Mobo: MVF (Obviously)
CPU: i7 3770k
RAM: 8GB 2666Mhz G.Skill Trident X
HDD: 256gb OCZ Vector
GPU: HD6970 2GB
PSU: AX1200i

Problem:

Temporary Workaround:

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next driver update. I was wondering if anyone (A mod, Asus member or something?) could let us know if this is a known bug and is being looked at or anything.

Edit: Seems the same thing can be said for the microphone tick-box. Once checked you can't un-check it. I have also tried disabling all other audio devices, aswell as trying each setting on the TFX/Speaker output settings "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority". I have tried both turning them on and off and then re-opening the TFX window and trying, none of the combinations produced any results.
8 REPLIES 8

Sunwind
Level 7
bump. any moderators privy to info on this?

Sunwind
Level 7
bump. any moderators privy to info on this?

soran
Level 7
The Contolpanel says Realtek there for Speakers. Not ThunderFX. Could that be the problem?

well the thunderFX is an external sound card for the headset not the speakers, so you use the motherboard SupremeFX sound with speakers and then go into the CP to turn the output to the headset which you're using with the TFX on or off when you want to use it, but that's the bug, once you enable it you can't disable the output to that device and put it back to the one it was one previously, the tickbox stays ticked.

WTC
Level 7
Pretty sure this is not a bug, although this might not be the way you really want it to behave. The ThunderFX UI can only control the ThunderFX device, not other devices (onboard audio or anything else). When you click the headphone check box on ThunderFX UI, you're telling it you want to use ThunderFX headphone for output. If you want to use onboard audio for output, you can not tell the ThunderFX UI to switch to the other device for output since the UI has no control over other devices. This can only be done with someone controlling all the audio devices, which is Windows Audio System. So I would guess the only way to switch between output devices is thru the Sound property page as your workaround has shown.

WTC wrote:
When you click the headphone check box on ThunderFX UI, you're telling it you want to use ThunderFX headphone for output.

Exactly. so un-checking the box should tell it I no longer want to use the TFX and return the audio settings to their previous setup/not keep the TFX as the main audio output source, or why have a checkbox anyway?

WTC
Level 7
Well, I would guess the "Default Device" selection should work as "radio button" (one of them should be selected at all times), not "check box". That's how Windows Audio System Sound property page works (there's no "un-select" default device). ThunderFX UI behaves this way also, but it can only govern ThunderFX device...

It's possible to design the UI as what you've described, un-check the device and the default device be automatically assigned to the previous one, but I can image other problems will be introduced. But I might be wrong...

so the tickboxes just don't work as tickboxes should, and it is a poor interface design error?