cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7970 Matrix Platinum Overclocking - can't break 1180mhz

B0UJI
Level 7
Hey all,
Just wanted to inquire with the wisdom of the forum about what luck any one has had overclocking the Matrix 7970 platinum.

If I lock the GPU Clock + Voltage together and push to 1200 I get major artifacting in the Heaven 4.0 Benchmark and a raft of errors when using the GPU test of OCCT (http://www.ocbase.com/).

I've been fiddling with it over the last few days untying the clock + voltage to be independent and have ended up with the settings:

GPU Clock: 1180Mhz
GPU Voltage: 1325mV
VDDCI Voltage: 875mV (the default left it unchanged)
Memory Clock: 7000Mhz
Memory Voltage: 1620mV
Power Target: 120%
Load Line: 75%
VRM Clock: 705Khz

With these setting I'm stable in Heaven 4.0 (ran for an hour in loop no identifiable artifacting) and will pass and error check GPU test in OCCT fine for an hour too. Temps are also fine, set up a custom fan profile to kick it up higher earlier and sits around 62* c on load.

What does anyone think? Any settings look wrong? Anything I can try adjust to get 1200Mhz GPU Clock stable?

I'm happy with 1180Mhz if that's all I'll get but just thought I'd throw it out see if there's something obvious I've missed.

Thanks!
53 REPLIES 53

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nope I never had much luck with any of my Matrix cards when it came to overclocking them either. Zka17 has three as well and he did not get spectacular results either.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Zka17 has three as well and he did not get spectacular results either.

Thank you, HiVizman... - and I was thinking that I'm doing good... 😄 But yes, you're right! I was expecting more off these cards...

However, all what I did until now is that I mounted waterblocks on them, no hotwire or other mods yet (collecting more infos about those)... - I may be lucky, but all three of my cards can do 1250MHz on the GPU on air and 1300MHz easily (except Vantage) on water...

BOUJI, 62C is pretty high for those cards... I assume, you meant 62C on the GPU... - then the VRMs are way too high (you can not measure that unfortunately) and the card is downclocking...

Zka17 wrote:
BOUJI, 62C is pretty high for those cards... I assume, you meant 62C on the GPU... - then the VRMs are way too high (you can not measure that unfortunately) and the card is downclocking...

It doesn't seem to be down clocking as everything is showing the CoreClock stable and Memory at 7000 - not dropping down at any point. If i see any artifacting or any halts I'll drop the Memory Clock back to 6600.

Or should I try drop the VRM clock and see if it's still stable?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
My best guess, would be depending on when you purchased your Matrix, if you got one in the 1st deployment you'd have been golden...but then, AMD decided it would be a good idea to put a voltage lock on the 7xxx series after a certain time...which was, I think what affected the 2nd deployment of the Matrix cards, if memory serves correctly it was that time the voltage lock was enforced.

B0UJI
Level 7
Fair enough, thanks for the quick responses. It's not voltage locked for sure as I can push the voltage up and down independently. But second I go to 1190 it's starts getting errors in OCCT fast no matter how higher I push the voltage.

Does the power target need to be 120% too? Or can I lower you reckon? Or does it not matter as it only draws more if it needs it.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The fact of the matter is that any overclocking head room on a graphic card is a bonus. To put that in perspective the first few of cards I had were bought the week the HD7970 were released. They were stock reference cards. 4 out of the 5 cards did 1300MHz Unigine Heaven. None of my so called special cards that I bought later, Lightnings or any others have come close to clocking as well on air as those first cards.

On LN2 it was a whole different ball game. Because the big difference was the power delivery system. So getting close to 1750MHz on the core was possible using LN2 and adding some voltage.

But air clocking nope the first batch were great for me and nothing has come close since then.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

twisted1
Level 12
HiVizMan that's very true, they Matrix ie. is really made for sub zero, low ASIC gpu's and the 20 phase powerdelivery is so overkill it can easily power two 7970's @1.2-1,3Ghz. The Ares 2 has the exact same powerdelivery, and that's got two gpu's 😛

My Matrix is really lovely tho, i'm getting it above 1300Mhz benchmark stable. And thats w/o hotwire and OCP mod's. So I'm really happy with mine. Only thing I dont like is that I want another one but can't get a hold of one.

Got a dirt-cheap Dcu2 top instead and lucky me, seems to be a good sample. Not quite keeping up with the matrix but rock stable up too 1250Mhz on gpu. Need to hotwire that so I can get Vmem and PLL adjusted.

OP: Lover your mem clocks, mine can sometimes artifact above 7000mhz on mem. The hynix mem. is actually only specced for 1600Mhz if i remember correctly and it's already OC'd with stock settings on the matrix. So leave the mem alone and just tweak gpu, when you find the limit for gpu you can tweak mem.

Powertarget always maxed out when OC.

B0UJI
Level 7
Allrighty I'll keep it at 120% power target.

Thanks guys it's been very informative. Quite happy now with my 1180 overclock.

Twisted1 - I haven't seen any artifacting and the OCCT GPU test reported no memory errors after an hour, also ran heaven for an hour numerous times + just tried the Metro and Bioshock Infinite benchmarks and all seemed fine (no artifacting).

Nice boost in performance too! Did notice that possibly my "minimum" framerates may have dropped a bit but maximums are WAAAAY up. Any one seen this behavior with OC's?

twisted1
Level 12
Once you get the hot-wire set up you'll get alot more voltage headroom, and you can disable OCP. OCP is just good for messing upp OC's 😉