cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoebus_8_0_1_29: Did firmware update destroy my Phoebus Card?

soran
Level 7
Hello evrybody

I have a ROG Xonar Phoebus Card and a Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

I have a nice funny problem since tried to install the Phoebus_8_0_1_29 Drivers. (or now with a non functional anymore card?)

I started installing it and it prompted me for fw-update.
It did something and told me that i should shutdown the pc before i can proceed.

done that.
restarted the installer and guess what.....

it did not recognize the card anymore.
it also is not shown in device-manager

rebooted.... nothing...

booted linux and tried lspci...
Not sure how the card would be displayed but i think that it's not there.

So, is there a chance, that the fw-update destroyed the card?

btw: yes, the power cable is connected (the card was working before)
the lights in the rear panel are working. does that mean anything or is it just "as long as there is power, there is light"?
I found out, that mainboards bios was not accessible anymore.
after removing phoebus this works again.

my local dealer had the idea to put the card into another slot.
done that, it still is not beeing found, but bios of mainboard remains accessible.

any ideas how i could bring that card back to live?

Soran.
11 REPLIES 11

Tassy
Level 7
I am not sure mate, but it sounds like you bricked it, (Like I did my Video cards with that crappy Vbios updater. Mine locked up half way through na bricked both cards.
I hope it hasn't happened to you though.

I think some others have had this problem, and I don't think the card is 'bricked'. Sorry if you already tried this, but when you put it in another slot, did you uninstall the drivers first and then re-install them once the card was seated in the new slot? If you left the drivers installed and moved the card it won't work in all likelihood.

So, if you didn't then uninstall the drivers, reboot, and then shutdown. Move the card to a new PCIe slot and fire her back up, then install the drivers again and see if that helps.

Also make sure you have onboard audio disabled in the bios if you can. I would also consider that it may perhaps be your mainboard, or at least the slot the card was in that may be the real culprit here.

soran
Level 7
i uninstalled dolby and open al.
there was no uninstaller for the drivers in the programs and features window.

so i did it in the device-manager.

but the pograms programs ins c:\programs\.... are still there because of that.
the problem is: i wanted and still want to remove that, but i don't know how to do that safely.

WTC
Level 7
In programs and features window, do you see "ASUS Phoebus Audio Sound Card" item? If no, driver package not installed correctly...

WTC wrote:
In programs and features window, do you see "ASUS Phoebus Audio Sound Card" item? If no, driver package not installed correctly...

soran wrote:

there was no uninstaller for the drivers in the programs and features window.

i hope this helps

K. Since you don't see the ASUS Phoebus drivers listed in the uninstall option then they were not installed correctly. This was most likely caused by you having an anti virus program running without disabling it before installing your drivers. Turn it off completely (for example if you have Bitdefender make sure you disable the Active Virus scan as well as the On Access).

If you can get the drivers to install properly but it still doesn't work, then uninstall them, reboot, after everything starts up reboot again, then try installing them one more time (with no antivirus running).

Srry if this doesn't help but its kinda hard shoting in the dark. 😛

soran
Level 7
in the meanwhile i was able to test if the card would appear in another machine.
it does not.

second thing is: i have now removed the drivers manually with a little help of driver fusion, ccleaner and regedit.

so there will be a hopefully clean system when i get my replacement card.

AVtemp
Level 10
Firmware update is an extremely risky operation.
If anything goes wrong during this operation, you get dead device.
No way Asus placed firmware update in those driver by mistake.

There are few stages in firmware update:
1.New firmware code placed in hardware buffer memory by driver update software.
2.Old firmware erased on hardware chip.
3.New firmware writed to hardware chip.
If there will be power loss while in 2 or 3 stages, you will get dead device.

No firmware=no device information in OS.

Firmware update is the same as motherboard BIOS update.
And there are devices with dualbios,if one BIOS is corrupted you still have another.
ASUS has CrashFree BIOS on motherboards, where users can use an included DVD to restore the BIOS in the event of a failure.
Don`t know how it works with Phoebus.
The other way is to unsolder firmware memory chip and reprogram it in programmator device, or do JTAG reprogramming.
No way you can do this by yourself, i don`t know if even local Asus service can do this.

AVtemp wrote:
Firmware update is an extremely risky operation.
If anything goes wrong during this operation, you get dead device.
No way Asus placed firmware update in those driver by mistake.

There are few stages in firmware update:
1.New firmware code placed in hardware buffer memory by driver update software.
2.Old firmware erased on hardware chip.
3.New firmware writed to hardware chip.
If there will be power loss while in 2 or 3 stages, you will get dead device.

No firmware=no device information in OS.

Firmware update is the same as motherboard BIOS update.
And there are devices with dualbios,if one BIOS is corrupted you still have another.
ASUS has CrashFree BIOS on motherboards, where users can use an included DVD to restore the BIOS in the event of a failure.
Don`t know how it works with Phoebus.
The other way is to unsolder firmware memory chip and reprogram it in programmator device, or do JTAG reprogramming.
No way you can do this by yourself, i don`t know if even local Asus service can do this.

yes there is no official firmware released till now the firmware will be updated during driver installation