Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

<Resolved Non-Issue regarding manufacturing processes>

Hello guys,
    Recently i bought RIVE for my friend. The board came with scratched tracks in 1 place and it was bent in a banana-like shape. The mobo was really badly manufactured so i sent the board to the distributor to RMA (im a reseller too). I ve ordered another RIVE so i can replace the board fast . So now i got another D2MCAD board and this one is not bent nor has scratched tracks (or should i say - it has none that i have spotted) but there is quite a lot matt black "stains" on the front of the mobo (did not look at the back but all ASUS boards were always "dirty" on the back). So , my question is , what the heck are those stains ? Is that flux residue ? This is the first RIVE that was in my hands with such stains and the older board was the first RIVE i saw to come bent out of the box with track scratch. So my assumption is that QC check fails on those serials. Maybe ASUS hired chinese students for free to solder or QC those ? By the way , all RIVE that i bough came with 0.5-1cm free space between the inner box and outer box. Guys , i bought 7 rampage IV mobos now and i feel shocked about the quality of the newly manufactured ones. I think that such premium mobo with such premium price should be: packed in as tightly secured box, cleaned out of any residues and should be chcecked for such obvious quality flaws as scratched tracks or banana shape.... I feel frustraded as i already bought 2 mobos in a row and the first one was a complete disaster but i still did not get a refund. I am not going to buy and buy those mobos until i get a clean one without Quality flaws ....

Here are the photos : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xd63250b7q1ose9/Up7cmlXVxD

This is only a part of the stains. If i spent more time i would find alot more of those. Do you guys think its OK ? I really feel helpless as i am tired of RMAing this and getting a new one while waiting for a refund ...

P.S. Yes, this woodlike crap You can see near the socket is part of OUT OF THE BOX ACCESORY . Who wants this premium addition ?

P.S.2 I would really like to get some pictures or opinions from people using RIVE with serial D2MCAD to confirm the finding . So far 2 of the bvoards with serial starting with D2MCAD have no QC and crappyt quality...

P.S.3 Question asked form eternity : Why ASUS doesn't seal the boxes that contain such premium and expensive boards ? everyone in the chain of supply can do whatever they like with those.

P.S.4 I ve contacted my distributor and i signed for an order of newer batch of RIVE that is comming at 2013-04-03 . Anyone from ASUS knows if this batch QC is resolved ?
    Last edited by izajasz; 04-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Crumbs....I feel for you there! That looks horrible quality.... Even the solder points around the mounting holes are missing

You're right, for top price that's not what you expect!

And the un-sealed packaging is just a joke...and tantamount to cooperating with unscrupulous dealers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solder.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	18852

EDIT: After further research it seems that the holes along the top of the board are for the most part exactly like this so the solder is not a problem.....

The "staining", yes; that is absolutely not normal.
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 03-30-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: CORRECTION

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Unacceptable.
    Fix this problem, ASUS.
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
    RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
    TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
    Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

I seriously have no idea what those stains are as I've never seen them before. Concerning you got 2 boards in ridiculous shape, I'm willing to bet there's something wrong with your supplier. They're either providing used boards, they store them in really bad conditions or they're some unscrupulous dealer that bought something like a shipment that had been exposed to extreme heat or whatever condition at a no-budget price from someone who was supposed to dispose of it. I personally believe your distributor needs to be investigated..

I will bring this thread to cl-Albert's attention.

EDIT: On a sidenote all my Asus boards are perfectly "clean". 3 boards I currently use (development rig in sig, testing rig and my linux server/linux development rig). Also all the older boards I have in my "hardware museum" are also perfectly fine. Never had an ASUS board in such a shape (missing solders etc):/ (Or I would have stopped buying them all these years heh)
    Last edited by Nodens; 03-28-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Well, those images shows a pretty crap quality...

I have several Asus products, including mobos (had 2 RIVEs until now), but they were not showing similar things! I actually was enjoying just looking at them for long inutes and trying to find some flaws... max what I could find was couple hair-like things - I assume from some kind of brush, but those could be removed very easily...

On the other hand, I have to agree and share concerns with those who complain about the non-sealed product boxes! It is unbelievable that a RIVE, a GTRX680 DC2T, a Matrix HD7970 Platinum (just to mention few of the last high end purchases) all comes in un-sealed boxes!

Please, Asus, I really enjoy opening sealed boxes, taking of that protective plastic cover and opening a new product... it's like a ritual... - please, make me feel it with Asus products too!

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array sandro c PC Specs
    sandro c PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Ispiron i5
    MotherboardRIVE
    Processori7 3930K @4600 Mhz
    Memory (part number)Corsair D. CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 @2200
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX580 TI oc
    Graphics Card #2none
    Graphics Card #3none
    Graphics Card #4none
    Sound CardRealtk on board 7.channel
    MonitorSamsung LV32F390F
    Storage #1Raid0 2x samsung 850 pro
    Storage #2Raid0 2x samsung 850 pro
    CPU CoolerNoctua NHD14- Dynatron R13 under cpu soket
    CaseThermaltake Armor 6000B
    Power SupplyEnermax 625W modu82+
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Logitech G300S
    Headset HP USB2
    Mouse Pad a white printer foil
    Headset/Speakers RCF Home theatre 5 channels
    OS Win10 pro-Win10 Insider-Win7 pro
    Network RouterTechnicolor ADSL 46 Mbit
    Accessory #1 Webcam Logitech 9000
    Accessory #2 Epson ptoto Stilus PX800FW
    Accessory #3 USB DTT receiver

Hi guys,
    I am also shocked by the photos of the RIVE, and I agree with your aspiration ZKA17, ... "Please, Asus, I really enjoy opening sealed boxes, taking Of That protective plastic cover and opening a new product ... it's like a ritual "... but I am astonished at your statement, because I've never seen a MB ASUS factory sealed, (I have bought five in the past), even when I bought my RIVE had even worn out the edges of the box and it was initially believed to be defective, I made my complaints to the seller and the Asus Italy and they told me that MB never get "factory sealed."
    This is absurd, you're ready to leave a card of that value and complexity at the mercy of the vendors and curious that they can handle at their leisure before the poor customer then buy it! You have seen MB sealed sometimes?
    greetings

sandro c.

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

I agree, the boards being sealed would be best. I have no idea why they are not. Although it certainly won't help in the case of counterfeit products or other similar malpractices as the easiest thing in the world is to seal a product with thermally sealed plastic wrap. All you need is a heat sealer..
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array sandro c PC Specs
    sandro c PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Ispiron i5
    MotherboardRIVE
    Processori7 3930K @4600 Mhz
    Memory (part number)Corsair D. CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 @2200
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX580 TI oc
    Graphics Card #2none
    Graphics Card #3none
    Graphics Card #4none
    Sound CardRealtk on board 7.channel
    MonitorSamsung LV32F390F
    Storage #1Raid0 2x samsung 850 pro
    Storage #2Raid0 2x samsung 850 pro
    CPU CoolerNoctua NHD14- Dynatron R13 under cpu soket
    CaseThermaltake Armor 6000B
    Power SupplyEnermax 625W modu82+
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse Logitech G300S
    Headset HP USB2
    Mouse Pad a white printer foil
    Headset/Speakers RCF Home theatre 5 channels
    OS Win10 pro-Win10 Insider-Win7 pro
    Network RouterTechnicolor ADSL 46 Mbit
    Accessory #1 Webcam Logitech 9000
    Accessory #2 Epson ptoto Stilus PX800FW
    Accessory #3 USB DTT receiver

Certainly Nodens,
    it takes so little to do!
    But just because it is so simple and you do not, suggests that there is under a commercial policy will not want to.!
    Greetings from
    sandro c

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

My last ASUS board came sealed... a P6X58XD premium....I said this the other day in another thread...I had cold sweats every time I have opened a premium asus product lately untill I have dusted it for prints and gone over it with an electron microscope...

But Nodens is right, that board looks like it was not meant for sale...kudos for bringing it to attention!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Guys , You are all right. I always buy ASUS , I always buy ASUS boards for my friends and family and i never saw such crap. Thats why i brought this to attention here . I sent emails to my distributor with all info too. This is definetly a fail of ASUS. REally 1 normal plastic SEAL would do the job and would get everyone out of suspicion despite ASUS. If not all boards have seals then maybe at least SEAL ROG PRODUCTS PLEASE... I mentioned this in feedbacks to 3 distributors and ASUS support poland but it seems they dont give a s*** about forwarding this to HQ hence there are still no seals. And i do not believe its the fault of the distributor as i ordered RIVE from the new shipment that came around 23.03 so they did noit have much time to temper or store those mobos improperly. The problem lies with ASUS supply chain or maybe with ASUS factories itself, i dont really care. All i wanted is to build imba PC during easter holidays and now it goes all to hell thanks to crap QC or whatever. First of all I need an attention of ASUS staff and I WANT TO SEE ASSURANCE that at least future ROG products will be SEALED. I ordered next RIVE from my distributor from another shipment that hopefully will be perfeclty clean from fluxless, woodless and whatever less. Wanna see FACTORY NEW shiny RIVE as my old one running in my rig. When i saw the banan shape mobo my jaw dropped... so ASUS - SEAL THE BOXES - thats the first step. For now im still with You ASUS, but now i need fast and quality customer service withg RMAing those craps and get a proper RIVE.
    Last edited by izajasz; 03-28-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast