Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sovereign

ASUS G74SX USB 3.0 Issues

I've been having problems with my Rocketfish USB 3.0 2.5' enclosure. When plugged into the USB 3 port of the G74SX after very little usage (especially during a HDTune test) it disconnects and reconnects rendering any transfer impossible (beyond a few hundred megabytes). Anyone experience this issue? It works fine in a USB 2.0 port and the USB 3 port works fine with a 3.0 flash drive. I tested the drive on my desktop which also has USB 3.0 and it worked just fine. I'm guessing the port isn't supplying sufficient power for the drive which is strange. I also tried plugging the 2nd USB connector into the USB 2.0 port to give it some extra juice but it changed nothing. The drive I am using is one of the 750GB 7200RPM drives from the G74 (I replaced one of the internals with an M4 SSD). Thanks so much for your help.

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

If you have a powered USB Hub that is 3.0 capable, test the drive on the hub. Maybe the port isn't supplying enough power.
    Kicking Ass Since Today

reconcool
    You are right Sovereign......the same probs is occurring with my WD 500gb..........i hope ASUS fixes this issue..........

Have you tried to install Asus USB 3.0 Driver? Course it happen to me before.. and after installing the driver.. its working again

I had the same problem. I had a WD Passport SE 2.0/3.0 1TB and even though the 2.0 worked fine the 3.0 didn't. It disconnected during transfer and couldn't recognized the external drive anymore. Then I bought a Seagate 500GB 2.0/3.0 and the 3.0 worked perfectly. So my gut feeling is that it isn't Asus but WD problem.

reconcool
    Lorca ...I tried it with the Seagate harddrive too.........it still got disconnected.........it even happens with my usb 2.0 hardrives and devices too. I tried reinstalling the drivers and still it didn't work. Let me give a last try by un-installing the old drivers and then reinstalling the new ones..........

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by reconcool View Post
    Lorca ...I tried it with the Seagate harddrive too.........it still got disconnected.........it even happens with my usb 2.0 hardrives and devices too. I tried reinstalling the drivers and still it didn't work. Let me give a last try by un-installing the old drivers and then reinstalling the new ones..........
    Try it this way, if you haven't already:

• Go into Device Manager, and expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section
    • Select any entry you see that includes the word "controller" or "host"
    • Right-click and select "Uninstall"
    • Repeat for the other "controller" and "host" entries until there's no longer a "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section left in Device Manager
    • Reboot your machine
    • Windows will detect the USB devices and automatically re-install the drivers. Let this process run all the way to completion (it takes a little while)

planetkor

I have the same issue...

... with a WDElelments SE 1TB.
    Here is how it always goes down:
    - I plug it in the USB3 port - it shows up/seemingly works
    - I start copying ANYTHING bigger than a few hundred megs
    - it disconnects then reconnects but the copy fails

Other than that, it works fine in USB2 ports... only slow.

C'mon ASUS! Fix this! It is ridiculous!

Asus G74Sx
    i7 @ 2.0GHz
    16GB RAM
    1.5 TB HDD
    GeForce GTX 560M 3GB

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

@planetkor:

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the way I described below? I suggest it because I think this lets Windows use its own power settings for the USB devices, rather than a third-party's install configuration. It's worth a try.

Also, do you have other USB devices plugged in while using your WD Elements SE?

planetkor
    @BrodyBoy:

No, not yet. I use this wonderful laptop for more than just gaming; I work with it, too.
    I got it two months ago and it came freshly installed with the latest and the greatest.
    I am, in general, a bit reluctant to make changes to it unless I am really forced to.
    You know what they say; if it ain't broken don't fix it.
    So I don't consider it broken just not working properly.

Yes, I have two other usb2 components plugged in:
    - wireless mouse
    - wireless headphones
    I also tried it with everything else unplugged and got the same old boring disconnect/connect results.

Anyways, I think I may try doing it your way on the weekend.

Question: should I keep the WD Elements SE 1TB HDD plugged in at the time of re-installation or should I just let Windows7 take it's own course?

It would be great to know if anyone before me had done this with success or I am the guinea pig here...

Sorry about the rambling....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast