cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Profiles or my eyes hurt

Scott_St__John
Level 7
I just got the G75VW and its the machine that took me away from 9 years on a Mac. I use it for a daily, morning radio show and my full time IT job.

Based on the specs, this machine should not be causing any eye strain or headaches, but they are happening. I have a feeling I might need to adjust some color profile settings. After 9 years away, I am not sure where to begin. Is there a document for recommended settings or are there color profile file sets you can download?

I am running the highest resolution and have magnification set at 125%. Windows 8.

Thank you in advance!

-Scott
6 REPLIES 6

dstrakele
Level 14
Check out http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414252,00.asp. If you can access Windows "Help and Support" (I do it from the "Start" menu in Windows 7), you can type "color calibration" in the Search box and get relevant instructions.

Some users have complained the matte finish on the G75 displays makes the display appear 'grainy'. Could that be the source of your eye strain?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

UnAimed
Level 9
Do you wear glasses or contacts? If not then it might be wise to get your eyes checked out by an optometrist. There are also options like http://www.gunnars.com/what-are-gunnars/ which might help reduce strain and headaches etc..

I'm ok in the eye department and while I hate saying this - it was not an issue with my 17" inch Mac Book Pro. I was just adjusting some of the color settings in Windows and already it's better for me. Maybe that is all I needed 🙂

Thank you all for taking the time to answer me.

finalhour
Level 11
Try this out. I used to use it but no longer do because I need the most accurately displayed colors possible when photo-editing, which I do a lot of. This is a utility called Fl.ux that is free and take up minimal resources while running. It automatically adjusts your screen based on your location (lat/long, which it gets from you entering the city you're in) and the time of day, changing to adapt to the amount of light or sunlight. You can get it HERE
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

Retired
Not applicable
I have this issue too. Took me months of use before I realized my eye strain was being caused by the G75... now using mostly some external monitors, but I'm interested in if anyone has a solid solution here.

Specifically, I think the grainy nature is the main issue. I've mucked around with color calibration without much luck. Probably going to try some gunnars to see if that helps...

Matrix_Leader
Level 10
Have you tried the ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology 1.03.0002
ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LAT-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen