cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74SX USB 3.0 Issues

Retired
Not applicable
I've been having problems with my Rocketfish USB 3.0 2.5' enclosure. When plugged into the USB 3 port of the G74SX after very little usage (especially during a HDTune test) it disconnects and reconnects rendering any transfer impossible (beyond a few hundred megabytes). Anyone experience this issue? It works fine in a USB 2.0 port and the USB 3 port works fine with a 3.0 flash drive. I tested the drive on my desktop which also has USB 3.0 and it worked just fine. I'm guessing the port isn't supplying sufficient power for the drive which is strange. I also tried plugging the 2nd USB connector into the USB 2.0 port to give it some extra juice but it changed nothing. The drive I am using is one of the 750GB 7200RPM drives from the G74 (I replaced one of the internals with an M4 SSD). Thanks so much for your help.
71 REPLIES 71

Chastity
Level 10
If you have a powered USB Hub that is 3.0 capable, test the drive on the hub. Maybe the port isn't supplying enough power.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
You are right Sovereign......the same probs is occurring with my WD 500gb..........i hope ASUS fixes this issue..........

Have you tried to install Asus USB 3.0 Driver? Course it happen to me before.. and after installing the driver.. its working again

Lorca
Level 7
I had the same problem. I had a WD Passport SE 2.0/3.0 1TB and even though the 2.0 worked fine the 3.0 didn't. It disconnected during transfer and couldn't recognized the external drive anymore. Then I bought a Seagate 500GB 2.0/3.0 and the 3.0 worked perfectly. So my gut feeling is that it isn't Asus but WD problem.

Retired
Not applicable
Lorca ...I tried it with the Seagate harddrive too.........it still got disconnected.........it even happens with my usb 2.0 hardrives and devices too. I tried reinstalling the drivers and still it didn't work. Let me give a last try by un-installing the old drivers and then reinstalling the new ones..........

reconcool wrote:
Lorca ...I tried it with the Seagate harddrive too.........it still got disconnected.........it even happens with my usb 2.0 hardrives and devices too. I tried reinstalling the drivers and still it didn't work. Let me give a last try by un-installing the old drivers and then reinstalling the new ones..........

Try it this way, if you haven't already:

• Go into Device Manager, and expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section
  • Select any entry you see that includes the word "controller" or "host"
  • Right-click and select "Uninstall"
  • Repeat for the other "controller" and "host" entries until there's no longer a "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section left in Device Manager
  • Reboot your machine
  • Windows will detect the USB devices and automatically re-install the drivers. Let this process run all the way to completion (it takes a little while)

Retired
Not applicable
... with a WDElelments SE 1TB.
Here is how it always goes down:
- I plug it in the USB3 port - it shows up/seemingly works
- I start copying ANYTHING bigger than a few hundred megs
- it disconnects then reconnects but the copy fails

Other than that, it works fine in USB2 ports... only slow.

C'mon ASUS! Fix this! It is ridiculous!

Asus G74Sx
i7 @ 2.0GHz
16GB RAM
1.5 TB HDD
GeForce GTX 560M 3GB

BrodyBoy wrote:
Try it this way, if you haven't already:

• Go into Device Manager, and expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section
  • Select any entry you see that includes the word "controller" or "host"
  • Right-click and select "Uninstall"
  • Repeat for the other "controller" and "host" entries until there's no longer a "Universal Serial Bus Controller" section left in Device Manager
  • Reboot your machine
  • Windows will detect the USB devices and automatically re-install the drivers. Let this process run all the way to completion (it takes a little while)

Tried this but the USB3 hub still won't recognize a 2TB Clickfree externally powered drive, though it works fine from a USB2 connection. I'm also having problems with a WD 1TB My Passport non-externally powered drive which worked initially but suddenly quit. Attempted a system restore but it didn't help. USB driver 3.0.119.1 appears to be the latest version but something within the system must be causing the issue. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Maybe it will work for others. I'll call Asus tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Asus G74SX-3DE | 17.3" FHD Matte Display | i7 2630QM | 12GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB | 128GB SSD+750GB HDD | Blu-Ray R/W

Muzz wrote:
... I'll call Asus tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Let us know, too! 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com