cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula: Can't change BCLK no matter what!

5150_Joker
Level 7
Am I doing something wrong here? I set it to XMP and then change the BCLK and then save. In the bios it shows the change but as soon as I hit Windows, its back at 100 BCLK rather than what I set it at. I also have BCLK protection turned off. Is my motherboard defective or am I missing something?

Here's some screenshots:

11 REPLIES 11

No, should it even be needed?

NemesisChild
Level 12
No, do not install Al Suite.
What bios version did you upgrade from?
You could have residual memory left over from a previous bios in your chip.
Did you clear the CMOS? Try removing the mobo battery for about 20 min.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

ph4ntom
Level 7
what bios ver. u'r using ?? had similar problem, no matter what i did in BIOS with BCLK it was stuck. WIN7 was showing 99.8 and the AI Suite was showing BCLK at 0.
after a week or 2 my bios crashed. bios ver. was 1604
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25295-Bus-Speed

Zka17
Level 16
Joker, why do you want to change the BCLK if you already setup the XMP?!

Changing BCLK will change your RAM frequency too... - perhaps that's why is switching back to 100 if you choose the XMP settings...

5150_Joker
Level 7
The bios I upgraded from was 1604. @Zk17 yes I'm aware it changes memory frequency but the ram can easily handle it. It should not switch back to 100 because BCLK recovery is disabled. When I get home I'll try pulling the battery and see if it makes a difference, so far this is extremely frustrating. Another issue I have with the board is sometimes it doesn't save the settings in bios and I have to clear the CMOS and then put them in.

Zka17
Level 16
It is switching back because XMP settings are meaning that BCLK=100...

I can assure you that your RAM will not handle it... 🙂 You set XMP, which means 2133MHz, CL10 on 1.52DRAM Voltage, then you raise BCLK to 105 resulting the the speed to go up to 2239MHz without changing the voltage - and you expect it to work?! It won't...

Set the Ai Tuner to Manual if you want to play around with BCLK...

But most importantly, read some guides about OC'ing that platform, like this one: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19186-ASUS-ROG-Maximus-V-Formula-UEFI-OC-Tuning-Guide&count...

Zka17 wrote:
It is switching back because XMP settings are meaning that BCLK=100...

I can assure you that your RAM will not handle it... 🙂 You set XMP, which means 2133MHz, CL10 on 1.52DRAM Voltage, then you raise BCLK to 105 resulting the the speed to go up to 2239MHz without changing the voltage - and you expect it to work?! It won't...

Set the Ai Tuner to Manual if you want to play around with BCLK...

But most importantly, read some guides about OC'ing that platform, like this one: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19186-ASUS-ROG-Maximus-V-Formula-UEFI-OC-Tuning-Guide&count...

It's 2133 MHz memory rated at 1.5v. It can easily handle 100 MHz bump. In the manual it lists no issues with changing bclk with xmp set, I think you should recheck your own info. Even without xmp set the board behaves in the same manner. I shouldn't need software to change bclk, the bios should hold those changes.

NemesisChild
Level 12
There's minimal performance gain by overclocking memory.
In my many years of overclocking experience, it's not worth the hassle.
Bios settings not being saved is a known issue with previous, more recent bios versions.
It has not been officially confirmed that 1707 has fixed this issue, but it looks promising.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601