cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal paste

ushhh
Level 7
Hi all I'm going to repaste my CPU and GPu and wondering which thermal paste do you guys think is better arctic cooling mx-4 or arctic silver 5 thanks
G75VW-DS73 | BIOS 223 | 3820QM | 32GB RAM | VERTEX 4 256GB SSD / SEAGATE SSHD 1TB | Intel 6235 WiFi
21 REPLIES 21

bignazpwns
Level 11
ushhh wrote:
Hi all I'm going to repaste my CPU and GPu and wondering which thermal paste do you guys think is better arctic cooling mx-4 or arctic silver 5 thanks

Its all pretty much the same. At most your talking around a 1-2c diff is most cases non at all.

I always used AS5 and i always will.

UnAimed
Level 9
There's lots of thermal pastes better than AS 5. AS 5 is relatively old and outdated, but still gets nice temp drops and I have only had positive experiences with it.

Noctua and MX-4 are my favorites. IC Diamond is one of the best, but it can be quite difficult to apply. Also remember that AS 5 is electrically conducive and requires a curing period unlike MX 4. It won't really matter all that much what you choose though. Just make sure that if you go for AS 5 to not get any of it on the pcb or anywhere other than the heat spreader or you may end up shorting the laptop which I have read happening to some people over the years.

Hope that helps

UnAimed wrote:
There's lots of thermal pastes better than AS 5. AS 5 is relatively old and outdated, but still gets nice temp drops and I have only had positive experiences with it.

Noctua and MX-4 are my favorites. IC Diamond is one of the best, but it can be quite difficult to apply. Also remember that AS 5 is electrically conducive and requires a curing period unlike MX 4. It won't really matter all that much what you choose though. Just make sure that if you go for AS 5 to not get any of it on the pcb or anywhere other than the heat spreader or you may end up shorting the laptop which I have read happening to some people over the years.

Hope that helps

Better? Its all whiten a few c of each other.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

As you can see AS5 is old but still one of the best.

bignazpwns wrote:
Better? Its all whiten a few c of each other.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

As you can see AS5 is old but still one of the best.

Yup I'm aware of that. It depends on what chart/website you look. Some put AS5 above and others MX4 or Icy diamond. AS5 has never let me down but all the reasons mentioned above I prefer MX4.

To Ushhh- Remember that the application method is just as important or perhaps even more important than the thermal paste brand.

Vicodin
Level 10
AS5 had the idle temp on my GPU at 33c in an Asus G55. 70c after 15 min furmark. New to me is not always better than old. I can trust the "old stuff".

ushhh
Level 7
Cool thanks for the help think I'm going to go with as5
G75VW-DS73 | BIOS 223 | 3820QM | 32GB RAM | VERTEX 4 256GB SSD / SEAGATE SSHD 1TB | Intel 6235 WiFi

ushhh
Level 7
Looking at there website I have to put a vertical line across the CPU and for the GPu should I put a pea size ball in the middle of the chip thanks

ushhh wrote:
Looking at there website I have to put a vertical line across the CPU and for the GPu should I put a pea size ball in the middle of the chip thanks

Thats if the chip has a ihs. On mobile chips you will need to do it this way.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/ss/intel_app_method_surface_spread_v1.1.pdf

i have a intel 3820qm installed so i think mine looks like this 19084