cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VX won't shut down

ClepticNova
Level 7
hi guys i'm just wondring if any of you have experienced this:
after using my VX for some hours i tried to use the optimize disk feature on windows 8 and somehow when that was finished i wanted to shut down my laptop but it just won't shutdown nor restart. i managed to turn it off holding down the power button and i boot up on safe mode but i can't find the problem so i restarted the laptop and it responded but when it booted up still the same problem it won't shut down. i could use some help guys thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

dstrakele
Level 14
Try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to the time before you ran the disk optimizer.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

thanks mate. i restored to the day before restore point and still the same, i found a work around though i reinstalled nvidia drivers and it worked . the three options (shutdown,sleep,restart) are now functional but the downside is i kinda think my main hardrive is getting slower than before. it boots up slower than before.

rewben
Level 13
@ClepticNova, you should be able to investigate the causes from the event viewer (under applications and services logs > microsoft > windows > diagnostics - performance).

dstrakele wrote:
That may only mean your assumption of the cause may be incorrect. Try earlier Restore Points. You can always UNDO them if they fall to change behavior.

ive restored to a much earlier restore point and all is back to normal.thanks a lot mate. i noticed that boot time is pretty much the same as before. i wonder if that disk optimization option is generally helpful?

rewben wrote:
@ClepticNova, you should be able to investigate the causes from the event viewer (under applications and services logs > microsoft > windows > diagnostics - performance).

i checked everything on it rewben and it seems like every boot up there is a warning or error event 19325
is this normal or what?

dstrakele
Level 14
ClepticNova wrote:
i restored to the day before restore point and still the same...

That may only mean your assumption of the cause may be incorrect. Try earlier Restore Points. You can always UNDO them if they fall to change behavior.

It may also be possible the disk "optimization" turned out to be less than optimum....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

rewben
Level 13
yeah don't worry, it's normal; as you can see in the log, there are a number of entries that might tell you about what is slowing your laptop down during boot/shutdown. you can try to check out each of them and find out which ones you can disable safely. if you're unsure, you can google the apps/services in question for more information.

thanks a lot mate. good thing it's back to normal