Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Wink Is anybody using ThrottleStop?

And Why?

If yes, how did u set it up?

Thanks

ROG Enthusiast Array

I think that only some versions of the G75VW have throttling, mine doesn't appear to but I'm not sure. Some ppl do still use it and it's OK but just be careful, you can cause permanent damage if you don't know what you're doing.
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

Thanks,.. i am using it only wit default (2) gaming profile, and constantly monitor CPU and GPU temperatures.
    CPU never exceed 66 and GPU 70 Celsius.

Are those temperatures safe?

Tnx

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm no expert but that sounds well below the safe threshold. You should be fine. But it varies by machine too so you'll need to do a little research on what the max safe temps are.
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Throttlestop has some weird effect on the CPU. I did use it while running Prime95 and it kept the clock at 3.3 - 3.4 on all cores on my i7 3630QM but made the temperature rise to 95C. Never used it afterward. Without it the temps never went higher than 80 degrees under full stress.

So if anyone wants to try feel free but keep an eye on the temperature. Never leave the computer unattended under heavy stress when this utility is used.

CPU will get damage at 100C
    GPU will get damage at 90C
    ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
    G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
    GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by gokica View Post
    Throttlestop has some weird effect on the CPU. I did use it while running Prime95 and it kept the clock at 3.3 - 3.4 on all cores on my i7 3630QM but made the temperature rise to 95C. Never used it afterward. Without it the temps never went higher than 80 degrees under full stress.

So if anyone wants to try feel free but keep an eye on the temperature. Never leave the computer unattended under heavy stress when this utility is used.

Thanks gokica - i will delete it - and as i dont see many replys here anyway, i think that it might be useless for our CPU.

BTW, did you overclock you GPU maybe? )

Quote Originally Posted by TokoDude View Post
    Thanks!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Akki: The default ThrottleStop profiles do not do anything until a user sets them up. The Gaming profile doesn't do anything different than any of the other profiles.

ThrottleStop can not bypass thermal throttling that Intel builds into all of their CPUs at the factory. No software can bypass the throttling temperature built into Intel hardware. The maximum safe operating temperature for a 3rd Generation Core i Mobile CPU is any temperature less than 105C according to Intel. If running the CPU at this temperature was going to cause "damage", why would Intel allow their CPUs to run at this temperature? They could easily lower the thermal throttling temperature to 100C or 90C or whatever temperature they wanted to. They do not do this because their CPUs are rock solid when running at high temperatures. When going from the 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge to the 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge, Intel actually raised the throttling temperature from 100C to 105C which confirms the confidence they have in their CPUs. The thermal shut down temperature is designed to prevent long term CPU damage. Intel has set that to 130C for Ivy Bridge.

gokica: The weird effect that ThrottleStop is having on your CPU is it is letting your CPU run at its Intel rated speed. If your CPU runs hotter when using ThrottleStop, that's because your laptop manufacturer decided to use CPU throttling instead of including an adequate heatsink, fan and proper ventilation. Throttling is a far cheaper solution than proper design.

Laptop manufacturers throttle the CPU for a variety of reasons. Some manufacturers have used throttling so they could ship a power adapter that was not adequate to fully power the CPU and GPU simultaneously. Other manufacturers have used throttling because they figure that buyers would prefer to have a cool running laptop compared to a laptop that runs at its Intel rated speed. They know that most end users won't have the smarts to figure out that they have been taken advantage of. It's dishonest to bill a user for a 3630QM if the CPU can not run fully loaded at its rated speed without throttling. That's like paying for a car with a V8 and finding out that when you actually need the extra power, half the cylinders get disabled. A car buyer would never put up with that and would go back and demand a refund. Most laptop owners put up with CPU throttling because they don't know any better.

Ultimately it is your laptop so it is your call. If you don't like the choices your laptop manufacturer has made, use ThrottleStop to run your CPU at the speed and temperature that Intel rates their CPUs to run at. You didn't pay for a Dual Core or an Atom CPU so why have it running like one if you don't have to?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by TokoDude View Post

Really because the cpu tjmax is 105c at the point where it will throttle its self so it wont get damaged. The GPU also has this well over 90c. This will throttle them self's long before heat kills them and that's just a fact.

Now as for throttle stop it is 100% safe as you are operating in the limits that intel has speced as the max operating frequency. I use throttle stop and even with a stock crap paste job i never loaded higher then 78c after a good paste job i load at 65c.

Throttle stop will increase your heat across the board. idle and load. Some peoples temps can hit in the mid to upper 80's with crap paste jobs and other can stick in the 70's. If you get in the 80's it wont hurt the cpu at all its pretty much a normal load temp for the ivy bridge i7's if you look at all the laptops . Its just high for peoples taste but its fine. Right now im sitting at 3.4ghz and staying at 40c.

Now here is my recommendation.

If you use throttle stop you dont always have to lock the multi to turbo. You can lock it to the slower 3.2ghz or 3.3ghz that it uses for 4 and 2 threads, it turbos to 3.4 for single thread.

Now i recamend that load temps never go over 75c. This gives enoguht room in case you have a hot day where the load temps might only hit 80-85c that day and not in the 100c range and risk throttling or even a crash.

Also i will correct him the utility is not used under heavy stress. You are simply locking the multi to whatever you want upto its turbo. This means your system will run at that clock and not down clock its self like it normally world. Like i said my idle temps using using the system normal web and what not stays at 40-45c if i let it sit it will drop to about 32c.

What people who are new to computers think is that heat kills your components they are very wrong. CPU's and GPU's for years have had temp cut offs as well as a point when they throttle to maintain safe temps. The really killer is voltage here and unless you are volt modding or cranking up the volts outside of what they speced then you can run into some problems.

If you do it. Run prime check your load temps. If they are high and you wanna do it just repaste the heatsink. If not you can revert to stock.

Also i have throttle stop set up so when im on the battery the max my cpu will hit under full load is 1.5ghz. This helps extend battery life on my Sager since i use a XM power hog cpu and really the system can not game on the battery and if i'm on the battery its just doing ms word, internet or nextflix nothing that needs more then a 1.5ghz i7.

Wow- Thanks!

Now, what do you think, even tho its our own decision( as you said) if we wanna do it or no - do we need (do you/not recommend) to `ThrottleStop` CPU in this laptop?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast