Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zka17 View Post
    LOL, I'm following a simple rule... - populate ALL power connectors on the mobo...

It won't be more power draw then the necessary, but the draw will be more balanced across the connectors... definitely won't hurt anything...
    i have seen this theory all over the net while doing some searching. i cant say i disagree in any way, but its more of an opinion then anything else. i would like to see some actual guidelines on when the plug is 100% necessary and what kind of issue can be ran into or fixed by not using or using the plug.

plus filling all power connectors is not always possible (i can not fill the additional 4 pin cpu power plug with my current psi). just an example

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsarver View Post
    thanks nikosa. ill go ahead and run another 3 port molex ribbon to the ez plug and just leave the other two plugs empty.

for clarification for anyone who stumbles across this thread, are there any guidelines officially on when using the ez plug is a must? seems to be a lot of confusion of if and when its necessary and issues a system would present with when its left unplugged.
    There is something in the user manual. Not that it is much help really to be honest, but on page 1- 22 it does state that you should ensure that you provide sufficient power for Crossfire and SLi so I guess it does sort of say use all the connectors.

I do populate the connector when running multi cards.

It is easy enough to try I guess, did it make any difference to your system stability?
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

OK, let me try in more detail... You have the Asus Maximus V Formula, right?

That board has in total 4 power connectors:
    1. 24-pin EATXPWR on the right edge, near the DIMM slots - it's a must to connect these one, no matter what... it's the main power supply connector to the mobo...
    2. 8-pin EATX12V_1 - it is also required to connect, supplies power to the CPU
    3. 4-pin EATX12V_2 - additional power supply to the CPU... When to use it? There is no specific rule for it, but in general it's suggested when the CPU requires more power - usually when you're OC'ing... As I said before, more connectors means more balanced power draw... the same amount of juice is drawn anyway, just through more connectors - gives you extra safety...
    4. 4-pin EZ_Plug - is additional power to the PCIe lanes, most often graphics cards... in the manual says to use it when "two or more high end PCIe 16X cards"...

Now, what happens when you don't have enough power/you haven't connected all necessary power connectors?
    With the first two, the 24-pin and the 8-pin it's clear... - your system won't start...
    If you don't connect the 4-pin CPU power, but you start OC'ing, then you may experience instability of your system, it may not even boot if the voltage is set too high... in extreme conditions (voltages) you may overheat the 8-pin connector, which may cause terrible things...
    With the EZ_Plug not connected, your SLI/CF setup may became unstable, resulting in graphics crashing... this also happens when you start OC'ing...

In case your PSU doesn't have all the necessary connectors, you always can get some extension/converting cables...

im def gonna try it! i work 24 hrs so im getting home this am and will start the process. its going to require me to disassemble first due to the tight fit of my build. ill post back with what i find. hoping this alows me to keep my current clocks with added stability!

thanks guys!

thanks zka for the detail. the last paragraph was what i was really looking for. this has helped me and will probably help others searching for answers with this question!

well 4 pin molex and 4 pin cpu plugs are in. the molex connector is a ***** to get to. the mixture of a down facing molex and the height of my psu made me have to trim part of the plastic away from the molex and wrap each wire with electrical tape to prevent any contact where the plastic used to protect. basically created my own low profile molex. doing this is the only way to fit the psu in without snapping off the connection, but i can see that there is still some stress applied to the connector (any issue with doing this??)

everything powers up nicely and no issues so far. using corsair link i did notice that with my over clocks applied im using over 100 additional watts compared to stock at full stress test load. plugging the additional connections in has to help distribute that nicer i would imagine.

i have not lowered my clocks so now its time to see if my occasional crashes persist. only time will tell thanks everyone for your help!

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

This thread has got me all fired up about the 4-pin EZ plug for the PCIe lanes.
    jsarver, I also have the clearance dilemna, so I never bothered installing it.
    However, I did locate two different right angle 4-pin molex cable extensions on the web.
    Being the sucker than I am, I bought both and should have them by early next week.
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisChild View Post
    This thread has got me all fired up about the 4-pin EZ plug for the PCIe lanes.
    jsarver, I also have the clearance dilemna, so I never bothered installing it.
    However, I did locate two different right angle 4-pin molex cable extensions on the web.
    Being the sucker than I am, I bought both and should have them by early next week.
    link? i found true low profile molex connectors at frozencpu.com and they are only 99 cents but they arent right angle. the other issue and what is causing most of the stress on the connection is the fact that there is no room between motherboard mounting wall of case and the psu for the wires to tuck behind. i have to pretty much smash the wires between to two for the psu mounting holes to line up which is causing the plug to flex.

not a fan of the "ez plug" placement/orientation at all. its not very ez

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Be careful, do not allow too much pressure on the mobo side...

Quote Originally Posted by Zka17 View Post
    Be careful, do not allow too much pressure on the mobo side...
    with the current amount of pressure on the plug/mb and with everything seemingly working fine am i in the clear? do i need to
    worry about issues down the road if the pressure stays constant?

im more then willing to rip it out and try a different fitment to reduce cable and connector strain, but at the moment i dont see
    any other way to make this fit!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast