Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    178
    Posts
    2,229

    Quote Originally Posted by bignazpwns View Post
    Nah wont call it new until they add some key features like new ports "Like a optical out" MSATA slot" stuff like that. If that's the case then the VX was a new system when in reality it was just a refresh. Haswell never impressed me i was really looking for more cpu power but in the G75 people just wont see a diff between ivy or haswell. Batt. life wont be much longer, performance increase people just wont really see it outside of numbers in benches.

    Chances are it will be using the same GTX 670MX as the VX just to burn up some stock and the second version will have the nvidia GTX 7XX in it. Personally im hoping they up the quality of the LCD's since they suck and spend some cash where they need to so they can be competitive. Fix the issues that plague the G75 series then move on.
    hm.. if you put it that way.. well, unless we can have a msata ssd that has the same performance of standard ssd's (so far msata is still a bit behind).

    right, they should give us a nicer speakers, too :/ don't let msi continues to use that as the selling point (if you watched the video at msi)

    edit: the msi video (source), speaker sound comparison at 5:53 onward.
    Last edited by rewben; 05-12-2013 at 12:19 PM.

  2. #32
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    i hope the wait is over this time
    yeah i have to agree that it's PITA to put the mSATA in the laptop.

    i bet the power brick is smaller this time (150w, if the posted specs are right).

    the cooling of asus machines is the most apparent differentiator from competitions, imo (that's the main reason i like this g55 more than m17x r4 :/)
    That's what I've found. Most of the other gaming notebooks I've seen generate a ton of noise, and are often only marginally faster. I would rather have the reduced noise because I don't game (and I have a G53SX LOL ). One of my buddies has the Toshiba Qosmio, and he says that it has really good cooling, along with fairly low noise emissions, which I'd believe, considering the size of the cooling slot on the side.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  3. #33
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    178
    Posts
    2,229

    Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    That's what I've found. Most of the other gaming notebooks I've seen generate a ton of noise, and are often only marginally faster. I would rather have the reduced noise because I don't game (and I have a G53SX LOL ). One of my buddies has the Toshiba Qosmio, and he says that it has really good cooling, along with fairly low noise emissions, which I'd believe, considering the size of the cooling slot on the side.
    yeah; loud noise is annoying :/

    i have no experience with a qosmio. oh it runs optimus; that's something i don't wanna have.

  4. #34
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    209

    My old gt70 was very loud, I could hear the fan with headphones on. I have my vx OC to the max msi afterburner will go and I can barley hear the thing running after hours of BF3.... The sound isn't great out of te laptop, but I use headphone most of the time with a aftermarket sound card. The keyboard and sound is were MSI really shines, nothing that matter for me as I use headphones, mouse and nostromo game pad anyway...

  5. #35
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    178
    Posts
    2,229

    Quote Originally Posted by pathfindercod View Post
    My old gt70 was very loud, I could hear the fan with headphones on. I have my vx OC to the max msi afterburner will go and I can barley hear the thing running after hours of BF3.... The sound isn't great out of te laptop, but I use headphone most of the time with a aftermarket sound card. The keyboard and sound is were MSI really shines, nothing that matter for me as I use headphones, mouse and nostromo game pad anyway...
    that's terrible for a gt70 :/

    yeah.. i am using headsets with usb soundcards, too. however, it sounds bad when i use it for presentation.

  6. #36
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    yeah; loud noise is annoying :/

    i have no experience with a qosmio. oh it runs optimus; that's something i don't wanna have.
    I've had Toshiba's in the past, and I recommend them to people who want a good laptop with good support (ASUS and Toshiba are comparable on reliability, but Toshiba's customer support is much better). I didn't want Opimus, because it makes LINUX support pretty close to impossible, and I would rather have a good LINUX machine than slightly better battery life (which is of little importance in a desktop replacement).
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  7. #37
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    178
    Posts
    2,229

    Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    I've had Toshiba's in the past, and I recommend them to people who want a good laptop with good support (ASUS and Toshiba are comparable on reliability, but Toshiba's customer support is much better). I didn't want Opimus, because it makes LINUX support pretty close to impossible, and I would rather have a good LINUX machine than slightly better battery life (which is of little importance in a desktop replacement).
    you see, that key word, 'support', is important to those we recommend the products. for people like us who are used to tear down stuff and manage to put it back together, that's not a problem. however, to those old folks who wish to play dota2 with their grand children, it becomes another story. where i'm from asus is way behind than other brands in this area; and one thing that might be the cause to the sub-par support service is the design of devices being not service friendly.

    by the way, i've heard that there are changes in asus service center in my area. they start to offer custom upgrades which are within the boundary of warranty (users buy parts, they put them in). if that is true, it's a good sign they are now putting efforts in after-sale support (and i don't mind help filling up those service forms if the support is good haha).

  8. #38
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    you see, that key word, 'support', is important to those we recommend the products. for people like us who are used to tear down stuff and manage to put it back together, that's not a problem. however, to those old folks who wish to play dota2 with their grand children, it becomes another story. where i'm from asus is way behind than other brands in this area; and one thing that might be the cause to the sub-par support service is the design of devices being not service friendly.

    by the way, i've heard that there are changes in asus service center in my area. they start to offer custom upgrades which are within the boundary of warranty (users buy parts, they put them in). if that is true, it's a good sign they are now putting efforts in after-sale support (and i don't mind help filling up those service forms if the support is good haha).
    Yeah! I've heard rumors of improving support, but that's still a good sign. I'd like to ASUS take on the others with good customer support, since it is what will change their status among consumers. I'd rather have a cheap computer with good hardware and lousy support than a more expensive computer (albeit with good support) that has support I'll never use. lol
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  9. #39
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    178
    Posts
    2,229

    Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    Yeah! I've heard rumors of improving support, but that's still a good sign. I'd like to ASUS take on the others with good customer support, since it is what will change their status among consumers. I'd rather have a cheap computer with good hardware and lousy support than a more expensive computer (albeit with good support) that has support I'll never use. lol
    hehe same here. however, i have to admit that to bring up the brand it's the good support that counts for most of the users

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •