cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

<Resolved Non-Issue regarding manufacturing processes>

izajasz
Level 10
Hello guys,
Recently i bought RIVE for my friend. The board came with scratched tracks in 1 place and it was bent in a banana-like shape. The mobo was really badly manufactured so i sent the board to the distributor to RMA (im a reseller too). I ve ordered another RIVE so i can replace the board fast . So now i got another D2MCAD board and this one is not bent nor has scratched tracks (or should i say - it has none that i have spotted) but there is quite a lot matt black "stains" on the front of the mobo (did not look at the back but all ASUS boards were always "dirty" on the back). So , my question is , what the heck are those stains ? Is that flux residue ? This is the first RIVE that was in my hands with such stains and the older board was the first RIVE i saw to come bent out of the box with track scratch. So my assumption is that QC check fails on those serials. Maybe ASUS hired chinese students for free to solder or QC those ? By the way , all RIVE that i bough came with 0.5-1cm free space between the inner box and outer box. Guys , i bought 7 rampage IV mobos now and i feel shocked about the quality of the newly manufactured ones. I think that such premium mobo with such premium price should be: packed in as tightly secured box, cleaned out of any residues and should be chcecked for such obvious quality flaws as scratched tracks or banana shape.... I feel frustraded as i already bought 2 mobos in a row and the first one was a complete disaster but i still did not get a refund. I am not going to buy and buy those mobos until i get a clean one without Quality flaws ....

Here are the photos : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xd63250b7q1ose9/Up7cmlXVxD

This is only a part of the stains. If i spent more time i would find alot more of those. Do you guys think its OK ? I really feel helpless as i am tired of RMAing this and getting a new one while waiting for a refund ...

P.S. Yes, this woodlike crap You can see near the socket is part of OUT OF THE BOX ACCESORY . Who wants this premium addition ?

P.S.2 I would really like to get some pictures or opinions from people using RIVE with serial D2MCAD to confirm the finding . So far 2 of the bvoards with serial starting with D2MCAD have no QC and crappyt quality...

P.S.3 Question asked form eternity : Why ASUS doesn't seal the boxes that contain such premium and expensive boards ? everyone in the chain of supply can do whatever they like with those.

P.S.4 I ve contacted my distributor and i signed for an order of newer batch of RIVE that is comming at 2013-04-03 . Anyone from ASUS knows if this batch QC is resolved ?
MOBO: MVIE BIOS 1402 stock
CPU Core i7 4770K
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom. Platinum CMD16GX3M4A1866C9 in XMP, SPEC: http://bit.ly/Z56xfm
SSD/HDD: OS-SAMS 840Pro 256GB, APPS - SAMS 830 512GB, DATA - Seagate ST1000DM003
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ in SLI config (UEFI BIOS)
AUDIO: Onboard
CPU Cooling: Corsair H110
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W (SS-1000XP)
CASE: NZXT Phantom 630
DISPLAY: ASUS VG278Q (120Hz)
61 REPLIES 61

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Crumbs....I feel for you there! That looks horrible quality.... Even the solder points around the mounting holes are missing

You're right, for top price that's not what you expect!

And the un-sealed packaging is just a joke...and tantamount to cooperating with unscrupulous dealers.

EDIT: After further research it seems that the holes along the top of the board are for the most part exactly like this so the solder is not a problem.....

The "staining", yes; that is absolutely not normal.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Crumbs....I feel for you there! That looks horrible quality.... Even the solder points around the mounting holes are missing

You're right, for top price that's not what you expect!

And the un-sealed packaging is just a joke...and tantamount to cooperating with unscrupulous dealers.

My RIVE which is D1MCAD is missing the solder points the top three on each hole near the top of the board. I do not see marks on the board like the op indicated.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

mpoffo wrote:
My RIVE which is D1MCAD is missing the solder points the top three on each hole near the top of the board. I do not see marks on the board like the op indicated.

Yes , you are quite right....I have been looking at high res photos of the RIVE all over the net and seems the top edge of the board the holes are misssing solder always! So my post is nul and void in that respect!!

I don't want to start scurrilous rumors on the net! Sorry 😮

The "staining" of the OP is completely not normal.

Necrosan
Level 12
Unacceptable.
Fix this problem, ASUS.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Nodens
Level 16
I seriously have no idea what those stains are as I've never seen them before. Concerning you got 2 boards in ridiculous shape, I'm willing to bet there's something wrong with your supplier. They're either providing used boards, they store them in really bad conditions or they're some unscrupulous dealer that bought something like a shipment that had been exposed to extreme heat or whatever condition at a no-budget price from someone who was supposed to dispose of it. I personally believe your distributor needs to be investigated..

I will bring this thread to cl-Albert's attention.

EDIT: On a sidenote all my Asus boards are perfectly "clean". 3 boards I currently use (development rig in sig, testing rig and my linux server/linux development rig). Also all the older boards I have in my "hardware museum" are also perfectly fine. Never had an ASUS board in such a shape (missing solders etc):/ (Or I would have stopped buying them all these years heh)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Zka17
Level 16
Well, those images shows a pretty crap quality...

I have several Asus products, including mobos (had 2 RIVEs until now), but they were not showing similar things! I actually was enjoying just looking at them for long inutes and trying to find some flaws... max what I could find was couple hair-like things - I assume from some kind of brush, but those could be removed very easily...

On the other hand, I have to agree and share concerns with those who complain about the non-sealed product boxes! It is unbelievable that a RIVE, a GTRX680 DC2T, a Matrix HD7970 Platinum (just to mention few of the last high end purchases) all comes in un-sealed boxes!

Please, Asus, I really enjoy opening sealed boxes, taking of that protective plastic cover and opening a new product... it's like a ritual... - please, make me feel it with Asus products too!

sandro_c
Level 12
Hi guys,
I am also shocked by the photos of the RIVE, and I agree with your aspiration ZKA17, ... "Please, Asus, I really enjoy opening sealed boxes, taking Of That protective plastic cover and opening a new product ... it's like a ritual "... but I am astonished at your statement, because I've never seen a MB ASUS factory sealed, (I have bought five in the past), even when I bought my RIVE had even worn out the edges of the box and it was initially believed to be defective, I made my complaints to the seller and the Asus Italy and they told me that MB never get "factory sealed."
This is absurd, you're ready to leave a card of that value and complexity at the mercy of the vendors and curious that they can handle at their leisure before the poor customer then buy it! You have seen MB sealed sometimes?
greetings

sandro c.

Nodens
Level 16
I agree, the boards being sealed would be best. I have no idea why they are not. Although it certainly won't help in the case of counterfeit products or other similar malpractices as the easiest thing in the world is to seal a product with thermally sealed plastic wrap. All you need is a heat sealer..
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

sandro_c
Level 12
Certainly Nodens,
it takes so little to do!
But just because it is so simple and you do not, suggests that there is under a commercial policy will not want to.!
Greetings from
sandro c