cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Custom Loop - some MVF specific questions

johndamon
Level 8
Hey guys, hope your all well! I am about to begin installing my very first custom Loop, and while I have done more hours of research than I care to count (and for which I am told I owe my girlfriend many hours of double dates, family visits, and other nightmarish endeavors) :eek: I have yet to find answers to a couple of pretty basic questions. Any help or advice is most welcome, and I am grateful for your time, thanks!

Q1: I am going to be using the EK H30 360 HFX Kit http://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits-cases/kits/ek-kit-h3o-360-hfx.htmlin my HAF - X Case. Does anyone have any advice or warnings about this particular pairing?

Q2: The Tubing that came with the Kit is... well it looks to my nooby eyes like it is kinda short. I am wondering how much of a cushion I have in case of mistakes etc.

Q3: I would like to take advantage of the MVF built in Thermo thingy, even though I don't believe that the MOBO really requires the extra cooling. Its just that its... welll... Cool! So as a follow up to question 2: Do I have enough tubing to do my CPU and the Board? And will doing so be within the capacity of the EK Kit to cool? IOW Can the pump handle it, does my Res allow for it, etc?

Okay these are the questions for which I have found no definitive answers, I's really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks guys!
i7 3770K @ 5.0GHz DeLid 1.44v | Maximus V FormulaTFX BIOS 1803 | 16GB G. Skill Trident X 2666 LB5 1.65v | AX1200i | 2xGB HD7970OC 1050/1410 MOD BIOS 13.8 BETA CF | 840 Pro 256GB SSD |2x840 Pro 128GB SSD | 2xWDC 2 TB | Corsair 900D | Windows 7 64Bit HP | EK Supremacy Cu | EK CoolStream XTX 360 | EK DCP 4.0 | EK MO X3 150 | Panasonic 46" + Pan 42"x2 1080p LED LCD | APC Back UPS 1500/865| APC Voltage Regulator
11 REPLIES 11

kkn
Level 14
draw up a drawing and how you will place the parts.
take rough meshurements before cutting so you will be shure you have enough tubings.
the NB barbs is 10mm ( so tube have to be 10mm ID and 13mm OD ) use zip ties to secure the tubing to the barbs on the NB ( fusion termo ) if you have.
have inlet and outlet on bottom of the res and use the top to fill up, that way you will not get air in the system after you have bled it ( have out all the air ).
mabye have a lill extra tubing in and out of the rad so you can pull it out and get out all the air? ( just a sugestion ).
have the in/outlet in the back ( would be a tight fit if you have it in the bay direction ).
fant, have them on the inside or the outside ( top of the case under the shroud ) depending on the space and clarence inside from rad/fan to mobo and cables.
if your gona use the mpcie BT/wifi card i recomend seting it together BEFORE mounting the mobo inside the case.
i think i had around 50cm left out of 3meters of tubing when i did my loop, and i had a bit more tubing to be used in mine to connect 2 rads and so on.
just plan it, draw it, meshure before cutting enny tubing at all so you dont end up having to buy more.
if you have enny batterywater ( non acid ) flush the radiator to get out smal particles or dirt so it dont clogg up the jet plates in the CPU block or destroy the impeller inside the pump.

johndamon
Level 8
Hey kkn, thank you for the inside info! I actually have a fully operational Rig, I'm just upgrading from a H100i to my new EK Kit. You gave me a lot of great advice which I think will save me from learning these things the hard way. If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain a little further... You mentioned using zip ties, did you mean that I should use these as a temporary means of securing things while I test and measure out my plans? Or are you advising me to use zip ties instead of the Compression fittings that came with my EK Kit? I ask only because I have noticed a divide among Watercooling enthusiasts about which type of connection is best. I'm sure I'm going to have many more questions, but right now the two big ones I am dealing with are:

1: I want to use the EK Kit to cool my CPU and the Thermo Fusion on the MOBO. Do I still setup a single Loop? IOW - Pump -> RAD -> CPU Block -> Thermofusion -> Back to Pump? Or do I have to setup a second loop? I mean, I assume that mt kit with it's 360 RAD etc. has the cooling capacity to handle both. But I don't know if I have enough tubing.
2: I do not yet have a Silver Kill Coil, and the goofs at the local stores just gave me the huh? look when I asked if they carried them. So until I am able to get one delivered, can I get by just using this Primochill PC ICE I ordered? I know that a lot of the Gurus online say that one should only use pure distilled water. But If I do that without a Kill Coil...

Once again kkn, I am grateful for the help! If anybody can help me out with these questions, then I can go get my feet wet! :cool:
i7 3770K @ 5.0GHz DeLid 1.44v | Maximus V FormulaTFX BIOS 1803 | 16GB G. Skill Trident X 2666 LB5 1.65v | AX1200i | 2xGB HD7970OC 1050/1410 MOD BIOS 13.8 BETA CF | 840 Pro 256GB SSD |2x840 Pro 128GB SSD | 2xWDC 2 TB | Corsair 900D | Windows 7 64Bit HP | EK Supremacy Cu | EK CoolStream XTX 360 | EK DCP 4.0 | EK MO X3 150 | Panasonic 46" + Pan 42"x2 1080p LED LCD | APC Back UPS 1500/865| APC Voltage Regulator

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
From the little I understand, Compression fittings are the best thing you can use...that way you don't have to use zip-ties...but, it takes a fair effort to lock in the compression fittings...meaning your fingers will end up pretty sore after a couple are done lol. As to your loop, you should have no problems with temps if you keep it as you wanted to do so. If you're really that worried about the tubing...buy some more, it's really that simple. Apparently in the cooling world, you always need to order more than what you actually need, why? I have yet to find out that answer lol.

johndamon
Level 8
lol thank you Myk, sometimes we need someone to point out the common sense answer in order to realize that we are overthinking things. I guess I'll just have to give it a shot and see if the tubing I have reaches where I want it to reach! Thanks for the reply man, I appreciate it!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
No worries mate, oh and if you're interested...here's a better kit of compression fittings, though I have no idea if the EK kit you're getting has a tool to help screw down your compression fittings, but, I saw this kit on my fav Aussie e-tailer's site and think the tool is a pretty damn good idea...saves the knurling on your fingers lol

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21467

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
No worries mate, oh and if you're interested...here's a better kit of compression fittings, though I have no idea if the EK kit you're getting has a tool to help screw down your compression fittings, but, I saw this kit on my fav Aussie e-tailer's site and think the tool is a pretty damn good idea...saves the knurling on your fingers lol

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21467

he already have fittings in his kit myk so he dont have to buy extra for that.......
if he was gona buy it he had to buy 2 kits of those and would be sitting whit 4 non used fitting in the end.

kkn wrote:
he already have fittings in his kit myk so he dont have to buy extra for that.......
if he was gona buy it he had to buy 2 kits of those and would be sitting whit 4 non used fitting in the end.

I know mate, I made the recommendation as I wasn't sure if there was a tool that he could use for the compression fittings in the kit...since stuff like that comes at a premium...like the fittings I linked LOL

johndamon
Level 8
Nice! Somebody deserves some recognition for this better mousetrap! My kit does have a tool, I believe. But I do not think that it is as well conceived as the one in your link.

johndamon wrote:
Nice! Somebody deserves some recognition for this better mousetrap! My kit does have a tool, I believe. But I do not think that it is as well conceived as the one in your link.

the ones your geting in your kit you can fasten in by hand, but if your gona open them again ( to pull out the tube ) they may be locked tight so it comes of from the base they are fastened too ( the rad for example ).
heres what in the kit your getting-> http://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits-cases/kits/ek-kit-h3o-360-hfx.html#