Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array Preacher's Avatar

Regretting buying the MVF [solved]

I am starting to regret paying good money for this board, when I got it I automatically flashed to the 1604 BIOS, which as I now know has problems for the majority of users, myself included. I then went to the 1408 BIOS which was stable apart from booting into windows boot manager which gave me the option of which system to install, as I only have 1 HDD with windows 7 on it my choice is windows 7 or windows 7. Pressing OK started windows 7 but then I had to go through the whole process of restarting and hoping to get into the BIOS without windows boot manager starting again, if I press escape this saves me having to through the whole waiting for windows to load before I can restart to try and get into my BIOS, when I finally get into the BIOS it acts like the 1604 BIOS and resets my BIOS settings.

My gaming is still rubbish with judder on the games I play, BF3 being the worst, virtually unplayable. I have tried my old monitor, old graphics card, on board sound, creative card, different router, old mouse, so 3 things are left, the CPU, memory and Motherboard.

Today I flashed back to 701 BIOS to see if this fixed my gaming (it didn't), and again windows boot manager returned, if I leave my computer and it goes to sleep, when I wake it up I have no monitor so have to do a hard reset. I have the BIOS settings exactly the same as when I had the 1408 BIOS but now when I set my vcore at 1.18v, instead of showing a constant voltage in CPUz, it fluctuates between 1.12 and 1.29, which gives me temperatures of 68 c instead of 58 c while trying to play BF3.

So after less than 3 months of owning this board here's hoping the new BIOS fixes these problems, if not I can see this board going in the bin. The reason it will go in the bin is because if I return it as faulty I will probably get a refurbished board and after 4 faulty refurbished 560 ti cards from MSI I was without a computer for nearly 3 months and I am not going through that again.
    Last edited by Preacher; 03-28-2013 at 08:54 PM.

ROG AirWays Captain Array TenBlade's Avatar

Never flash BIOS unless you experience issues that warrant a BIOS flash. Things can, and may have gone wrong during the procedure(-s).
    Just to be certain, did you at any point clear CMOS?

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array nikosa43's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I am starting to regret paying good money for this board, when I got it I automatically flashed to the 1604 BIOS, which as I now know has problems for the majority of users, myself included. I then went to the 1408 BIOS which was stable apart from booting into windows boot manager which gave me the option of which system to install, as I only have 1 HDD with windows 7 on it my choice was windows 7 or windows 7. Pressing OK started windows 7 but then I had to go through the whole process of restarting and hoping to get into the BIOS without windows boot manager starting again, if I press escape which restarts my computer again this gives me the option of pressing escape again without having to through the whole waiting for windows to load before I can restart to try and get into my BIOS, when I finally get into the BIOS it acts like the 1604 BIOS and resets my BIOS settings. My gaming is still rubbish with judder on the games I play, BF3 being the worst virtually unplayable.Today I flashed back to 701 BIOS to see if this fixed my gaming (it didn't), and again windows boot manager returned, if I leave my computer and it goes to sleep, when I wake it up I have no monitor so have to do a hard reset. I have the BIOS settings exactly the same as when I had the 1408 BIOS but now when I set my vcore at 1.18v, instead of showing a constant voltage in CPUz, it fluctuates between 1.12 and 1.29, which gives me temperatures of 68 c instead of 58 c while trying to play BF3. Here's hoping the new BIOS fixes these problems, if not I can see this board going in the bin. The reason it will go in the bin is because if I return it as faulty I will probably get a refurbished board and after 4 faulty refurbished 560 ti cards from MSI I was without a computer for nearly 3 months and I am not going through that again.
    Hey Preacher, cheer up, fill it up with positive energy and be ready to fight. BF3 is a game. Here is real life and most of the times the worst battlefield. Never give up and we will help you frag . The motherboard you have is an excellent piece of hardware but it's made by people. There was some drawbacks but for now on I think all the major problems have been resolved. I tested the new BIOS revision all night and I am very optimistic for the future.So, please post all your components, which win edition you have to install and I (and others I bet), we will help you shoot everybody down on BF3.

TenBlade, I turn the computer off, clear the cmos with the button at the back, plug in my FAT 32 usb drive, go into BIOS, press F5, then flash the BIOS. My mobo came with the 0402 BIOS so to use ROG exchange I had to go to a newer BIOS, after I flashed to 1604 I had problems with saving settings so after reading all the problems with 1604 I went to 1408. So I guess I was experiencing problems that warranted a BIOS flash.
    The only one that wasn't warranted was todays one going to 701, but you live and learn. I don't want to flash it again to 1408 to get my voltage back to constant so I will have to wait until the new BIOS is live on the ASUS site.

nikosa43, win7 ultimate, 3770K, corsair vengeance 1600, creative pcie x.fi extreme audio, seagate barracuda 500 gb sata 2, benq 2411T, belkin 2401 router, razer deathadder 3.5, Saitek eclipse 2, 2 gig 660 ti FTW sig2.

As I have said before mate, the people on this forum are first class, everybody willing to help and offer advice, it is a great forum.

I replaced a rampage formula and Q9450 which served me for nearly 5 years with this board and the rampage formula was 100%, never skipped a beat.
    Last edited by Preacher; 04-07-2013 at 12:10 PM.

ROG AirWays Captain Array TenBlade's Avatar

Don't know if it makes a difference, but clearing CMOS by removing the battery for five minutes comes recommended in a number of posts here.
    Good luck, P.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

Preacher, I feel your pain, but hang in there, help is on the way.
    I realize you will lose ROG connect, but have you tried bios 0804?
    0804 has been the most reliable & stable version that I've tested to date.
    Didn't see it listed, what PSU are you using?
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

Sorry mate, I always forget to list something, its an Antec Earthwatts 650 with 2 x 38 amp rails.

If the new BIOS doesn't help, then the only thing left is to put together my old rampage formula.

I did have a 580GTX lightning which was eventually given to me by MSI for all the faulty 560 ti's, I sold the 580 to buy a 660 ti with PCIe 3.0 to match this board hoping that would solve the problem I am having with gaming, but it didn't.
    Last edited by Preacher; 03-28-2013 at 10:26 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array red454 PC Specs
    red454 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme BIOS 3801
    Processor5820K
    Memory (part number)32GB - G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    MonitorDual 23"
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Nepton 280L
    CaseThermaltake Core X9
    Power SupplyDARK POWER PRO 11 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech G19S
    Mouse Logitech G600
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Network RouterLinksys EA9500
    Accessory #1 FreeNAS Server with 8TB

I see rumblings of a 1707 BIOS on another ROG thread from yesterday... It is a bit confusing that it is not yet on the ASUS site.
    ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 3801 | i7-5820K | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

I would just like to add I have been using computers for 19 years and building them for 15 years and this is the first motherboard I have had that has given me problems.
    Intel i7 3770K@ 4.5GHz,
    Silverstone Heligon HE01
    ASUS Maximus V Formula, 1803 BIOS
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 @ 1866MHz, 9-10-9-27
    MSI GTX 970
    Samsung 250GB SSD
    Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
    Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU
    NZXT Phantom 630
    Win 8 Pro x64

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by red454 View Post
    I see rumblings of a 1707 BIOS on another ROG thread from yesterday... It is a bit confusing that it is not yet on the ASUS site.
    I think it was Raja who'd said it was posted up on a Mediafire account to make it available as quickly as possible for everyone, something about red tape lol and since it was posted and linked to by Shamino, it's a legit BIOS for MV owners

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast