cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artifacting on ASUS G75VW-NH71

kdaesung
Level 7
Hello all, I'm new to these forums and mainly posting here because recently I've had an issue with my new laptop. Warning, long story below, skip to last paragraph for summary and question.

ASUS G75VW-NH71
NVIDIA GEFORCE 670M
i73630QM
1920x1080 resolution

I bought an ASUS G75VW-NH71 with NVIDIA 670M from Newegg about a month and a half ago. This is my first gaming computer in quite a few years and I was totally infatuated with it and in heaven for the first month. Well basically in heaven until Monday night at midnight to be exact.

Saw the new drivers for the 670M and installed them immediately as I was waiting for Bioshock Infinite to finish updating on steam. After starting up the game with Ultra settings and I noticed a misplaced vertex or two. I freaked out and rebooted my computer thinking it was just the new driver and I didnt reboot after installation due to excitement. Started the game back up in High after reboot and everything was all better. After playing for a few hours I noticed the spikes protruding out of the environment again. Bummed out I saved and quit and checked the cpu and gpu temps. Everything was pretty normal, CPU at ~60C and GPU at 72C. So I turned the computer down for the night and left it.

The next morning I started noticing it in Medium, clean uninstalled the drivers in safemode and reinstalled. Still artifacting, now on the desktop. Reinstalled windows, artifacting in the logon screen. Updated drivers again to no prevail. The artifacting hasn't increased, infact I notice it very seldom, but for now I have powered off the computer and let it sit.

My question is, why is it artifacting all of the sudden? Everything was fine and dandy for the past month. The temps look normal and I checked logs and didn't notice any spikes at all. Was it a software thing? Did I wait too long after noticing the issue and cause permanent damage? Is there any way I can fix this without RMA? Please assist me if you can, I dont mind RMAing it, but if at all possible I'd like to avoid it. Let me know if there are any programs I should download to record logs if necessary. If I do have to RMA, how long does the RMA process usually take, and how do I go about starting it?

Thanks in advance,

Kristopher
11 REPLIES 11

Pitcher1
Level 9
how is back to orignal driver and when you play game set default? are you download driver from NVIDIA website? if yes, i suggest you uninstall and install back from asus support site.

Thanks for the speedy response. I didn't think of trying the asus stock driver. I just uninstalled the driver and clean installed the new one. Ran a few benchmarking tests and things looked fine, GPU peaking at 74C, but when I tried to run the game at medium settings I got the artifacting again. It was no colored pixelation on screen, just misplaced vertexes looking like spikes coming out of my hand. I shut down the computer for the moment, hope something can fix this.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Not to say you haven't done this, but have you tried other games? Does the same thing happen with them or is it just with BioShock Infinite?

Artifacts appearing on all games? Use a scanner.

Download and run EVGA OC Scanner X or OCCT (using check errors or enable scanner when testing) and run them for 15 minutes long (separately of course.) If you get artifacts appearing and on stock clocks, mind you... possibly looking at an RMA.

So artifacts are still showing up.

Driver problems can replicate this, but usually under certain games (especially newer titles at first.) If this is happening with everything, it's hardware unfortunately.

dstrakele
Level 14
Use Windows System Restore to restore your system to the time before you updated your video driver to confirm it is not a driver issue. Be sure to test with multiple games as @Dreamonic suggests.

Consider posting on the Bioshock forum to see if others are experiencing your artifact issue immediately after upgrading to that NVIDIA driver version.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

mrwolf
Level 10
Yea i would say, check some benchmarking apps and see how they run.. it could just be bioshock tripping out you never know, they might need to patch it since it just came out..

If you dont have artifacts on other d3d apps like benchmarking apps (ie, heaven, 3dmark11, catzilla) then all is fine and bioshock the game is to blame.. otherwise your temps and everything seem fine..

So I ran OCCT for an hour with shader complexity of 4. After about 30 seconds I noticed a ridiculous 1000+ errors. Cancelled the test and changed it to 5min with a shader complexity of 1. I got 64 errors. I'm not particularly familiar with OCCT so I'm not sure what settings I should have set it to, or exactly what it all means.

So, looks like there is something wrong with my computer. So how long is the RMA process and how do I go about doing it?

ZeroBarrier
Level 10
OCCT stresses your VRAM much like memtest stresses your RAM. It seems you have a faulty graphics card (the GDDR5 at least), unless you're overclocking your GPU VRAM.

No overclocking at all. I was assuming it had something to do with VRAM. How couId prevent this from happening in the future?

kdaesung wrote:
No overclocking at all. I was assuming it had something to do with VRAM. How couId prevent this from happening in the future?

It's the luck of the draw, no way from preventing it happening; unfortunately.