cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updates bios from 1404, now problems

thegovernment
Level 7
I just updated my bios from 1404 to the one that was in the bios converter. My raid 0 array is no longer an option to boot from. I can force it to boot from it on the list below the boot priority but it's not giving me the option in the boot list. I've never seen that before. I'm also trying to update the bios to the latest and I've DL the new bios from Asus's site but it keeps saying it's not
compitable. I though doing the bios converter changed it to use the new CAP. files? I'm using EZ flash 2 BTW.

Thanks for any help you may have.
23 REPLIES 23

thegovernment
Level 7
ok, well, I loaded defaults after my bios converter update, changed to raid mode, forced raid 0 to boot. After posting this message, pc got a black screen, had to hard reboot and now my raid 0 is recognized and is in the boot menu again and works fine? WTF is up with that??

Anyways I went into my EZ flash and it says it's not an EFI bios. I'm sure there is just some setting or something I'm missing.

m_oreilly
Level 7
did you change anything under the csm heading? the rog flashback method is best. i would avoid using the ezflash method. just what update did you install (bios version)? your settings get wiped when updating bios, so you should be ready to reset your previously successful settings manually. i found that using the settings copy to usb drive not the best when updating, but for just a same bios reset, it is slick, so write down/take uefi screen shots of settings prior to any bios upgrade. i pretty much always have to double check that my raid is first boot (unless using the uefi/gpt volume/non orom install). sounds like you have just accomplished a typical, successful bios update 😉
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
2x OCZ Vector 256gb raid0 via UEFI
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro

The bios was the one that came preloaded on the bios converter that I DL'd from Asus. 2105 I think it was? At first I assumed after loading defaults that, lke always, you have to choose your raid array as your boot drive but it wasn't even an option. I had just finished typing when the pc black screened and hard reset. I dunno, it seem to be fine now though.

I still can't update to the latest bios though. It keeps saying that it's not a EFI bios. I DL'd it from the asus site.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Have your run the CAP converter yet?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

i ran the cap converter to get the 2105 bios as it was pre loaded on there. so do i have to run the converter everytime i want to update the bios? i thought once you ran the converter it changed from rom to cap and you could just dl the cap bios and update like you normally would.
if i do have to run the cap converter every time, do i just put the bios i want on the memory stick as well as the converter file? would it jot load the 2105 that is already inbedded in the converter file?

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you have run it once then that is good enough.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

thegovernment
Level 7
so is there any good reason i keep getting a message that "this is not a EFI bios" when i try to update to the newest bios?
i dl the bios from the asus website and tried 3 different usb sticks. Im stumped lol

m_oreilly
Level 7
format the usb to fat32, and if still using the ez method, make sure you are not in a usb.3 port, but i strongly suggest you use the flashback/rog port option. next, rename the .cap file to reflect your mobo:
i use the iv gene board, so i rename my bios updates to R4G.CAP., then using the rog port, press the flashback button until it starts blinking, and let it go until no lights are blinking, on the board or usb drive. it doesn't matter which release version you have when renaming using abbreviation re your board version/bios update version when using the flashback/rog port method, plus the flashback method is a bit safer/reliable...
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
2x OCZ Vector 256gb raid0 via UEFI
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro

thegovernment
Level 7
OK so I DL the new asus bios from a different site and it flashed no problem in flashback. The one I DL from asus wouldn't work. I DL it 3 or 4
times as well. I dunno whats up with that. I've been messing with my pc for about 3 hours and couldn't boot into windows for the longest time, even defaults wouldn't boot for some reason. I pulled the battery and let it sit for a few hours and it after another fre attempts, it finally booted. I then found out, windows will not boot if I turn off stepspeed in the bois. I can make my OC, pretty much change any setting but if I turn off stepspeed? it won't boot and won't boot even if I go back into the bios and turn it on. I have to clear Cmos and do my steps all over again. I've confirmed by loading defaults (now it lets me boot with that for some reason) and only turning off stepspeed and it freezes at the win 7 startup every time. Why on earth would that be happening?
If I don't turn it off, no problems and can get my 4.6 oc back on my 3930K. That one setting at its freeze time lol