Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

About To RMA Motherboard. Any Advice?

Besides taking thorough photos of my board? One of the traces below the PCIe slot 2 is burned. It's not black or anything, just slightly melted. The system simply refused to detect the graphics card a few days ago. I don't overclock and I've been using this exact same configuration and components for over a year with my Maximus IV Extreme. The only difference now is the Matrix 7970 instead of the HD 6950 and a Maximus V Extreme. My biggest fear is going through a horror story like this, especially with a $400 motherboard.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Under 'quick links' you will find 'forum leaders' .. look down the top of the list for those with
    the 'cl-' before their name .. 'customer loyalty' .. and send them a 'pm' -- [private messege]
    to see if they have any suggestion or can be Any help @ all.
    And .. you may want to pm MarshallR-the Admin -- to see if he can point you in the
    right direction.
    best of luck .. Please -- keep us posted on your progress with this.c.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Keep us posted how it proceeds please.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'm going to hold out on the RMA until I can purchase a secondary board to use while this one is out, which probably won't be for another 3 weeks. Probably a Maximus V Gene so I can build a portable mini-ATX providing I receive a replacement board. I did a check on my PSU, RAM, and graphics card to see if there was anything damage or defective and they appear to be fine. I just don't know how this could've happened. I've been building my own PC's for 13yrs and I've never had to do a motherboard RMA. I did have a BIOS chip fail on my P8P67 which was covered by the store warranty. I hate RMA's especially after my last one with Thermaltake. I received a replacement Water 2.0 Extreme opened and damaged with missing parts. Probably a boarder issue because it was repackaged with UPS material. My complaints to Thermaltake went unanswered and I was out $130. After that I sold off my Thermaltake products. Hopefully this RMA will go without incident.

I called Asus support just to see if I'd be wasting my time and the guy told me straight that my problem is NOT covered. So I guess if I had a Asus motherboard with a defective capacitor and it ruptured, I would not be covered because it would be physical damage. I'm going to return my Matrix 7970 before the store warranty expires in case I have to switch motherboard brands. I'll send the board out but if I get that $120 response, then I am done with Asus, and I won't have to worry about selling the 7970 on ebay.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Please ignore that fool on the phone. He is reading from a script. Seriously. What he is looking at is if you as a user have damaged the board. And some users think it is the boards fault after they have taken a screwdriver to the pcb trying to pick up a fallen screw and short out a couple of components, or even scrape or gouge holes into the PCB. Since you did not physically damage the board that is not applicable here. Please pm this bloke he will help you out.

cl-Albert

And again keep me informed.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

The thing is I might be blamed for incorrectly installing something (according to the RMA form) even though I know what I'm doing. All the fans I have connected to the board are Corsair SP and AP series. Each fan is connected to their own port. The PSU is a Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W and it's a year old. There is not one thing I connected wrong and I always remove the power cable from the PSU when making alterations in the case. The Matrix was tested for two days straight at the store I bought it because my other card was flaky. I took HD pics of my board and double checked for anything that may have broken off. This board has been working for over a month until last week. The 7970 was the last thing I installed which was a day after the board. Ugh!

I still have to wait until I can get a temp board as down time is costly for me. I'll pm Albert for now and hope. Not much else I can do that doesn't involve something illegal.

Doesn't look good for my motherboard. They're going to attempt to repair the board which is not acceptable for me considering that it would involve milling. Waiting to see what cl-Albert says about this.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Please ignore that fool on the phone. He is reading from a script. Seriously. What he is looking at is if you as a user have damaged the board. And some users think it is the boards fault after they have taken a screwdriver to the pcb trying to pick up a fallen screw and short out a couple of components, or even scrape or gouge holes into the PCB. Since you did not physically damage the board that is not applicable here. Please pm this bloke he will help you out.

cl-Albert

And again keep me informed.
    ++Viz.
    Please Snap-Trap .. do as HiViz suggests .. ignore that 'fool' .. PM @cl-Albert straight away ..
    I will also forward this thread to him .. this isnt how things are done @ ROG .. the 'guy' also known
    as 'fool' on the phone seems to be the last to hear.
    Get eyes on this. And some folk that actually give a draft about your joy.c.

I am in contact with cl-Albert but he won't have a response from Asus Canada until tomorrow. The sooner I get the board back the better. I'm already peeved at Purolator Courier for taking almost 2 weeks to get it from Edmonton Alberta to Markham Ontario.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast