cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regretting buying the MVF [solved]

Preacher
Level 10
I am starting to regret paying good money for this board, when I got it I automatically flashed to the 1604 BIOS, which as I now know has problems for the majority of users, myself included. I then went to the 1408 BIOS which was stable apart from booting into windows boot manager which gave me the option of which system to install, as I only have 1 HDD with windows 7 on it my choice is windows 7 or windows 7. Pressing OK started windows 7 but then I had to go through the whole process of restarting and hoping to get into the BIOS without windows boot manager starting again, if I press escape this saves me having to through the whole waiting for windows to load before I can restart to try and get into my BIOS, when I finally get into the BIOS it acts like the 1604 BIOS and resets my BIOS settings.

My gaming is still rubbish with judder on the games I play, BF3 being the worst, virtually unplayable. I have tried my old monitor, old graphics card, on board sound, creative card, different router, old mouse, so 3 things are left, the CPU, memory and Motherboard.

Today I flashed back to 701 BIOS to see if this fixed my gaming (it didn't), and again windows boot manager returned, if I leave my computer and it goes to sleep, when I wake it up I have no monitor so have to do a hard reset. I have the BIOS settings exactly the same as when I had the 1408 BIOS but now when I set my vcore at 1.18v, instead of showing a constant voltage in CPUz, it fluctuates between 1.12 and 1.29, which gives me temperatures of 68 c instead of 58 c while trying to play BF3.

So after less than 3 months of owning this board here's hoping the new BIOS fixes these problems, if not I can see this board going in the bin. The reason it will go in the bin is because if I return it as faulty I will probably get a refurbished board and after 4 faulty refurbished 560 ti cards from MSI I was without a computer for nearly 3 months and I am not going through that again.
Intel i7 3770K@ 4.5GHz,
Silverstone Heligon HE01
ASUS Maximus V Formula, 1803 BIOS
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 @ 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27
MSI GTX 970
Samsung 250GB SSD
Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU
NZXT Phantom 630
Win 8 Pro x64
43 REPLIES 43

TenBlade
Level 11
Never flash BIOS unless you experience issues that warrant a BIOS flash. Things can, and may have gone wrong during the procedure(-s).
Just to be certain, did you at any point clear CMOS?

nikosa43
Level 12
Preacher wrote:
I am starting to regret paying good money for this board, when I got it I automatically flashed to the 1604 BIOS, which as I now know has problems for the majority of users, myself included. I then went to the 1408 BIOS which was stable apart from booting into windows boot manager which gave me the option of which system to install, as I only have 1 HDD with windows 7 on it my choice was windows 7 or windows 7. Pressing OK started windows 7 but then I had to go through the whole process of restarting and hoping to get into the BIOS without windows boot manager starting again, if I press escape which restarts my computer again this gives me the option of pressing escape again without having to through the whole waiting for windows to load before I can restart to try and get into my BIOS, when I finally get into the BIOS it acts like the 1604 BIOS and resets my BIOS settings. My gaming is still rubbish with judder on the games I play, BF3 being the worst virtually unplayable.Today I flashed back to 701 BIOS to see if this fixed my gaming (it didn't), and again windows boot manager returned, if I leave my computer and it goes to sleep, when I wake it up I have no monitor so have to do a hard reset. I have the BIOS settings exactly the same as when I had the 1408 BIOS but now when I set my vcore at 1.18v, instead of showing a constant voltage in CPUz, it fluctuates between 1.12 and 1.29, which gives me temperatures of 68 c instead of 58 c while trying to play BF3. Here's hoping the new BIOS fixes these problems, if not I can see this board going in the bin. The reason it will go in the bin is because if I return it as faulty I will probably get a refurbished board and after 4 faulty refurbished 560 ti cards from MSI I was without a computer for nearly 3 months and I am not going through that again.
Hey Preacher, cheer up, fill it up with positive energy and be ready to fight. BF3 is a game. Here is real life and most of the times the worst battlefield. Never give up and we will help you frag :). The motherboard you have is an excellent piece of hardware but it's made by people. There was some drawbacks but for now on I think all the major problems have been resolved. I tested the new BIOS revision all night and I am very optimistic for the future.So, please post all your components, which win edition you have to install and I (and others I bet), we will help you shoot everybody down on BF3.

Preacher
Level 10
TenBlade, I turn the computer off, clear the cmos with the button at the back, plug in my FAT 32 usb drive, go into BIOS, press F5, then flash the BIOS. My mobo came with the 0402 BIOS so to use ROG exchange I had to go to a newer BIOS, after I flashed to 1604 I had problems with saving settings so after reading all the problems with 1604 I went to 1408. So I guess I was experiencing problems that warranted a BIOS flash.
The only one that wasn't warranted was todays one going to 701, but you live and learn. I don't want to flash it again to 1408 to get my voltage back to constant so I will have to wait until the new BIOS is live on the ASUS site.

nikosa43, win7 ultimate, 3770K, corsair vengeance 1600, creative pcie x.fi extreme audio, seagate barracuda 500 gb sata 2, benq 2411T, belkin 2401 router, razer deathadder 3.5, Saitek eclipse 2, 2 gig 660 ti FTW sig2.

As I have said before mate, the people on this forum are first class, everybody willing to help and offer advice, it is a great forum.

I replaced a rampage formula and Q9450 which served me for nearly 5 years with this board and the rampage formula was 100%, never skipped a beat.
Intel i7 3770K@ 4.5GHz,
Silverstone Heligon HE01
MSI GTX 970
Samsung 250GB SSD
Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU
NZXT Phantom 630
Win 8 Pro x64

TenBlade
Level 11
Don't know if it makes a difference, but clearing CMOS by removing the battery for five minutes comes recommended in a number of posts here.
Good luck, P.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Preacher, I feel your pain, but hang in there, help is on the way.
I realize you will lose ROG connect, but have you tried bios 0804?
0804 has been the most reliable & stable version that I've tested to date.
Didn't see it listed, what PSU are you using?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Preacher
Level 10
Sorry mate, I always forget to list something, its an Antec Earthwatts 650 with 2 x 38 amp rails.

If the new BIOS doesn't help, then the only thing left is to put together my old rampage formula.

I did have a 580GTX lightning which was eventually given to me by MSI for all the faulty 560 ti's, I sold the 580 to buy a 660 ti with PCIe 3.0 to match this board hoping that would solve the problem I am having with gaming, but it didn't.
Intel i7 3770K@ 4.5GHz,
Silverstone Heligon HE01
MSI GTX 970
Samsung 250GB SSD
Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU
NZXT Phantom 630
Win 8 Pro x64

I see rumblings of a 1707 BIOS on another ROG thread from yesterday... It is a bit confusing that it is not yet on the ASUS site.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

red454 wrote:
I see rumblings of a 1707 BIOS on another ROG thread from yesterday... It is a bit confusing that it is not yet on the ASUS site.

I think it was Raja who'd said it was posted up on a Mediafire account to make it available as quickly as possible for everyone, something about red tape lol and since it was posted and linked to by Shamino, it's a legit BIOS for MV owners 🙂

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
I think it was Raja who'd said it was posted up on a Mediafire account to make it available as quickly as possible for everyone, something about red tape lol and since it was posted and linked to by Shamino, it's a legit BIOS for MV owners 🙂

it was extreeme ( that was that he did write )