommended you contact the vendor of your notebook.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

bignazpwns wrote:

Danger zone (high) temperatures are pretty standard due to manufactures low-level specifications of usage. Danger temps are set to downclock the component such as the CPU or GPU in order to cool the component down enough to prevent overheating

Here are temperatures for specific components when they enter the danger zone.:

CPU danger temperature is around 75-85C http://ark.intel.com/products/64899 Ur right about 105 tijection
GPU danger temperature is around 90-95C
HDD danger temperature is around 60-65C

Threshold temperatures are also pretty standard once again due to the reasons specified under the danger zone temperatures. These temperatures are the most dangerous to a system, in which permanent hardware damage can be incurred if the user does not remedy the heat issue during which time the user is experiencing temperatures within the danger zone. Systems that have a component that reaches threshold temperatures will usually crash or shutdown when the temperature peaks.

CPU threshold temperature is around 90-100C (and above)
GPU threshold temperature is around 100-105C (and above)
HDD threshold temperature is varied, but above 65C is bad

Safe temperatures are temperatures are basically any temperature below the danger zone temperatures. Even a 5C-10C difference is ok as long as it stays below the danger zone temperatures.

If it is not a new system when a it enters the danger zone, it is a red flag to do some serious cleaning of dust from the vents and fans or to be aware that you may be blocking vents on the bottom or side, which is restricting the airflow. Only use notebooks on hard, flat, clean surfaces. Never use a notebook on a lap, couch, bed, or other soft surfaces.

If it is a new notebook and it is reaching danger zone or threshold temperatures it is recommended you contact the vendor of your notebook.