cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula will not POST

Retired
Not applicable
Hello all,
I recently purchased the Crosshair V Formula and an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE and am unable to get the system to POST. I have 4x4GB sticks of G. Skill Ripjaw Series DDR3-1600 and have tried each stick individually in each RAM slot. Each time, whether I start the system with the power button or the MemOK! button, the CPU Q-LED lights up solid red and the DRAM LED just above it blinks red. The RAM was previously used in another system, so I suspect bad sticks of RAM are unlikely. I have also tried booting with only CPU, RAM, and video card (AMD HD5870) with the same issue. In addition, I've tried the clear CMOS jumper, connecting the 4-pin molex connector, and reseating components, to no avail. I have a 1000W PSU, so power should not be an issue. There is never any video on the screen, as the motherboard immediately goes into the failure state, so I can't say for certain what BIOS version I have (though I suspect it's 0404) and once it enters the failure state, it can only be turned off with the button on the PSU; neither power or reset button have any effect, pressed or held. Short of seeking an RMA for both CPU and motherboard, which I'd prefer to leave as an option of last resort, what other options/techniques can I try to get this board to POST? Thanks in advance.
45 REPLIES 45

Raja
Level 13
Hi,

The only thing I can suggest outside what you have tried already is to try different RAM (if you can borrow a DIMM). Failing that, it seems you may well have to RMA if the board will not POST.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
same problem for me too...but i got 1 long/2 short beeps. tried the same things. rma board and new one was able to boot. but now i have more problems. Point is tho, sounds like an RMA for you as that was all that fixed mine...poo

Retired
Not applicable
Have pretty much the same problem as well, waiting to get the RMA papers and then they better fix this freakish problems ><

Retired
Not applicable
I'm having the same problem only when I hit the go button the dram LED blinks vs hitting the Start, where it doesn't. I'm confused about how the the lighting sequence should be. Should all the lights be off after cycling the power or should they all be solid red or do they all cycle on then off?

I'm stuck at solid CPU and blinking/not blinking DRAM with no beeps at all.

Retired
Not applicable
Summary of our issue:
System powers on, all fans spin normally. No beeping. DRAM_LED lights up.

Retired
Not applicable
We had this same issue.
Even though you may think you have the ram properly seated, you may want to recheck it.
these boards sometimes come with such stiff ram slots that you may believe it is inserted properly when it is not. Look closely, and be very careful when applying pressure.

Retired
Not applicable
*specifically when the board is new*

Raja
Level 13
Guys, we are looking into this. I need full parts lists from all of you please.

-Raja

Greetings!

I am new to the forums, and i have similar issue like the others. I built a new computer, all parts are new, came out of the box. When i assembled it, the CPU and VGA LED lights on, fans spin up, but nothing appears on the screen. Tried with 1 stick, i put the cpu and the vga in and out again, reseted CMOS even (tho i never got into the bios). Also tried the GO button, got the same thing, but now the DRAM LED started blinking also. I have the following parts:

Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD 955 BE
CPU cooler: stock
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-RAM 8GB PC3-12800 Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) (2x4GB)
PSU: Corsair 850TXV2EU
VGA: HIS Radeon HD 6870 ICEQ