cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So many issues with Rampage IV Extreme

LoboDirus
Level 7
So I have been attempting to get a custom build up and running for months now, no thanks to Asus' tech support.
The main components of the build are:
Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 7970
CPU: Intel i7-3930K
PSU: Silent Pro Hybrid 1050
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 16GB quad kit
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Extreme

I was unlucky enough to get a non functioning motherboard right of the bat which Asus tech support was no help with so I finally gave in and just went through an RMA with the thing. Which turned out to take over three months to get a refurbished model.
Now I can finally attempt this again but every time I attempt to boot up everything powers on just fine, lights everywhere fans going, but monitors will not recognize that they are hooked up to a video card. My case a Cosmos II has a nice little LED display showing the fan speed of all the components and everything but the Graphics card is lit up.
I have tried swapping cords around, plugged into multiple slots and attempted to put in a cheaper model PCIe graphics card that didn't require its own power connection and nothing. The motherboard is not throwing any error codes or giving any beep codes.

Any ideas as to what I could be over looking or what could be causing the problem?
21 REPLIES 21

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The board must be showing something on the debug leds...a q code.....what code is it showing? AA? or something else..

Make sure the PCIe lane switches are on

The board is displaying 00, which according to the manual is not used so I've been taking that as no error. The switches are all set to on and I have tried turning them to off then back to on in a futile effort.

ChiefZeke
Level 10
I have to ask - you said "monitors" - both not working? Did you try only one? In either of the connectors?
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

I have tried three different monitors in both slots of the video card using DVI and VGA with adapter.

Melting_Point
Level 10
Just checking, but you did plug the power cables into the Radeon HD 7970, didn't you? You could try plugging in the EZ-plug 1, but I doubt that will help. I've got a GTX 580, and I don't have it plugged in. Do you have another GPU you could test the system with, or another system you can test the Radeon HD 7970 in?

On another note, I'd be seriously disappointed if I RMA'd a board that was DOA, and didn't receive a brand new board as a result. Is it customary for ASUS to supply refurbed boards when you RMA a brand new board that has never worked? I would certainly hope not. In fact, I'd send it back to them, reminding them that you have paid for a brand new board, not a refurbished (ie. used) board, and that's what they ought supply to you.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Yes the cables are both plugged in, I have tried using the EZ-plug first, didn't work so I tried using one of the cords that came with my PSU that had the split end, when that didn't work I switched to two different cables and no change with any of them. As I stated in the original post I did switch off to another GPU and the same thing happened. I however do not have another system on hand with PCIe slots.

As for the RMA, yeah Asus said it is their policy that the only replace RMAd products with refurbished models. Really sucked and that really annoyed me that I spent that much on a brand new board and they were not willing to do anything about it, not to mention the fact that it took them over three months just to get me the refurbished model. This is exactly why I didn't want to go through with RMAing the video card too, but I don't think I will need to seeing as the other card also did not work.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Do you have another power supply you could try? Check to make sure your 24 pin and 8 pin ATX power connections are ok....i.e. they are making good contact and are seated properly.

Before you seated the CPU did you check the socket for bent pins etc? Is one of the fans from the FRIO connected to the CPU fan header?

I too would not accept anything but a brand new board if the RMA was for a board that never worked.

I do not have another PSU that would supply enough power to start up this machine, my current computer is too old.
The power cords seem to all be in all the way as I said everything even the video card is getting power. The fans and power LEDs on the GPU itself start up once the computer is turned on.
When I looked over the CPU it looked fine to me, I could see no bent pins. As for the Frio both fans are plugged into the speed control which is then plugged into the fan header.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well for trouble shooting I would plug one fan directly to CPU fan header....use only one stick of RAM in the red slot immediately to the right of the CPU unplug all disk drives and all peripherals except mouse and keyboard....

Double check the insides of the 24 pin and 8 pin atx power cables at both ends to make sure the contacts are ok

make sure GPU is seated well in PCIe lane and that there is no interference from case etc.

Only one monitor and try a different connection cable if you have one.

How did you come to the conclusion the first board was bad....has your CPU ever worked? the other system components? or are they all new and untested?

Clear CMOS etc and maybe flash another BIOS....do you know which BIOS you are on?