cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus HD7970 DC2 Overclocking Issue

wogstaa
Level 7
Hi guys,

This is my first post here, I have finally built myself a gaming PC, which I've been wanting to do for years.

I built it a few weeks ago here's what I'm running:
Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene Case
Thermaltake EVO Blue 750w PSU
Asus Maximus V Gene Motherboard
2TB WD Black Hard Drive
i7 3770k CPU
Asus HD7970 DC2 3GB GPU

It's stable for gaming and my daily use, I haven't really had any issues with crashes out of the norm.

I've been trying to overclock my GPU slightly, basically I've upped the core to 1000Mhz and the RAM to 5600Mhz and I'd like to leave it there as it's stable during gaming and benchmark tests etc.

My issue is, with any overclock as soon as I open a flash video in any web browser this happens on my primary display

My secondary display still shows fine and the PC still seems like it's funcitoning. Hardware acceleration is switched on in Flash, I never have any problems unless I overclock, even slightly. As a note, LucidLogix VirtuMVP is also switched off.

Any insight into solutions or what's causing this will be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm have you tried running only that display and repeating the experiment....i.e. is it an issue with that monitor or maybe with the dual display and driver etc.

Zka17
Level 16
Have you adjusted the voltages too or just the frequencies?

wogstaa
Level 7
I haven't tried running one monitor yet, I'll give that a shot and report back. Though, if I unplug my main display the issue then appears on the second display until I plug the primary one back in.

I've only increased the frequencies, I can't change the voltage but from what I've read it should run fine slightly overclocked at stock voltages.

Thanks

Zka17
Level 16
"it should run fine slightly overclocked at stock voltages" - well, every piece of hardware is different...

Why you can not change the voltages?!

oldbrave
Level 9
He can't adjust the voltage because for all practicality, all of ASUS's 7970's are voltage locked. 😞
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

oldbrave wrote:
He can't adjust the voltage because for all practicality, all of ASUS's 7970's are voltage locked. 😞

Hm... I didn't know that... - so, what is the max voltage they can go?

And, what application are you using for OCing the graphic card(s)?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I guess the stupid question needs to be asked. Have you updated your flash plug in yet?

And does the problem remain if your card is at stock?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

wogstaa
Level 7
I'm just using the Catalyst Control Centre at the moment, but I've tried using Asus GPU tweak and Sapphire TRIXX, same results though.

The issue doesn't happen when the clocks are stock, the thing is, I've played games for hours with the overclock and run benchmarks with no issues at all.

I haven't had a chance to try with just one monitor plugged in yet, I should get around to some more testing on the weekend.

wogstaa
Level 7
So I've just uninstalled my antivirus (AVG Free) because it was supposedly causing issues with iTunes and my flash issue seems to be gone now.

I'll run it with the overclock for now and see if it pops up again.

Thanks for the help

EDIT: looks like I spoke too soon, as soon as I posted, I went over to YouTube and it happened again. I've also updated flash as of last night.

EDIT 2:
From the looks of it, it seems as it's got something to do with the second monitor being plugged in.
It runs perfectly fine overclocked without the 2nd monitor, any ideas on how to solve it?

Thanks