cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matrix 7970 CX vs 680 sli

Crof
Level 7
Hey guys.

So i've been on the look out for 1 or 2 new gpu's and since i've only ever had experience with nvidia, that is what i was initially looking into.
Then i stumbled onto the ROG 7970 matrix which has a lot of cool features, but "most importantly" it's got bling effect of the illuminated matrix writing on top. I've gotta admit, this means quite a great deal for my gpu choise. I've also looked into the 690 which has got a similar effect. Performance contra money is not really an object for me. The thing i worry about mostly, is, is it money down the drain buying 2x 7970, compared to sli 680 just to get some glow?

I hope you bare with me on the fact that this isn't a purely performance question 🙂

Thanks in advance.

- Chris
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15
Performance wise, both of them are pretty close. The HD7970 CF excels in some games while the GTX 680 SLI excels in others. From a cost/benefit standpoint, AMD is the way to go. In your case, since money isn't an option and you're looking for some bling, the Matrix CF is the right configuration for you. It's pretty rare but see if you can get your hands on an Asus ARES II. You'll love the glow.

Zka17
Level 16
Not sure which exact models of the GTX680s are you looking at, but the Matrix HD7970s do have the bling and performance advantage among Asus cards right out of the box...

If you would want just performance, I would advise you 2x GeForce Titans... - not so much bling though...

kkn
Level 14
all in all it comes down to the games been used ( not for benching ).
nvidia have the power when it comes to phsyx over AMD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5fi3ARXWKc 🙂

I was thinking more of the cost/performance ratio. Not that im extremely loaded with cash 😄 the idea was that usually when comparing gpu's, ppl tend to look at price on each of the cards compared. I just wanted the performance aspect in this 🙂
But thanks for your feedback guys. I Think i'll see if i Can get my hands on the 7970 matrix x 2 🙂 they are kinda out of stock everywhere here in Denmark -.- but they do look sexy tho 🙂
If only i had permission from my gf to go for the ares ii card 😄 ahh to be single again 😉 haha

- Chris

Chino, where did you find those prices at? I've been searching the Web for days, and the cheapest i found any of them is at 3500 and they dont sell them there anymore. So its up to 3800 now.

Zka17
Level 16
Good catch, Chino! 🙂 Now just remain to see if that store really has the cards on stock... (sometimes they just forget to update their website - I would definitely call and get a confirmation before ordering)

Zka17 wrote:
Good catch, Chino! 🙂 Now just remain to see if that store really has the cards on stock... (sometimes they just forget to update their website - I would definitely call and get a confirmation before ordering)

Prolly wont have the, because of: "Forventet på lager 22-04-2013" and the Matrix is a "Bestillingsvare." Couple of stores in Sweden has had the same for months and months but no one actually has gotten them in stock.