cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Build]: Hoth System

TenBlade
Level 11
Welcome to my build log. Should´ve started long ago, since the build is almost done now. When I first looked at the case, the Cooler Master Storm Stryker, I thought Star Wars, Hoth. So, that´s why I named my system "Hoth System". If I were an artist I´d air brush some Snowtrooper and an AT-walker on it...but I´m not. So, you´ll just have to imagine Hoth along with me.

K, build contents:
Case: CM Storm Stryker
Case fans: Three 120 mm SilenX Effizio red LED front, one Enermax Cluster UCCL12 PWM white LED w. toggle switch
Board: Maximus V Formula/ThunderFX
CPU: i7 3770K Costa Rica
Cooler: H100i w. four Arctic Cooling F12 pwm
RAM: 16 gigz of G. Skill TridentX 2400
GPU: ASUS GTX680-DC2-4GD5 (4 GB) in the mail
PSU: Corsair AX860 with 2nd gen. red single sleeved cables
OS drive: Samsung 840 250 GB
Optical drive: LG Blu Ray
Programs drive pending: Samsung 840 PRO 512 GB
"Junk" drive pending: Something low profile and fast
"Amsterdam" lighting: NZXT Sleeved LED Kit Cable 1M Red

The first three ingredients I got.

Fiddling with the push-pull config on the H100i

Darn it! The Fusion Thermo inlet collides with the lower fan. If I were to put radiator and one set of fans internally, and the other set just on the outside of the case, it would´ve meant hack sawing off the metal handle of the case, and I didn´t want that. I cut out, what I wanted to be a little rectangular pice of the fan frame, it however being surprizingly brittle cracked off a not so square chunk. Later on finding that the single sleeved cables weren´t as pliable as I thought I had to move the fan-rad sandwich, that would cost a tiny piece of the next fan frame, and an even bigger chunk came of, though I took greater care, or so I thought.
And in the end the whole shabang had to be angled, ´cause the holes were not practically aligned anymore. And I wasn´t going to drill holes.
25 REPLIES 25

Chino
Level 15

TenBlade
Level 11
Alright, Chino :), just for you, ´cause it´s getting rather late, and my boy wakes me at six. So, here goes.

Looking for very efficient, silent and ROG red fans for the front I found the SilenX Effizio EFX-12-15R - 120x25mm 15dBA 74CFM Red.

I got the idea to have no drives in the drive bays, and have all three compartments taking in air. So, I had to come up with a solution to get the third fan fitted in the top. I clipped some of the caddies, drilled some holes, and voila. One three stories high air intake.
Probably rather unconventionally, I like to have the case on the bed when I´m fitting things, I can tilt it, lie it down, do whatever with it (that came out wrong, I know...) without scratching it. And I´m wearing a ground wire.
G´night, folks!

TenBlade
Level 11
The inbuilt fan controller needed a rewiring. It came with two-pin connections for two front 120 mm fans, and one 140 mm rear fan, and with separately wired two-pin connections for the LEDs. Yanked the fan power connections out, they were glued on, and replaced with three-pin connections for three front 120 mm fans with LEDs. According to manual the lane for the 140 mm fan could be divided to power two 120 mm fans, but the three-pin connections are powering the LEDs too now, so I´m powering the rear fan separately, didn´t want to pull too much power on those connections. I haven´t done any math on it though...

chrsplmr
Level 18
Good One 10. It does look like it stepped right out of the 'Wars' don't it.
I keep look'n for the 'blade' lay'n among the tools though .. hehhe

Keep'm com'n bro. Sweet.c.

TenBlade
Level 11
I keep my blades at work :cool:
Now, the rear fan I wanted with white LEDs that would toggle on and off, and of course I wanted it silent and efficient. I found the Enermax Cluster, it had just those qualities. Since I´m hanging red Christmas lights up inside the case, I wanted a white LED to add a little contrast, but I honestly don´t know how it´s going to look.

The fan is easily detachable for cleaning

TenBlade
Level 11
I keep my blades at work :cool: too sharp for home use!
Worrying that a red LED rear fan together with the red LED Christmas light chain would make the interior lighting too red, I went for a white LED 120 mm fan. To not get the light in my eyes in dark conditions it had to have a toggle switch. I found the Enermax Cluster, silent and efficient too.

Funny looking bat wings, I don´t like the looks of it, but I guess at over 1000 rpm I won´t care :rolleyes:

The fan head comes off for easy cleaning

Wire has been cleaned up since then...

TenBlade
Level 11
The G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz, 4x4 gb, very nice red, and the cooling risers look fantastic.

And in the rather anonymous box came the Corsair red single sleeved cables. Had them shipped from California. They couldn´t have been released at a better time, or perhaps one day earlier or so, then I wouldn´t have placed a wrong order (local dealer) :rolleyes:. Managed to cancel it though, thanks to MeanBruceROG, who alerted me to these recently released cables just in time.

Memory seated and the wiring started.

Systemic chaos on the back side. Got the Samsung 840 250 gb SSD velcro´d to the back as well. The other drives are to follow.