Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Asus Maximus V formula / ThunderXF can't overclock

I purchase a open box Asus Maximus V formula / ThunderXF motherboard yesterday, sold my MVF to a friend, and brought this one for $10 more then my MVF (note this is my second MVF board, the first one works like a charm.) Same day mb swap out.

So put everything back together, computer won't turn on. The red light under the go button was blinking, with a few search, turns out the wifi/bluebooth L bracket was shorting out. (I never had that problem with my last MVF board). So I took out the L bracket and everything went fine, got it boot into windows and such.

Now I try to overclock my cpu by following the overclock guide on this forum. I first load the gamer' OC profile. Saved then exit. Manage to get to the windows loading screen, then POOF, restarted. It just can't get into windows, it will just restart over and over again. I had no problem with my last MVF board. I end putting back the setting auto, or else it won't be able to boot into windows.

Then I try to run the onboard HDMII display along with my HD7970, it was displaying at like 16bits color with the 320x xxx resolution. I have the correct driver installed, but when I went into device manager, it stated that the device it wasn't working properly because of not enough resource or something like that. (Again it was working fine with my last board.)

So I went back into bios to see the status of the igpu, it was displaying running at 320Mhz? I remember my last board it was running at 3500Mhz. There's an option that I can tweak to run it at the max, but I can't change the value without playing with the OC option. which as I stated, I can't get windows booted other than everything at AUTO.

I really don't know what to do, I could RMA it i guess but I don't want to find out that the board was damaged by improper use by the last owner, and won't be able to warranty it.

I can bring it back to the store, but this was the last MVF/thunderXF board they had. :\

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Please flash the BIOS to the same version BIOS you are familiar with.

Could I ask a stupid question here, why did you buy a board that you already owned? For the ThunderXF part?
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Hahahah well like I said, I only paid $10 dollar on top more for the thunder XF :P So yea, plus 3 years warranty again~ MVF is a great board I would get it again XD

Im already running the latest 1707 bios

I think the HDMI port might be fk up, it froze my computer when I try to run games with it. I'll upload few pic in a bit.

Turns out the bluetooth module don't seem to be working either. Wifi is fine, just the bluetooth can't discover my nexus at all.

- If I enable the multi monitor with IGPU as main, it froze my game and perform like ****.

- If I enable the multi monitor with 7970 as main, zero problem but it doesn't detect the IGPU.

So I can only manage to run either one of them, but not both as the same time. Which I did manage to do it with my last board.

This is what happen when I have the primary GPU set to IGPU. No problem if I take out the HD7970 with just the HDMI display. It will display at 1080p, but not sure if it will crash when I game.

Last edited by hinouchie; 05-31-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Hmm not good that, but the obvious solution is to RMA....
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Hmm not good that, but the obvious solution is to RMA....
    If they decided to replace the board, it won't have 3 years warranty on it right?

How do I go on with the RMA? I have done it with my laptop few years ago with carry in, could I do that with the motherboard too?

ROG Member Array

I was using the same windows installation, since it's the same board swap out.

but I did reinstall windows after, same exact problems.

System runs fine, with auto setting, and running the HD7970 only. Zero problems. So i don't think it's cause by other parts, like ram and hdd or whatever.

and few of the USB port doesn't seem to be working either. 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USb 2.0 not detecting device.
    Last edited by hinouchie; 05-31-2013 at 07:43 PM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

Can you please list your other system components, especially the CPU and PSU?
    I would not recommend using the gamer OC profile as the final judge on system stability.
    Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
    ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
    Corsair H115i Pro XT
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 3200MHz CL14 2x16GB
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FWT3 Ultra
    Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

ROG Member Array

Like I said the system runs fine with auto setting, and running the HD7970 only. Zero problems~ So it's stable, I can games, I can bench it, I can do anything with it.

CPU - Intel i7 3770K
    CPU cooler - Antec Kuhler H20 620
    MOBO - Asus Maximus V Formula/thunderFX
    Ram- Viper Patriot 16gb DDR3 1866Mhz
    GPU- Sapphire HD7970
    PS- OCZ ZX 1250w

Bottom line is your system is stable and working at defaults.
    Your system is not working once you change any settings in BIOS. If that is correct you should reflash your bios using the BIOS flashback method. Download the bios again, it may be corrupted when you first downloaded it.

Give your board a good clear CMOS with no power attached let it stand for an hour or so and then connect power cables and flash bios using flash back method.

If that does not sort your issue then RMA the board as it should allow you to OC it or at least change some of the settings. I guess that is why it was returned in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast