cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New, first time in a long long time build advice

afa7336
Level 7
So, I haven't actually done this in years and so finding myself learning stuff over again. I've got all the parts picked out, and was wondering if anyone could pick apart my build and see where I went wrong and right, if possible. 🙂 My goal is to have an awesome looking case setup, with a decent OC on all cores to about 4.7ish Ghz.

System
Case: NZXT Switch 810
Motherboard: ROG Maximius V Formula
Processor: i7 3770k
CPU Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60 (Stock fans)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1866 (Red)
Case Fans: Noctua A14 FLX (Front x2, Rear x1, Top x1, Bottom x1); Noctua A14 ULN (Angled ones x2)
Hard Drives: Toshiba 2TB SATA 3 x3 and Sandisk 32GB SSD ReadyCache
Optical Drive: HP Black Blu-ray Writer
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (Overkill I know, but I want more not less incase I upgrade down the road)
Graphics Card: MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC x2
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 2 (Controls the two internal angled fans)
Accessory 1: NZXT Hue Controller

Devices
Keyboard: Azio Levetron Mech5
Mouse: Asus GX1000 Eagle Eye
Headset: Asus Orion Pro
Webcam: Logitech C920
Speakers: Logitech Z506
Monitors: ASUS VG Series VG23AH (Total of 3)
15 REPLIES 15

kkn
Level 14
if its for gaming and not movie/file rendering i would say that 8 - 16 gig of memory is more then enough.
if rendering/photoshop/++ then go whit the 32gig.
controll all the fans whit the controller, that way you dont have them to go full speed all the time.
that controller have 5 channels whit a termal probe on each, and you can connect fans whit a total wattage up to 10W per channel.
and if your going tri screen setup, go for a 4gig screencard, thats a must if so.

afa7336
Level 7
First off, thanks for the quick reply. I can def look at the RAM. I'm just using it for gaming so going down isn't that hard on me. As far as Graphics cards go, should I stay with the 670 and look at a 4GB version or look at something else? (And should I get two or just 1?) And the fans, most I was going to use the Motherboard to control them. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to doing it this way?

chrsplmr
Level 18
afa7336 ... Welcome to ROG.

The first place to start is to ask yourself is not what you want, but what do you need it for.imho
General use is a given, they all do that .. generally.
Then gaming, graphics/video rendering, benching or all around 'toy'?

Your 'devices' scream Gamer to me .. but you are not limited in this.
The 'Formula', imo, is the way to go for all but the Extreme OC'r's or the more 'portable' Gene'r's.
I would re-think 'vengeance' though .. consider both an upgrade in quality and downgrade in 'volume'
[ie.. 32GB of Memory is serious OverKill for all but the most demanding of rendering projects.]
Although can be quite handy for setting up 'RamDisks' to save on SSD wear and tear of gaming, 16gb
is generally sufficient for this.

The SSD is 'adequate' but you may want to consider suggestions that will surely follow, or look @ other
Members Signatures to see what is being successfully used.
[This is also a good way to get an idea of what is working for others.]
6TB of HardDrive space is mindBoggl'n level, unless you have a BaZillion songs or Zillion movies you
want to store. I more lean to 1TB 10,000rpm 'Raptor' and maybe 1x2TB for general storage, until more is needed or
as backup/duplicates of important files, ect.

As to GPU/VideoCards .. I see under Devices also listed X3 Monitors. AMD, imo, Owns this area. 2x7970's may
be more to your needs ...

The case is very handsome and affords a sweet view of your system. I, although it lacks a window, lean more
toward the CoolerMaster StormTrooper for a plethera of reasons to long to list here, Ill let CM pitch that.

Last but not least Intel/AMD ??? Although the most personally respected, and there are Many, Member/Staff
here on the forum said it for me the best after testing/tweaking everything under the Sun .. Max and Ivy
are hard to beat. I have to give a shout out for your consideration The CrossHair V and 8350 which when
paired with the 7970's and maybe some DominatorGT/Platinum, imho, may have it by a nose in Gaming.
And OC'n to your target is no issue.

Other things to consider. The more RAM, the harder to OC 'Stable' for real world use.
Gaming in general screams @ 1600 and defaults with any cpu/ram. [I know, the fun is in the OC Tweak. 'For the edge.']

Best of Luck in this.
Please don't take offense as this is just my opinion as you asked. I was not finding fault with your choices .. any can
be 'made' to work here @ ROG.
Keep us posted. Any way you go promises to be quite a build.
'We' are 'pic' addicts .. post a log if you take a notion, 'we' would love it and appreciate it.c.

afa7336
Level 7
Thanks chrsplmr, and before I continue, thank you for replying. I don't take offense easily, nor would I. It's been about 5+ years since I've been inside a computer case for more then cleaning purposes so any advice no matter what is appreciated. So much has changed, while so much has stayed the same. I wouldn't have posted here, if I was going to curl up in the corner in the fetal position saying 'They don't like my system, wahhh.' lol. My philosophy on things like this is, if you don't know everything, ALWAYS seek advice before actually buying stuff. Saves the hassle of either returning or eating the cost and having to spend way more money.

Yep, extreme gamer, everything from Minecraft, KSP, all the way up to bigger name games. I got busy with family, and started buying prebuilt systems including a Macbook Pro (Better halfs choice) and an Alienware, but want to get back into building one again. I still even have my old set of tools in the closet.

I already have about 2.5TB of Movies/TV Box sets on an external, so the hard drive space is needed. I tend, when I buy my movies rip them onto the Computer so I can watch them whenever wherever. And yeah, I've got a couple shelves full of movies already.

I can def look into other makers of GPUs, I've only had Nvidia and had some good luck with them in the past so decided to stay with them. I can also look into lowering the RAM down to 1600. Would save me a few dollars to. (I can hear the nagging already, "You spent HOW MUCH, and you could have gotten something just as good cheaper!" lol.)

As far as case choices go, I looked into the Storm Trooper, and while it is a handsome case its not for me. It doesn't even have to do with the window on it. I prefer for my main fans to be controlled via the motherboard, always have. This will be the first time using a fan controller, but thats because I want all fans filled and running at once.

And yeah, plenty of pictures/videos will be taken, not just for here but for my own collection. As soon as I get what I want set in stone and ordered, I'll have my garage setup to record the build.

kkn
Level 14
by the way chris, the case have a window........... ( since i have the same case ).
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15980/cst-1307/NZXT_Switch_810_Full_Tower_ATX_Chassis_-_Black_Exte...

if your in to FPS games or action filled games ( not MMO's ) i would recomend a ssd for games ( 120gig minimum for it ).
for OS 120gig minimum, fast boot, keep it low and save large programs on a hdd to keep the ssd low on fill.

kkn wrote:
by the way chris, the case have a window........... ( since i have the same case ).
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15980/cst-1307/NZXT_Switch_810_Full_Tower_ATX_Chassis_-_Black_Exte...

if your in to FPS games or action filled games ( not MMO's ) i would recomend a ssd for games ( 120gig minimum for it ).
for OS 120gig minimum, fast boot, keep it low and save large programs on a hdd to keep the ssd low on fill.

I think he was more talking about the Storm Trooper, which doesn't. It took me a second to realize it too, myself. 😛

chrsplmr
Level 18
kkn .. i meant the stormT didnt.. saw the other did .. sorry for the misSpeak. SSD advice spot on.

afa .. "wahhhh" ... hahhahha cracked me up .. well said. so true, especially here, one only doesnt know
until they ask ..
As to the nagg'n .. hahhaha ... remember this phrase. 'I got it all on sale.' ... and leave out the total.. hahhaa
"so cheap, I'm embarrassed to mention it honey" .. hahhahahaa "I saved more than I spent, I'm ahead." hehe
The case ??? now ya got me confused .. fan controllers are listed, and they aint cheap, in your list ??? Im suggesting
as a package .. minus the window .. what about filtering? .. and? .. or? .. et. [just say'n.]
Sounds like u got this on lock bro .. can't wait to see the outcome.
and your more than welcome, i assure you.c.

Not to push this .. hahaha .. but if you have 7minutes .. indulge.

Adhy_Dharma_FN
Level 7
Choose NZXT Lexa S. Look great
Next Build
- AMD Vishera FX-8350
- AMD Radeon HD 7870

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have not seen a upper limit with regard to budget here. I would make one or two small changes that is all.

Motherboard Maximus VI Hero or Formula

4570K if a gamer or a 4770K if into media rendering and you need the extra threads that HT brings. Most of the time people do not.

Ram 16GB is the sweet spot for gaming and 99% of all applications currently. Again if video rendering is part of the job then 32GB otherwise not.
2133MHz 2 x 8GB is my pick currently you do not notice higher frequency and you want two sticks rather than four.

SSD find the capacity that suits you. Most of the early gremlins are no put to bed with SSD production and all SATA 6GB units are very good. Do not beleive or get sucked into the numbers on the box. That is marketing speak. Get the capacity that you will be comfortable with. I defy anyone to tell the difference between a 550MB and 350MB read or write SSD in the real world. RAID will slow your boot time up so a single larger SSD works quite well.

Graphics - two key points to remember. AMD offers a multiple upgrade path due to CrossfireX, that means you can use any combination of models of AMD GPU to go dual graphics in the future. nVidea does not allow that, SLi requires the same model and same amount of Vram. Second point there are no best cards, there are only cards. Some fanboi's love the pictrure quality of the nVid (green team) others love the AMD (red team) picture. Both are good. Reference cards are made in the same factory and simply have the different vendors stick their labels on the cooler.

PSU is the foundation of your system. You can have the bare minimum and your system will work. However this is one area that I advocate overkill, I want my PSU to be working at 60% of maximum rated power regardless of the Gold or Silver badge on the PSU. So for a single card you are looking in the 750 - 1000 Watts range.

Cases are like women and wine what ever works for you.

Cooling for the Haswell you will need a H100 or similar for 4.7GHz overclock and even then that is CPU dependant.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.