cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSi R7990 Lightning GPU Issue

funnybiscuit
Level 9
Hey guys!
About 2 months ago, i built my own first computer. Everything is fine except for the graphics card. Firstly it seems to be too big for the case (Zalman Z11 Plus Mid-tower) and secondly, it doesn't fit 100%. Meaning maybe a bit more than half of the graphics card is actually inside the PCI-E Slot whilst the rest isn't actually inside the pci-e slot.
What seems to be the issue i can't really say but i think that the bottom of the graphics card (x) is touching the side of the case hence making it unable to go further into the slot or something like that.

Now, call me an idiot for still running the computer without having it fixed yet, but it's been working good. Been having some "driver stopped working" issue which seems to be a normal but in my case could be due the gpu. I've been thinking to change the case to a full tower which i'm ready to do, if it's the only way.

Games that stop working:
Black Ops 2 (Also some pixelated issues, i could try to post)
Dead Island (Stops working after i do a certain side quest)

But yeah, my question is how do i do to fix? Loosen the mobo a little bit maybe to make it fit completely maybe?
I'll post pictures of how it is if needed.

Thank you!!

AkaJuu
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600MHz RAM
MSi Radeon HD 7970 3GB Lightning Series GPU
Samsung 840 Series120GB SSD
Zalman Z11 Plus MidTower Case
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 REPLIES 20

Chino
Level 15
The first step to correcting the issues you're experiencing is to make sure your HD7990 is installed in optimal conditions. That means that it should be properly seated in the PCIe slot to ensure that all the contacts are inserted. You shouldn't be straining the card or having to force anything into the slot. The installation should be as simple as inserting it in and hearing the click. I'd definately get a more appropriate case to accomodate that monster. 😛

Zka17
Level 16
Yeah, inserting the card into the PCIe slot should not be to difficult...

funnybiscuit, could you post some pics with details about how exactly that card is seated there?

Chino wrote:
The first step to correcting the issues you're experiencing is to make sure your HD7990 is installed in optimal conditions. That means that it should be properly seated in the PCIe slot to ensure that all the contacts are inserted. You shouldn't be straining the card or having to force anything into the slot. The installation should be as simple as inserting it in and hearing the click. I'd definately get a more appropriate case to accomodate that monster. 😛

Yeah exactly, it's not properly installed 😛
and i should correct myself, it's the HD7970 not the HD7990 my bad x)
but yeah, i tried to force the gpu into the slot but it still didn't fit so i try further cuz i didn't want to damage anything.

Zka17 wrote:
Yeah, inserting the card into the PCIe slot should not be to difficult...

funnybiscuit, could you post some pics with details about how exactly that card is seated there?

Yeah i got some pics, but it's difficult to see. I hope you guys can understand what's going on 😛

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zka17
Level 16
Hm... on the back of the case, where the Lightning has it's connectors (the video output ones), does that metallic thing completely fit to the case?

Where I put the green arrow, do you have a space or the card completely attaches to the case?

Zka17 wrote:
Hm... on the back of the case, where the Lightning has it's connectors (the video output ones), does that metallic thing completely fit to the case?

Where I put the green arrow, do you have a space or the card completely attaches to the case?

Yup! which i think is the reason why it won't go further into the slot

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU

Zka17
Level 16
OK, then... that metallic plate on the back of the Lightning is hold there by some screws... - you could try to remove it... but then the card will became very unstable in the slot...

On the mobo side, that metallic part suppose to go between the back of the case and the mobo... - check if it has it's place there...

Zka17 wrote:
OK, then... that metallic plate on the back of the Lightning is hold there by some screws... - you could try to remove it... but then the card will became very unstable in the slot...

On the mobo side, that metallic part suppose to go between the back of the case and the mobo... - check if it has it's place there...

I installed it first without any screws and try to fit it in but didn't work. And since metal side of the gpu is blocked by the case, i can't try to fit the gpu between the case and mobo.
I guess i'll have to get a new full-tower case? (currently midtower)

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your cooler is preventing the card from seating properly.

Post a photo of your board with the cooler and the card in the middle of the image - stand about 60cm from your motherboard when you take the shot.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Menthol
Level 14
Depending on what Motherboard, CPU Cooler, Ram, the GPU reactor may be hitting something and not allowing the card to fully seat. Please provide the picture HiVizMan is requesting. I have had to remove the cover that is over the reactor card to get a 680 Lightning to clear my Corsair Dominator Ram on my RIVE. The Reactor card cleared but not thee round plastic cover. The Reactor serves no purpose unless you are overclocking the GPU to extremes and can safely be removed and saved if need be.