cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW - Headset microphone sounds distorted to others when using Skype!

pixeldust
Level 7
When using Skype on a G55VW-DH71 with a Sennheiser PC360 Headset, others state that my microphone has a bumblebee/robot sounding distortion!

The OS is Windows 8 and when going into the newer Modern Skype settings it seems very limited as far as settings where you could possibly setup microphone gain/volume etc. There was an automated microphone adjustment/setup utility that I ran and that was it.

The headset works fine on another Samsung notebook that I have. Any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks!

...Glenn 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Do you notice the same behavior with the built-in microphone?

2) Do you notice any audio changes if you cut your video transmission? If so, you should determine your internet connection speeds at www.speedtest.net to see if they are on the low side or possibly even briefly disconnecting.

3) If you create a recording with your headset mic using Sound Recorder, do you hear the same distortion on playback?

4) If you record your own voice by calling the Skype "Echo/Sound Test Service" contact, does it sound distorted when it is played back to you? Since there is no video on the call, it is similar to question #2.

5) Are you logged onto Skype with the same account on your cell phone as well as on your laptop? I found this created problems with my Skype conversations. Signing out of one Skype instance resolved the problem.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:

2) Do you notice any audio changes if you cut your video transmission? If so, you should determine your internet connection speeds at www.speedtest.net to see if they are on the low side or possibly even briefly disconnecting.

3) If you create a recording with your headset mic using Sound Recorder, do you hear the same distortion on playback?

4) If you record your own voice by calling the Skype "Echo/Sound Test Service" contact, does it sound distorted when it is played back to you? Since there is no video on the call, it is similar to question #2.

5) Are you logged onto Skype with the same account on your cell phone as well as on your laptop? I found this created problems with my Skype conversations. Signing out of one Skype instance resolved the problem.

dstrakele,

The answers to your questions are:

ANSWER: No, the built in microphone with voice only Skype call has no distortion

ANSWER: Did not use any video transmission, voice only

ANSWER: Yes, the same distortion is present

ANSWER: Yes, the same distortion is present

ANSWER: No, not logged on to any other Skype call

*** Also keep in mind that the headset does function fine on another Samsung notebook! :confused:

...Glenn 🙂

dstrakele
Level 14
1) How long and how well did you test the headset on the Samsung notebook?

2) If you mute the built-in microphone, does it change performance of the headset mic?

3) Are you sure the headset mic is completely plugged into the jack?

4) Can you test with a friend's microphone to eliminate possibility of a bad microphone jack?

Since the problem occurs in a Sound Recorder recording, we know it is not a Skype or network issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT